Idle British workers would rather go to the pub

On reflection it is 100% but in reality it’s not quite as straight forward. Like I say every parent experiences things different and no one is in a position to say any other. All you can hope for is you do your best.

Papoose. Can’t understand how I missed that info off.
Blokes who wear those Papoose things should me sent to the frontline in Ukraine to get a sense of reality .

Not in my world so it would seem.

Behold 2024, the year men stop at home watching the bairns / have a meaningless job answering the phone whilst the women are going out and being the bread winners.

I prefer it in 1934, with rickets and polio . Life’s much simpler.

I knar a lad who has bath bombs in his bath :lol:

He’ll be breaking his kneck to drop the bairn off at school when it’s old enough .
Question mate, you have a couple one is on 20k a year, one is on 50k year, they then have a kid, and have no childcare.

Which one of them is best to give up their job to look after the kid?

I would say the 20k one so that the 50k one continues to work to support the family meaning they have more money for themselves and their child without having to claim in work benefits which they would have to do if the 50k person gave up work and the 20k one continued to work.

All makes sense.

Problem for your principles in this example the 50k person is a woman, what do you do???

Last edited:
Question mate, you have a couple one is on 20k a year, one is on 50k year, they then have a kid, and have no childcare.

Which one of them is best to give up their job to look after the kid?

I would say the 20k one so that the 50k one continues to work to support the family meaning they have more money for themselves and their child without having to claim in work benefits which they would have to do if the 50k person gave up work and the 20k one continued to work.

All makes sense.

Problem for your principles in this example the 50k person is a woman, what do you do???
That’s I tough one obvs and certain families will make the choice that’s right for them.
In my world I honestly think women need to be watching bairns mate when they are very young especially ,as it’s the natural thing to do. That should be factored in before having bairns In my opinion as not everything boils down to a spreadsheet.
Cut your cloth accordingly is my view.

I’ll use my daughter as an example, she earned quite a bit more than her lado ( self employed ) but he was never going to pack in being in the army. She’s going back to work soon, but it will be for say 3 days a week. Our lass, and an auntie on the other side of the family will be helping her out with childcare. When she’s working the weekend I’ll be helping out aswell. That’s what grandparents are for in my family. Not the same for everyone I know due to age, location and so on. Mate of mine and their lass don’t have his grandbairns and adopts the attitude “ they brought them into the world”

I know in this modern day the lines are blurred and traditional family values are out the window. What’s also a problem is it’s now acceptable to be knocking bairns out in your late 30’s , and upto your mid 40’s. The grandparents are too old to be helping out with anything at that age.

This is how it roles in my family mate , bloke steps upto the plate and the women drops her hrs to work round childcare . When the bairns old enough then the ma can go back full time if she’s upto it.
There was a bloke who’s lass is a close friend of our lass who used to sit in the house all day and “ dropped the bairns off at school “ whilst their lass was working 2 jobs. The lasses Fatha whom I’m close to hates this bloke and called him “ a fuckin lazy bastard” he would let it be know his feelings aswell.

@mini-x2 and @Sneech etc will know this lad im about in the above story tbh.

Again all this is in my world and how life ticks along for everyone around me. Myself , family , friends, work mates and so on. I know I’m in a different world to everyone else on here, that’s why I like coming on to share my experiences.

That’s I tough one obvs and certain families will make the choice that’s right for them.
In my world I honestly think women need to be watching bairns mate when they are very young especially ,as it’s the natural thing to do. That should be factored in before having bairns In my opinion as not everything boils down to a spreadsheet.
Cut your cloth accordingly is my view.

I’ll use my daughter as an example, she earned quite a bit more than her lado ( self employed ) but he was never going to pack in being in the army. She’s going back to work soon, but it will be for say 3 days a week. Our lass, and an auntie on the other side of the family will be helping her out with childcare. When she’s working the weekend I’ll be helping out aswell. That’s what grandparents are for in my family. Not the same for everyone I know due to age, location and so on. Mate of mine and their lass don’t have his grandbairns and adopts the attitude “ they brought them into the world”

I know in this modern day the lines are blurred and traditional family values are out the window. What’s also a problem is it’s now acceptable to be knocking bairns out in your late 30’s , and upto your mid 40’s. The grandparents are too old to be helping out with anything at that age.

This is how it roles in my family mate , bloke steps upto the plate and the women drops her hrs to work round childcare . When the bairns old enough then the ma can go back full time if she’s upto it.
There was a bloke who’s lass is a close friend of our lass who used to sit in the house all day and “ dropped the bairns off at school “ whilst their lass was working 2 jobs. The lasses Fatha whom I’m close to hates this bloke and called him “ a fuckin lazy bastard” he would let it be know his feelings aswell.

@mini-x2 and @Sneech etc will know this lad im about in the above story tbh.

Again all this is in my world and how life ticks along for everyone around me. Myself , family , friends, work mates and so on. I know I’m in a different world to everyone else on here, that’s why I like coming on to share my experiences.
Most of that fair enough to a certain extent,and I agree up to a point, my wife went part-time when we had kids and I stayed full time as on more money and we were lucky that a grandparent looked after them so no payout for childcare.

Just making the point, it’s never as black and white as you making out, which you surely you can see?

it would be ludicrous if no childcare available and grandparents have died for example,for say a woman to give up a 70k a job, to look after their child and a bloke to stay working on a 25k job.

As that would mean less money for all concerned and having to rely on the government and tax payers to top up the
wages,

Surely you would have to agree on the particular example above it would be better the bloke doing the looking after the child and the woman to keep working?

Last edited:
Most of that fair enough to a certain extent,and I agree up to a point, my wife went part-time when we had kids and I stayed full time as on more money and we were lucky that a grandparent looked after them so no payout for childcare.

Just making the point, it’s never as black and white as you making out, which you surely you can see?

it would be ludicrous if no childcare available and grandparents have died for example,for say a woman to give up a 70k a job, to look after their child and a bloke to stay working on a 25k job.

As that would mean less money for all concerned and having to rely on the government and tax payers to top up the
wages,

Surely you would have to agree on the particular example above it would be better the bloke doing the looking after the child and the woman to keep working?
It was like a politicians response from gilly! 😉

Blokes don’t go to the pub now they want to be picking bairns up from school and petty excuses like that, but I get his point.

Look at the entitlement people now expect with “ flexible working” and WFH.

Me Fatha said to me a while ago “ now you’ve got loads of blokes working for ya are they wanting to be away to the pub all the time “

I explained that that isn’t the case now, but you do have blokes who’ll not work nor want wanting to drop bairns off at school and pick them up . He then twisted his face and said “ what the hell do they want to do that for ?”.

It’s not blokes who work for me directly, but one man bands who fit data / bathrooms/ windows and so on. They all have one thing in common though, absolutely hate work and make it as painful as possible for themselves and everyone who’s got yo work with them to get through the day .
Tradesmen are the epitome of this. Expect to be able to rock up and knock off whenever they fancy.

Back