Iconic SAFC Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live this one, any more context? not seen it before, dates etc

This really is a quality photo like, looks almost stage, Catts poses in amazing

Absolutely love it, no world beater but will go down as a cult hero for a lot of fans.

Taken at junction of Cardwell St and rear Hartington St in Roker.
Late sixties about 1968-69 at a guess.
Todd was the best player in our team and his name covered the back of many a school haversack at the time.

I’ve asked this a couple of times and never had an answer, which fans are ours?
The ones on the right as you look at the photo. Its from the archives of the daily mirror and if you look on the full version you can see Slosher at the back (for those that know Slosher).
I've just noticed the photo I coloured in is different. I knew it was a larger view showing more fans etc but it must be later as there's a few more coppers there plus our fans giving it a lot more :cool:

Logon or register to see this image

Here is a high res version and a thread with people discussing it here

Sunderland v Newcastle - I guess you have seen this ......Unbelievable Jeff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I live this one, any more context? not seen it before, dates etc

The Toddo graffiti photo will be from the late sixties / early seventies when Colin Todd was immaculate for us before Clough got him for Derby, he was a cult hero. Those back streets on the way to Roker Park seemed part of the pre-match experience. They often had bits of graffiti in those days and Toddo was the most popular.

The thread about the Sunderland fan photo got me thinking about other iconic SAFC photos.

I’ll start, in a match against Bury at Roker Park on 26 December 1962, in icy conditions and torrential rain, Brian Clough was put through on goal and collided with the goalkeeper. Clough tore the medial and cruciate ligaments in his knee, an injury which in effect ended his playing career.

My first match at Roker Park was in 1964/65 season, late August/early September v Leeds - we were 2 - 0 down at half time, but Johnny Crossan scored 2 and Cloughy got the other, in what must have been one of his last games for the club (we drew 3 - 3). As an 11 year old at the time (we'd moved out of the area when I was 8, my dad was a miner, left to go to the Notts. coal mines) I didn't realise he was a shadow of his former self. You didn't come back from cruciate injuries in those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back