Ice Hockey/Durham Wasps/Billingham

He’s actually the first English player drafted. Tony Hand and (I think) Colin Shields from Scotland both made the draft but didn’t play. Liam has the potential though - had a really bad injury last year.

Whitley’s David Longstaff did well for himself in Sweden. Unfortunately his lads preferred football and are turning out for the filth.

Tony Hand, blast from the past, Murrayfield Races

If anyone fancies a bit of hockey later in the year, Nottingham is hosting World Championship Division IA, with Great Britain trying to win promotion back to the top division. It's April 29 to May 5, IIRC. Six team tournament, top two get promoted, GB up against Italy, Korea, Poland, Romania and Lithuania. We should be competitive in that group, and the GB Supporters Club are a good bunch of hockey nutters.

Never picked up on it before, but there’s also a 4 team competition next weekend which GB are hosting against Japan, Poland and Romania. Our games are at Milton Keynes, Coventry and Nottingham (from memory).

Will you be going to either of the tournaments @pride of the north ?

Racers, but close enough :lol: . Good enough to play in the NHL, but didn't he get really home sick when he went over there?

Can you remember his crazy brother Paul?

As I previously mentioned, this was the golden age of UK ice hockey. 3 imports only, that meant they were usually quality, and then the rest made up of home based quality players including lots of youngsters. The introduction of the Super League killed it for me. A mass of third rate imports and little room for home grown players. The sport was never big enough in the country to have a "Super League" in my opinion but when football turned into the Premier League and Rugby Union and the like became more professional, I guess it was too hard not to try and follow suit.

A few of my mates played for Fife, and then clubs such as Dumfries, Paisley and then Edinburgh Capitals.

Yeah, still the first British born and trained as I said though. It’s a strange distinction I suppose, but I think the insinuation was that in both Hand and Shields those lads had some schooling in North America during their development whereas Kirk was a Sheffield youth player and then a Steeler when he was drafted.

Either way, it’s exciting following his progress and he’s doing very well in Finland. I would love to see him play a few games in the show!

Longstaff was GB’s all time cap leader when he retired and is now coaching Whitley Warriors (@GordonMuchallNo1Fan keep an eye out), but I think he’s been overtaken now by (I want to say) Johnathan Phillips? Or was it Matt Myers 🤔

You might be right about Colin Shields but Tony Hand was totally trained over here. I've got his autobiography and there's a sweet bit that shows his naivety when he went to Oilers' training camp. He didn't realise that the group was getting smaller every day as they made the cut and he was still there. He also only took one stick, whereas everyone else had half a dozen. He then snapped his and the staff had to run off and find him another one.

I've just remembered I trained with him once. He's good mates with Paul Thompson who coached Coventry Blaze at the time and they both jumped on to one of our training sessions. I set him up for a goal. :cool:
If anyone fancies a bit of hockey later in the year, Nottingham is hosting World Championship Division IA, with Great Britain trying to win promotion back to the top division. It's April 29 to May 5, IIRC. Six team tournament, top two get promoted, GB up against Italy, Korea, Poland, Romania and Lithuania. We should be competitive in that group, and the GB Supporters Club are a good bunch of hockey nutters.

I've just booked my tickets for the Friday - we play Italy and there's a decent chance that the winner of that will be promoted.

They're excellent value - you can get a day pass (three games, including one GB) for £27, or a tournament pass, all 15 games, for £108. Need to work out whether to wear my GB shirt or my Durham Wasps one. 🤔

Last edited:
Racers, but close enough :lol: . Good enough to play in the NHL, but didn't he get really home sick when he went over there?

Can you remember his crazy brother Paul?

As I previously mentioned, this was the golden age of UK ice hockey. 3 imports only, that meant they were usually quality, and then the rest made up of home based quality players including lots of youngsters. The introduction of the Super League killed it for me. A mass of third rate imports and little room for home grown players. The sport was never big enough in the country to have a "Super League" in my opinion but when football turned into the Premier League and Rugby Union and the like became more professional, I guess it was too hard not to try and follow suit.

A few of my mates played for Fife, and then clubs such as Dumfries, Paisley and then Edinburgh Capitals.

I really should have got the name right, I park right outside the entrance when I go to the rugby at Murrayfield :oops:

Premier League/John Hall obsession ruined it all and it just spiralled out of control with all the Super League crap as you say they tried to follow suit.

Paul Hand was an experienced pro just like his brother. Tony was a very good player.

You might be right about Colin Shields but Tony Hand was totally trained over here. I've got his autobiography and there's a sweet bit that shows his naivety when he went to Oilers' training camp. He didn't realise that the group was getting smaller every day as they made the cut and he was still there. He also only took one stick, whereas everyone else had half a dozen. He then snapped his and the staff had to run off and find him another one.

I've just remembered I trained with him once. He's good mates with Paul Thompson who coached Coventry Blaze at the time and they both jumped on to one of our training sessions. I set him up for a goal. :cool:

I've just booked my tickets for the Friday - we play Italy and there's a decent chance that the winner of that will be promoted.

They're excellent value - you can get a day pass (three games, including one GB) for £27, or a tournament pass, all 15 games, for £108. Need to work out whether to wear my GB shirt or my Durham Wasps one. 🤔

Definitely the Wasps shirt - there’ll be enough GB tops in there already ;).

As for Hand/Kirk, I must’ve totally misread the ‘tagline’ when they were going on about it. Regardless, I’ve seen all three play live and it was a pleasure. Really hope Kirk can get over the hill and become an NHL regular.

Never picked up on it before, but there’s also a 4 team competition next weekend which GB are hosting against Japan, Poland and Romania. Our games are at Milton Keynes, Coventry and Nottingham (from memory).

Will you be going to either of the tournaments @pride of the north ?

I'll be at the World Championship in April, don't expect to be at the warm-up games this month. If all goes to plan I'll have a few days at the men's U18s in Switzerland in mid-April, then Nottingham, then off to Riga for the top division of the Worlds in May. I work for the IIHF website, so at that time of year I spend most of my life in hotels and ice rinks!

Was up in Dumfries last week at the women's U18 Division IIA - not exactly a world-beating level, but good fun. They've got a nice set-up there, council backed, some good people involved. And it's not every day you see Australia play Mexico at hockey!

I'll be at the World Championship in April, don't expect to be at the warm-up games this month. If all goes to plan I'll have a few days at the men's U18s in Switzerland in mid-April, then Nottingham, then off to Riga for the top division of the Worlds in May. I work for the IIHF website, so at that time of year I spend most of my life in hotels and ice rinks!

Was up in Dumfries last week at the women's U18 Division IIA - not exactly a world-beating level, but good fun. They've got a nice set-up there, council backed, some good people involved. And it's not every day you see Australia play Mexico at hockey!

I look at what they have in Dumfries with the support of the local council and I’m so jealous - because we have everything in Durham that could provide a fantastic base for an IIHF tournament. Except, obviously, the rink :(.

I used to love going to watch the Wasps. Great entertainment.

Mike Blaisdell, Rick Brebant, Mike O'Connor, Paul Dixon, the Cooper brothers Steven and Ian (although they switched to Cardiff), Michael Tasker, Paul Smith (did he have a brother who played for the Wasps too?), Mark Pallister (Gary's cousin) was a bit of a thug, Ivor Bennett, Jonathan Weaver.

You've got me wracking my nogging for more players names now!
Saw Pallister go for a Solihull player on the boards, squashed him in slow motion. :lol:

Best British player ever. Tony Hand was a wizard. Went to Canada and had a trial for my beloved Edmonton.

Couldn't finish a dinner, but never seen anyone pick a pass from deep like him. Transition game was something else, stretch passes. Glenn Hoddle of hockey.
Yup, used to love a Saturday lads game then onto Durham rink for a Wasps game.
Roker, back home. change, down the Riverside...

Good ol;d "purple patch" for Durham.

We were never out the game with Mighty Mike passing and Rick Brebant on the fly...

Last edited:
Best British player ever. Tony Hand was a wizard. Went to Canada and had a trial for my beloved Edmonton.

Couldn't finish a dinner, but never seen anyone pick a pass from deep like him. Transition game was something else, stretch passes. Glenn Hoddle of hockey.

Roker, back home. change, down the Riverside...

Good ol;d "purple patch" for Durham.

We were never out the game with Mighty Mike passing and Rick Brebant on the fly...

🥲

Back