Iconic SAFC Photos

I don't get it , I just see two blokes walking near RP

It captures that era for me.
I was a young teenager and Todd was my hero, our best player by a mile, the only one at that time who could hold his own against all the top players of the top teams like Best, Charlton and Law at Man U.
His name was chalked on many walls and on many school haversacks including mine.

When Monty first came into the team as a teenager, some of the thugs in the other teams tried to have a go and intimidate him.
Unfortunately, they always found the King in their way.
Many of them ended up like this...…………..

This looks a bit later than that but my point stands

This was Easter 1968, we won 2-0 against Arsenal. The sub on the floor is Bobby Gould. There is another photo of this incident where Monty has thrown the ball down on his head. I think Gould went in late and paid the price.

Anmelden – Google Konten

Last edited:
Aye his boots were "baseball boots" a canvas plimsoll boot. No studs or a hard toe-cap like a footy boots were in those days. Apparently Charlie had blistered his feet in his footy boots on the hard earth surface so went in to the final game of the 1964 season wearing canvas baseball boots. Kicking a 1960's vintage laced casey took some doing without a reinforced toe-cap. Charlie was well hard'

You can still buy baseball boots
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canvas-Baseball-Boots-Black-White/dp/B07CRS8TLF
It's a romantic thought, but league matches did not use laced caseys as late as 1964. Still leather, I grant you, but the lace-up balls (still used by my school team at the time - complete with separate bladder) had been pensioned off in league games by then.

Back