1. The forums are temporarily closed for new registrations
    We expect to re-open for new users towards the end of July.
    Dismiss Notice

Iconic SAFC Photos

Discussion in 'Pure Football' started by Dadsarmy73, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Dadsarmy73

Dadsarmy73 Full Back

The thread about the Sunderland fan photo got me thinking about other iconic SAFC photos.

I’ll start, in a match against Bury at Roker Park on 26 December 1962, in icy conditions and torrential rain, Brian Clough was put through on goal and collided with the goalkeeper. Clough tore the medial and cruciate ligaments in his knee, an injury which in effect ended his playing career.

[​IMG]

2. tpdyork

tpdyork Reserve Squad

I was in the roker end that day. I remember clough going down and staying down which was not like him, then just putting up his arm for help. When the severity of his injury was announced there was hope he may return but sadly not to be. I'm sure that but for his injury we would have been promoted that season. He had scored 29 goals that season going into that fateful game, incredible!

3. worcestermakem

worcestermakem Midfield

I love this one of Steven Fletcher
    [​IMG]

4. viccarlton

viccarlton Striker

5. Billy Fish

Billy Fish Striker

6. Mackemjmc

Mackemjmc Midfield

Aye. In the Clock Stand that day, a young nipper of 8. What could have been...………………..

7. mackembulldog

mackembulldog Winger

Just started reading his first book. I really wish Id seen him play.

doodlebugs likes this.
  8. doodlebugs

doodlebugs Winger

yea,i was in Roker as well that game,knew it was serious when Clough stayed down,he just wasn't that kind of bloke,i remember Harker standing over him mouthing off,later came out he was telling Clough to stop whinging or something along those lines,as for promotion,i think we'd have walked it

9. RokerLegend

RokerLegend Striker

For some reason i thought it was Bob Stokoe who was giving Clough shit for that.

doodlebugs likes this.
  10. Mackemjmc

Mackemjmc Midfield

Far as I know it was Bob Stokoe who told him to get up and stop play acting. For some reason Clughie never liked him after that!! Stokoe was centre half for Bury that day.

11. Johnap

Johnap Midfield Contributor

It was Bob Stokoe. Kevin Howley who was the referee that day told me that he said to Bob, " I have known this lad since he was a kid and he doesn't stay down for nothing."

redgauntlet, Parkside and RokerLegend like this.
  12. beam1234

beam1234 Midfield

Great thread

hullmackem likes this.
  13. Paddy O'Dors

Paddy O'Dors Striker

[​IMG]

No words needed.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  14. sadsack01

sadsack01 Midfield

15. Summer Bee

Summer Bee Midfield

was waiting for this to appear

16. roker beach

roker beach Winger

17. Billy Fish

Billy Fish Striker

Despite never having seen him play he's amongst my favourite Sunderland players just off the back of the hours I'd listen to my Dad telling me how good he was.

https://*copyrighted image removed*/i/pix/2015/01/02/24607B2500000578-0-image-a-18_1420228199593.jpg

Happy_Layabout likes this.
  18. Lord Potts

Lord Potts Winger

19. mackembulldog

mackembulldog Winger

Ive seen little snippets on PATHE and the odd bit here and there. As much as he seems touted as on eof the greatest footballers of his age, it often these days only tends to be Sunderland fans who will attest to this. Even them up the road would have to admit it.

Baseball boots? :eek:

Pooter and Lord Potts like this.
  20. buster

buster Winger

I can still remember hearing the sound of Taylor hitting the post from the away end.

Wood on aluminium, a quite distinctive sound , once heard never forgotten.

hank evans likes this.