India 🇮🇳 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 5th Test Dharamshala 🏔️

You can’t just keep going back to Jennings. See him plant his front foot too early and nick off to slip, drop him, bring him back and see him do the same. He would have been a good choice in India though. Agree with the rest.
Bairstow has just earned his 100th cap with a flawed technique that he’s barely tried to correct.

It’s unbelievable really, considering his average is exactly that - average

I would argue England have as good techniques as any around as they grow up against the moving ball.

The attacks they have come up against recently contain some of the best bowlers India and Australia have produced

The issue is England need a longer batting depth ie, Stokes at 7 and Bairstow at 8 to play front foot attacking cricket. Midway through this series they have gone back into their shells

Labaschagne is poor outside Australia due to his technique whilst Khawaja was Woods Bunny due to his technical deficiencies against quick short balls.

England's tail basically starts at 7 making their over attacking batting look shoddy if too many are out of form which is what has happened in this test series.

England need to be less aggressive early on and them press on the accelerator when sides begin to tire. We just dont bat long enough atm

I’m not so sure this current England side have especially good technique against the moving ball. Crawley drives to anything full, Duckett can’t leave and Pope doesn't play the moving ball particularly well. I think the likes of Khawaja, Smith, Conway, Williamson etc are better than any of our guys bar Root at playing the moving ball. It’s why prior to bazball we were too often 10 for 2. What our batsmen have done quite well at home is be aggressive and upset bowlers lines.

I would argue England have as good techniques as any around as they grow up against the moving ball.

The attacks they have come up against recently contain some of the best bowlers India and Australia have produced

The issue is England need a longer batting depth ie, Stokes at 7 and Bairstow at 8 to play front foot attacking cricket. Midway through this series they have gone back into their shells

Labaschagne is poor outside Australia due to his technique whilst Khawaja was Woods Bunny due to his technical deficiencies against quick short balls.

England's tail basically starts at 7 making their over attacking batting look shoddy if too many are out of form which is what has happened in this test.

How are you expecting our batters to play the best spinners in the world with no meaningful cricket behind them and a tail starting at 7?

With regards to your last point the lack of preparation didn’t prevent Crawley batting well all series. Pope and Duckett hitting sensational hundreds in the first two tests and the first test was the biggest turner of the series. We got worse as the series went on.

Pathetic and has to be major questions asked of a few players Pope, Bairstow who should be dropped permanently for me.

Stokes and Foakes both been awful this season Stokes is a dreadful player of spin. Other than Crawley none of the batsmen can say they have had a good series this summer tells us nothing playing 2 of the worst test sides there are.

With regards to your last point the lack of preparation didn’t prevent Crawley batting well all series. Pope and Duckett hitting sensational hundreds in the first two tests and the first test was the biggest turner of the series. We got worse as the series went on.

Scrambled minds after the Root fiasco shot? ie, your leading batsman plays an awful shot, gets slaughtered then plays an obdurate knock in the test?

My point stands, if you are going to play attacking cricket from ball one, you need more than 6 batters to compensate. On turning tracks we have come up short

Bairstow is not a test no,5, Foakes is not good enough as a batter, Stokes is too high at 6

How good would Indian batsman look against their own bowlers?

Scrambled minds after the Root fiasco shot? ie, your leading batsman plays an awful shot, gets slaughtered then plays an obdurate knock in the test?

My point stands, if you are going to play attacking cricket from ball one, you need more than 6 batters to compensate. On turning tracks we have come up short

Bairstow is not a test no,5, Foakes is not good enough as a batter, Stokes is too high at 6

How good would Indian batsman look against their own bowlers?
Better than ours because they used to it, and it’s their own conditions so it stands to reason if they used to facing top quality experienced spinners they will do better against our inexperienced ones.
Posted the below on the 21st January

And hope this England side continue to play the way that brought them success before this series.

Hope all not too harsh on England when the inevitable happens.

Listened to wisdon podcast the other day
they were saying India since Cooks team beat them there, have lost only 3 tests in 46 games never mind trying to win a series.

It’s extremely hard to win a test!!

We know it’s fact Mccullum’s style has given the players confidence to shine, and play without fear and has proved successful.

Really hope we could continue to play our test cricket with confidence and without fear whatever happens this series.

It’s near enough impossible nowadays to win there as we know they will doctor the pitches massively to suit their spinners, but playing the McCullum way has more chance then just defending and waiting for the inevitable imo.

Last edited:
I think in general sports fans have far too short memories.

Even if you put aside just for one minute the awesome summer of 2022 and the superb 3-0 victory away in Pakistan.

And just look at recent tests last 8 for example.

First four of that 8 was 2 victories against the best side in the world the Aussies and a certain victory taken away but for rain and a win in India in their conditions.

That first four, second four obviously extremely disappointing.

But our last 8 tests against best side in the world and India in India would have been 4-4 but for two days of rain

And like I say that’s before going into the games before that we were nothing short of superb for 18 months.

So before dropping all and sundry personally bit perspective needed to look at results of this team before the inevitable defeat in this series.

Last edited:
If you look at our bowling attack, I cant imagine as a batsman that will fill you with confidence when you then look at the oppositions

I believe the key to winning in India, is to bat obdurate in the first 50 overs, play 8 batters, then start to go after the attack once they begin to tire. I also believe in the old saying that time in the middle is imperative so a warm up game before the series starts, likely against India A, then another mid series.

All easier said than done, but If everyone were available. having Stokes being a fully fit bowler again, then I would go with something like the below ie 8 front line batters and 9,10 jack can all bat with 5 bowlers (Root, Stokes, Hartley, Ahmed, Wood). If your bowlers are not at the level of the opposition, play to your strengths with the long batting depth.

1 Duckett
2. Crawley
3 - Pope
4 - Root
5 - Brook
6 - Bairstow
7 - Stokes
8 - Lawrence
9 - Hartley
10 - Ahmed
11 - Wood

Back