Inside No.9

I`ve just gone back and started watching these from Season 1 again. The one with Sheridan Smith where she has flash backs is quite probably one of the best pieces of writing for a short story that I have ever seen. It is utterly brilliant.

As a single 30 minute episode of anything, it's as good as there is. Amazing how much was packed into such a short time.

As a single 30 minute episode of anything, it's as good as there is. Amazing how much was packed into such a short time.
To be honest, I remember watching that the day after my Mum died and the moment that Sheridan Smith realised that it was her life flashing before her eyes, made me burst into tears. Watching it again two and half years later brought it all back and I was welling up again. It was brilliantly written, very clever and very powerful to me to watch at that particular moment.

I`ve just gone back and started watching these from Season 1 again. The one with Sheridan Smith where she has flash backs is quite probably one of the best pieces of writing for a short story that I have ever seen. It is utterly brilliant.

Especially when you watch it for a second time knowing what is actually going on - you see things you will have missed the first time around which all make sense on the repeat viewing (like the toy police car on the floor and also the flashing lights (can't remember if they were fireworks or Xmas tree lights, it's years since I watched it). Brilliant.

You hear things too, like the incidental music between scenes is the car windscreen wipers…

Yeah, like I say it's a long time since I watched it but can remember there were loads of little things put in which were obviously what she was seeing/hearing but got distorted in to her dying thoughts. Sublime writing.
Like the very first scene when she gets carried in to her flat by her boyfriend who's wearing a fancy dress Fireman's costume.

Last edited:
That episode (Twelve Days of Christine) is one of my favourite episodes of anything, ever. I’m not massively fussed about their horror stuff - I find Shearsmith and Pemberton at their best when they include pathos in their work, often with a payoff centred around it. I found Diddle Diddle Dumpling (the missing shoe) and Bernie Clifton’s Dressing Room to be excellent for those reasons.

Regardless, they are extremely clever and talent writers. The variety of output on show in this programme is astounding.

Especially when you watch it for a second time knowing what is actually going on - you see things you will have missed the first time around which all make sense on the repeat viewing (like the toy police car on the floor and also the flashing lights (can't remember if they were fireworks or Xmas tree lights, it's years since I watched it). Brilliant.
Exactly. I told my kids to put their phones down and concentrate and take note of little details as they were important. They thought it was brilliant. Like you say though, things become even clearer and show the quality of the writing on watching it again.
Yeah, like I say it's a long time since I watched it but can remember there were loads of little things put in which were obviously what she was seeing/hearing but got distorted in to her dying thoughts. Sublime writing.
Like the very first scene when she gets carried in to her flat by her boyfriend who's wearing a fancy dress Fireman's costume.
And there`s something that I missed after watching it 3 or 4 times now. Brilliant detail. Absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:
I have the scripts from the first three series and at some point plan to sit down and analyse them (especially this episode) against the show, see how much is in the original writing and how much is added/improvised.
I suspect the lesson that I will learn is that they are geniuses and I'm not.:lol:

Back