Ice Hockey/Durham Wasps/Billingham

Been to a couple of games at Billingham. It's OK, but it's not the Wasps for lots of reasons. First, you don't get the crowds and most of the seating is a level up above the ice so it doesn't feel as intense. Plus, I'm not 12 anymore, being allowed out on my own isn't the life-changing experience it once was, and I've watched hockey at two Winter Olympics and at least 10 World Championships, so it's not quite the same novelty. Getting old sucks.

The other big difference from the Heineken League is the way the game is played. You'll remember going to the Wasps, seeing nothing that resembled defending, expecting 10+ goals in a game. Which was fun, but not exactly tactically sophisticated. If you ever saw the Wasps playing European opposition, you'll notice how they got badly beaten by teams that had a structure that went anywhere beyond 'give it to the import and let him score 10 points a night'. Now, even at Billingham's level (essentially semi-pro), teams are a lot better drilled so scoring is harder and players are less inclined to take cheap penalties. That doesn't make it a better or worse experience, just a slightly different one and you probably won't see a team rack up 15-20 goals, or a game finish 11-8.

If memory serves, you can watch games from ice level at the Forum but you'll have to stand behind the goal next to the canteen. If you want a rink that feels (and smells!) a bit more like Durham, Whitley is a better bet (ie, it's falling down, badly lit and uncomfortable!).

For all that, though, it's still a decent night out. I actually prefer it to the Elite League, which seems to me to be overpriced and dominated by mediocre imports. The NIHL is a bit more grassroots, and the people behind the clubs are hugely committed. A previous poster mentioned Leeds, and I've heard good things but not yet had a chance to visit.

If anyone fancies a bit of hockey later in the year, Nottingham is hosting World Championship Division IA, with Great Britain trying to win promotion back to the top division. It's April 29 to May 5, IIRC. Six team tournament, top two get promoted, GB up against Italy, Korea, Poland, Romania and Lithuania. We should be competitive in that group, and the GB Supporters Club are a good bunch of hockey nutters.

Great post, thanks for this. I genuinely have no idea what to expect, I was only a young kid when going to Durham and when it folded, but still have some great memories. Standing behind the goal, cracking times and the visits to Whitley Bay were always good.

As you say it was just full on at Durham, I have noticed scores appear to indicate more of a structured defensive game which will be interesting to compare.

Can't ever forgive John Hall, but hey ho. Ironically my wife got into Ice Hockey when it moved up to Newcastle, so that is always an awkward conversation :lol:

Whitley play Billingham in a few weeks, so if I enjoy Sunday night I will be tempted to have a drive up.

The event you mention at Nottingham looks cracking value

Cheers

Some wonderful memories watching Durham Wasps though.

I used to love going to watch the Wasps. Great entertainment.

Mike Blaisdell, Rick Brebant, Mike O'Connor, Paul Dixon, the Cooper brothers Steven and Ian (although they switched to Cardiff), Michael Tasker, Paul Smith (did he have a brother who played for the Wasps too?), Mark Pallister (Gary's cousin) was a bit of a thug, Ivor Bennett, Jonathan Weaver.

You've got me wracking my nogging for more players names now!
That was the golden age of British Ice Hockey. I used to follow Fife Flyers and visited the old river side rink in Durham many times. Mostly losing but can remember two games where we won by 2 goals, both clinching goals being scored in empty nets with seconds to go. Great memories.

Great post, thanks for this. I genuinely have no idea what to expect, I was only a young kid when going to Durham and when it folded, but still have some great memories. Standing behind the goal, cracking times and the visits to Whitley Bay were always good.

As you say it was just full on at Durham, I have noticed scores appear to indicate more of a structured defensive game which will be interesting to compare.

Can't ever forgive John Hall, but hey ho. Ironically my wife got into Ice Hockey when it moved up to Newcastle, so that is always an awkward conversation :lol:

Whitley play Billingham in a few weeks, so if I enjoy Sunday night I will be tempted to have a drive up.

The event you mention at Nottingham looks cracking value

Cheers

Some wonderful memories watching Durham Wasps though.
Ive been fancying for a while going to Billingham with kids like, let me know what you think as well - never watched a 'live' ice hockey game

Mike Blaisdell, Rick Brebant, Mike O'Connor, Paul Dixon, the Cooper brothers Steven and Ian (although they switched to Cardiff), Michael Tasker, Paul Smith (did he have a brother who played for the Wasps too?), Mark Pallister (Gary's cousin) was a bit of a thug, Ivor Bennett, Jonathan Weaver.

Was it Damien Smith?

Was it Damien Smith?
Yep, Damien. It was the Smiths who owned the rink and team, and their dad, Tom, used to play in the 60s. (Same family still owns the Whitley rink.)

I still play rec hockey in Coventry but haven't been to watch a game in ages. I might try to get to one of those GB games in Nottingham.

What did John hall do like?

Bought them and then moved them out of Durham - firstly to Sunderland and then to Newcastle. The plan was to build a new arena in Newcastle. He managed to simultaneously piss off fans of Durham Wasps, Crowtree Chiefs and Whitley Warriors (who I think, at that time, had relocated to the Metro Radio Arena). Then, when it all went tits up, he walked away from the mess.

It all got a bit nasty. Wasps fans were split, to be fair, with a few backing the move but I think most were against it. There's the Sunderland/Newcastle football connection but the main thing was moving them out of Durham. My mam, who's got no interest in football, still hates John Hall over this.

Bought them and then moved them out of Durham - firstly to Sunderland and then to Newcastle. The plan was to build a new arena in Newcastle. He managed to simultaneously piss off fans of Durham Wasps, Crowtree Chiefs and Whitley Warriors (who I think, at that time, had relocated to the Metro Radio Arena). Then, when it all went tits up, he walked away from the mess.

It all got a bit nasty. Wasps fans were split, to be fair, with a few backing the move but I think most were against it. There's the Sunderland/Newcastle football connection but the main thing was moving them out of Durham. My mam, who's got no interest in football, still hates John Hall over this.

This and I still hate John Hall 26-27 years on and it is purely based on the Ice Hockey.

Majority were against it, I've been to one game since and that as a testimonial for the Johnson brothers which was at the Arena but included a Durham all star team hence I went, but I couldn't go and support the Newcastle team, it just didn't feel right and I know many felt the same. My aunty and uncle followed Durham Wasps for years and never went back. Such a shame what happened.

A mate of mine played for the Chiefs. Learnt his trade in Canada and walked straight into the first team.

He was stark raving mad! Never seen him for a few years. He married into a show/traveller family.

This and I still hate John Hall 26-27 years on and it is purely based on the Ice Hockey.

Majority were against it, I've been to one game since and that as a testimonial for the Johnson brothers which was at the Arena but included a Durham all star team hence I went, but I couldn't go and support the Newcastle team, it just didn't feel right and I know many felt the same. My aunty and uncle followed Durham Wasps for years and never went back. Such a shame what happened.

I softened towards Newcastle by the time they had morphed into the Vipers, partly because by then it was a whole new set of fans who had been shat on by John Hall as well, but also because they were then owned by former Wasp Paddy O'Connor who I had played alongside in the Mosquitoes.

Chris Salem was net minder. John Hutley was a bit of a cult hereo along with Ivor Bennett.
Frank Killen also.
Anthony Payne

Last edited:
Watched a bit of the wasps at the back end as my lads started playing just before that twat hall messed it all up .
They still played after that up to U 19 and i wish i had the time and money back i spent on junior hockey ( but i wouldnt have not done it )
Live down in humberside now and ive seen the odd hull game . The hockey is always a decent night out , odd pint and burger , few fights , my little granddaughter loves it

John weaver is still playing

Last edited:

Damien and Adrian Smith.
The Johnson brothers, Steven, Shaun can't remember the third.
Brad Beck.
That Russian bloke.(absolutely outstanding)
Chris Salem.(netminder)

Back