IPL 2020

I’ve watched some of this. And have decided one truth

I simply don’t care about franchise cricket. I accept there are some great players, but I don’t know who plays for who. And I realise that team mates today will be playing against each other in a matter of weeks in another franchise. Great talent doesn’t make a great competition.

I agree with this, and it's why I don't watch the IPL. There's great talent on show but I can't get invested in what is pretty much mercenary cricket.

I watched almost every game of IPL last season. I thought the competition was excellent because it was one of those years where more obscure players got a real chance as the World Cup was round the corner and some nations wanted their players back for preparation before the competition ended (England were one).

That's the good thing about IPL. The glitz and glamour of the big names doesn't always pay off. RCP had a top order of Gayle, Kohli and De Villiers yet have never won the IPL.

It can unearth some unknown quantities who for the first time in their careers were playing in front of full house crowds and broadcast on television around the world. It can fast-track a youngster's career or give a 30 year old journeyman cricketer a reputation and prestige he never had before.

I watched almost every game of IPL last season. I thought the competition was excellent because it was one of those years where more obscure players got a real chance as the World Cup was round the corner and some nations wanted their players back for preparation before the competition ended (England were one).

That's the good thing about IPL. The glitz and glamour of the big names doesn't always pay off. RCP had a top order of Gayle, Kohli and De Villiers yet have never won the IPL.

It can unearth some unknown quantities who for the first time in their careers were playing in front of full house crowds and broadcast on television around the world. It can fast-track a youngster's career or give a 30 year old journeyman cricketer a reputation and prestige he never had before.
I hear what you are saying and agree that it has its place and delivers a fine spectacle.

however imo, to go down this route in England with the 100 will fail due to alienating the 90% plus of cricket watchers who go to grounds currently.

yes it may initially look successful when it arrives but when you target people who like to follow a new fad, they quickly move on.

then the alienation of the 90% plus comes into focus and they may very well say, enough enough and not return.

if the 100 was to be played countrywide with county sides, boosted by the ENGLAND players such as stokes and buttler were involved, you would see an increase in numbers of crowds everywhere

the problem the FTECB have achieved is by denying people from seeing stokes playing for durham, has diminished the chances of capturing the attention of floating customers to attend CLS

the solution has always been simple. Allow England players to take part in the t20 blast, added with some of the franchise mercenaries and you would see crowds increase, more advertising revenues and a better england team

instead they have piled it all in for 8 grounds in the country and graves himself stated he expected some counties to disappear.

all wrong, will prove to be wrong and eventually the 100 or an improved t20 competition as I described will be delivered

Not read you for a while Ed. Hope everything is going well in your world ?
Yeah all good thanks Carty how are you? dont get much chance these days to post do still lurk from time to time. Getting my cricket fix in now as we could be waiting a while before we see some more.

Yeah all good thanks Carty how are you? dont get much chance these days to post do still lurk from time to time. Getting my cricket fix in as could be waiting a while before we see some more.
I’m hanging in there. The mrs and I are classed as being in the vulnerable to Covid, so barely been further than to Sunderland since January.

ive enjoyed what cricket we have had during the last couple of months though. Fingers crossed we get a full season in 2021

I do think that they are starting to get credibility and identity now though - there are 13 years of head to head stats, there are stalwart players, there are loyal fanbases etc.

And I know I’ll be a lone voice on this but I think our franchise comp will be the same 10-15 years in, to the kids growing up in that era.

It’s the overseas players that move, similar to our blast not the top Indian players, the likes of Rohit and Bumrah have always played for Mumbai, Kohli always Bangalore, Dohni and Rana CSK and so on.

Don’t get this argument that players move every year they don’t.

Last edited:
I find it funny that people moan about the franchise element of IPL or The Hundred, when by the most popular sport here is franchise football.

This was one of the main reasons I switched from following Middlesbrough FC to Durham back in the 90s. Obviously Durham had their fair share of mercenaries too in the early days. It's a shame they seem to be losing their identity of late - having a core of locals should be what it's about.

I've never really understood why people want to support franchises, but regardless there's virtually no difference between the EPL, the IPL, The Hundred and pretty much all American sport. I'd much rather watch international sport any day of the week.

I find it funny that people moan about the franchise element of IPL or The Hundred, when by the most popular sport here is franchise football.

This was one of the main reasons I switched from following Middlesbrough FC to Durham back in the 90s. Obviously Durham had their fair share of mercenaries too in the early days. It's a shame they seem to be losing their identity of late - having a core of locals should be what it's about.

I've never really understood why people want to support franchises, but regardless there's virtually no difference between the EPL, the IPL, The Hundred and pretty much all American sport. I'd much rather watch international sport any day of the week.
Franchise football in the U.K.?

where is that occurring?

franchise football in the nfl, I understand but in the U.K.? When is the franchise draft in the U.K. for football?

when is the Super Bowl in the U.K. for the franchises?

just help an old fella understand what on Earth you are talking about, please?

Franchise football in the U.K.?

where is that occurring?

franchise football in the nfl, I understand but in the U.K.? When is the franchise draft in the U.K. for football?

when is the Super Bowl in the U.K. for the franchises?

just help an old fella understand what on Earth you are talking about, please?

It isn’t franchise I agree.

But it’s blokes whoring themselves about for money to an extent that doesn’t happen in the CC. And less local players.

It isn’t franchise I agree.

But it’s blokes whoring themselves about for money to an extent that doesn’t happen in the CC. And less local players.
I understand that fully but that’s not what was stated.

im not going into our usual tennis rally re the 100 and those franchises but to bring football into the conversation is beyond me.

In my opinion the ECB had something good and unique with the Pro-40 competition they had. So used to ODIs where the middle period of the 50 overs are total borefests with batsmen happy to nudge around and play safe and the bowling side giving the ball to part-timers to give gentle throw-downs. The 40 over domestic county competition allowed teams to have twice as long to build an innings than in the T20s, but not too long where you can play at a pedestrian pace and catch up at the end like in 50 overs.

I understand that fully but that’s not what was stated.

im not going into our usual tennis rally re the 100 and those franchises but to bring football into the conversation is beyond me.

No mate I agree on the franchises, technically he’s incorrect. But I understand re what he’s getting at - how in terms of soul the Premier League is lacking a bit.

Back