India 🇮🇳 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 5th Test Dharamshala 🏔️

I think in general sports fans have far too short memories.

Even if you put aside just for one minute the awesome summer of 2022 and the superb 3-0 victory away in Pakistan.

And just look at recent tests last 8 for example.

First four of that 8 was 2 victories against the best side in the world the Aussies and a certain victory taken away but for rain and a win in India in their conditions.

That first four, second four obviously extremely disappointing.

But our last 8 tests against best side in the world and India in India would have been 4-4 but for two days of rain

And like I say that’s before going into the games before that we were nothing short of superb for 18 months.

So before dropping all and sundry personally bit perspective needed to look at results of this team before the inevitable defeat in this series.

Form some people it doesn't matter if we win or lose as long as we are doing things the perceived correct way. Even when we were destroying all in sundry the praise by some was through gritted teeth

If you look at our bowling attack, I cant imagine as a batsman that will fill you with confidence when you then look at the oppositions

I believe the key to winning in India, is to bat obdurate in the first 50 overs, play 8 batters, then start to go after the attack once they begin to tire. I also believe in the old saying that time in the middle is imperative so a warm up game before the series starts, likely against India A, then another mid series.

All easier said than done, but If everyone were available. having Stokes being a fully fit bowler again, then I would go with something like the below ie 8 front line batters and 9,10 jack can all bat with 5 bowlers (Root, Stokes, Hartley, Ahmed, Wood). If your bowlers are not at the level of the opposition, play to your strengths with the long batting depth.

1 Duckett
2. Crawley
3 - Pope
4 - Root
5 - Brook
6 - Bairstow
7 - Stokes
8 - Lawrence
9 - Hartley
10 - Ahmed
11 - Wood
Haway man. Who are the players we have in the county game capable of playing in India who can bat time for 50 overs in India. When we had Cook, Strauss, Bell, Colly, KP etc then maybe. You have Stokes there - he barely played a shot in anger all series and barely got a run. Duckett can’t defend time, never could. Pope’s judgement on leaving a ball is piss poor. These players get out playing defensively because they don’t have good enough techniques especially against spin. Playing an extra batsman rarely ever gets you the results you hope for.

Form some people it doesn't matter if we win or lose as long as we are doing things the perceived correct way. Even when we were destroying all in sundry the praise by some was through gritted teeth
I think sometimes people get more upset when we competing in games or series and end up losing than they do when we get beat massively which we did with regular occurrence 1 win 17 tests before this regime took over

Same as when batsman score decent runs but then get out to perceived loose shots as opposed to batsman who score little runs and slowly but get out anyway.

Duckett is classic example of this, overall he has come back in the side in the very difficult position of opener and done very well and got us off to some terrific starts, but gets stick for getting out on occasions.

Where the likes of Sibley, Hameed who don’t take any risks, score slowly and get out for low scores anyway escape that mode of criticism because at least they got stuck in and didn’t give their wicket away.

It totally puzzles me

Last edited:
I think sometimes people get more upset when we competing in games or series and end up losing than they do when we get beat massively which we did with regular occurrence 1 win 17 tests before this regime took over

Same as when batsman score decent runs but then get out to perceived loose shots as opposed to batsman who score little runs and slowly but get out anyway.

Duckett is classic example of this, overall he has come back in the side in the very difficult position of opener and done very well and got us off to some terrific starts, but gets stick for getting out on occasions.

Where the likes of Sibley, Hameed who don’t take any risks, score slowly and get out for low scores anyway escape that mode of criticism because at least they got stuck in and didn’t give their wicket away.

It totally puzzles me

We've come unstuck against one of the most dominant home sides of all time.

We've had our moments in this series but faltered at key points. If we had just a little bit more quality at those times, it could have genuinely been a different story.

We've come unstuck against one of the most dominant home sides of all time.

We've had our moments in this series but faltered at key points. If we had just a little bit more quality at those times, it could have genuinely been a different story.
I think you right and I think they should rightly take criticism for faltering at them moments.

But at the same time we absolutely should not forget all the great work this team has done.

Too many posh, privately educated, haw-haws in the team who crumble under a bit of pressure. Need some working class lads in the team.

;)
Until cricket is played in secondary schools, I can't ever see that changing I'm afraid. The odd one might get through on talent alone. Just look at the Aussies and Kiwis. Granted their weather helps but for a relatively small population, they absolutely nail kids participation.

I think you right and I think they should rightly take criticism for faltering at them moments.

But at the same time we absolutely should not forget all the great work this team has done.

Yeah it's completely right to give criticism in those moments as it was more about our weaknesses than India's strengths but once they got their noses infront they didn't let us back in.

Until cricket is played in secondary schools, I can't ever see that changing I'm afraid. The odd one might get through on talent alone. Just look at the Aussies and Kiwis. Granted their weather helps but for a relatively small population, they absolutely nail kids participation.

Football at that age group is a monster. It's more or less 52 weeks of the year

Somerset fan here.....what is the verdict on Bashir?
Solid, reliable action. Bounce and tweak if not spectacular turn. He's been the brightest out of the 3 new spinners for me this series.
Yep, it's definitely a killer. Unless you have parents who push the kids through the grades a lot of kids fall by the wayside. Bigger issue for me is playing fields being sold and what little state school cricket being eroded away.

If it wasn't for the toffs we'd have an absolute shit pool to pick from.

Solid, reliable action. Bounce and tweak if not spectacular turn. He's been the brightest out of the 3 new spinners for me this series.

Yep, it's definitely a killer. Unless you have parents who push the kids through the grades a lot of kids fall by the wayside. Bigger issue for me is playing fields being sold and what little state school cricket being eroded away.

If it wasn't for the toffs we'd have an absolute shit pool to pick from.
Bit harsh on the Durham academy

It’s ridiculous these football summer leagues.

As a kid there was a distinct football season and cricket season with a slight overlap.

And as much as me and all the kids I knocked around simply loved football, you were ready for a break from it in the summer and focused on cricket.

Media to blame as well as it football football and more football.

As well as these people who want to take the competitive nature away, years ago sports days at my school were done away with and called activity days!!!

Last edited:

Back