Iconic SAFC Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about that, I was interrupted and had to go out. I was 16 in 1963, I always had a good memory, even so I am prone to the odd mistake. It is always possible the Hurley came out with Baseball bots on at the end, there are photographs of the celebrations, I will have to look. I met my wife on her birthday in 1963 (best present she ever had, her words). Se went to her first Sunderland game against Swindon in 64, it was a 6 -0 win and Sharkey scored a hat trick. Her father was a director of South Shields with Newcastle leanings but my wife became a Sunderland fan that day, as have our three kids, never any dissent about that. Fortunately, I still have decent recall, no need to write down phone numbers or codes it must stem from my days as a train spotter. thanks for your kind words. Now, where did I put that bloody screwdriver?

Opening of Roker Park 1898; Sunderland AFC 1 v 0 Liverpool FC

Logon or register to see this image

I hope youre feeling better BTW. I noted that you had been poorly. Take it easy.

Very difficult now to trace relatives down. They sometimes come out of the blue and occasionally ALS put some people my way for information and images on their relations/our former players. Had one the other week.

I THINK HE MEANT THE CATS?

This has been a fantastic thread, Defo should be gold. A big thanks to some of the posters on here with memories of when the club truly were still great. I envy you in many ways. My Dad remembered going to the games in the fifties and sixties with three mates from ferryhill with crowds of 50k plus.

Some fantastic photos, keep em coming, it’s worth the effort of putting them up to educate the youngsters like me who didn’t start going till the seventies.

Logon or register to see this image

Our ground before Roker: Newcastle Road in a friendly game v Nottm Forest to commemorate the opening of Sunderland’s Town Hall in 1890.

Note: the old style pitch markings

Does anyone know how much I should be paying for a framed, signed copy of the Gary Rowell penalty against the mags?
I've got the chance of one but haven't a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back