Ice Hockey/Durham Wasps/Billingham

My Dad sponsored Billingham Bombers (think they were called Cleveland Bombers before that?) for a few seasons back in the day (87/88 ish). Quite good for 10 year old me as it meant I got to go on the ice a couple of times and meet the players. Got some of their club kit/coats too. Tim Cranston and John Hutchings stand out in my mind, I think both might have gone to the wasps afterwards.

I was from Durham though, and obviously all my pals supported their (our) local team, which meant I got some grief when they played each other (Castle Eden cup?) at Durham and I had all the red and white (Billingham) gear on.

I was through Whitley on Sunday for the game against Widnes. Used to go as a youngun. Back then you could pay a quid extra and have a skate about afterwards. It’s a evening out. Cheap scran and drinks and not a bellend in sight, a big change from going to the football

Any former Durham Wasps fans on here? Also anyone taken a game in down at Billingham?

Yes, I’ll never get over us no longer having a rink in Durham.

Went to Whitley Bay to watch the Tyne-Tees derby a few weeks ago, it was the second leg of a semi final. Whitley won the first leg 3-2 on the Saturday, Billingham won the second leg 4-3 on the Sunday in regulation and then won the overtime period to make it to the final. It was a fantastic game of hockey in front of an excellent crowd.

Keeping my eyes peeled for details of the final being announced.
If anyone fancies a bit of hockey later in the year, Nottingham is hosting World Championship Division IA, with Great Britain trying to win promotion back to the top division. It's April 29 to May 5, IIRC. Six team tournament, top two get promoted, GB up against Italy, Korea, Poland, Romania and Lithuania. We should be competitive in that group, and the GB Supporters Club are a good bunch of hockey nutters.

Hopefully be down for the first two games - think I’m working on the other dates.

Ben O’Connor is a stalwart for GB on the blue line, he’s the son of Mike and was born in Dryburn hospital so is (unfortunately) probably the last link to the Wasps that we’ll get with the GB side.

Keenly following Liam Kirk’s career, he’s a young lad from Sheffield who became the first British born and trained player to he picked in the NHL draft. He’s an immensely talented player, currently loaned to a team in Finland as he continues his development.
stuck at the lights on that big bank leading up to Claypath :lol:, my uncle used to hate that

I bet there’ve been a few clutches burnt out on that bank opposite the Rajpooth :lol:

Last edited:
Yes, I’ll never get over us no longer having a rink in Durham.

Went to Whitley Bay to watch the Tyne-Tees derby a few weeks ago, it was the second leg of a semi final. Whitley won the first leg 3-2 on the Saturday, Billingham won the second leg 4-3 on the Sunday in regulation and then won the overtime period to make it to the final. It was a fantastic game of hockey in front of an excellent crowd.

Keeping my eyes peeled for details of the final being announced.

Hopefully be down for the first two games - think I’m working on the other dates.

Ben O’Connor is a stalwart for GB on the blue line, he’s the son of Mike and was born in Dryburn hospital so is (unfortunately) probably the last link to the Wasps that we’ll get with the GB side.

Keenly following Liam Kirk’s career, he’s a young lad from Sheffield who became the first British born and trained player to he picked in the NHL draft. He’s an immensely talented player, currently loaned to a team in Finland as he continues his development.

I bet there’ve been a few clutches burnt out on that bank opposite the Rajpooth :lol:

It was absolutely devastating to lose the rink and team from Durham. I still get annoyed now whenever I walk by.

Billingham play away to Whitley in 3 weeks time. I think I owe myself a visit to our old rivals :lol: .

Just noticed Billingham are playing a team from Sheffield on Sunday who are currently bottom, so hopefully an open game with plenty of goals.

As for clutches, most definitely, I can still picture my uncle now absolutely hating it

Just hope we enjoy it on Sunday.

Only game I've been to since Wasps folded was their testimonial up at Newcastle. They were a good set of lads.

My Dad sponsored Billingham Bombers (think they were called Cleveland Bombers before that?) for a few seasons back in the day (87/88 ish). Quite good for 10 year old me as it meant I got to go on the ice a couple of times and meet the players. Got some of their club kit/coats too. Tim Cranston and John Hutchings stand out in my mind, I think both might have gone to the wasps afterwards.

John Hutchings died aged 45. He played for the Wasps then the Bombers. He used to live near my parents in Sherburn Village. A lovely bloke.

It was absolutely devastating to lose the rink and team from Durham. I still get annoyed now whenever I walk by.

Billingham play away to Whitley in 3 weeks time. I think I owe myself a visit to our old rivals :lol: .

Just noticed Billingham are playing a team from Sheffield on Sunday who are currently bottom, so hopefully an open game with plenty of goals.

As for clutches, most definitely, I can still picture my uncle now absolutely hating it

Just hope we enjoy it on Sunday.

I’d definitely recommend it. The derby games aren’t like Durham v Whitley once were, but they’re still good fun to attend. The nostalgia will be flowing too, cause I don’t think Hillheads has seen a lick of paint since the last time they got a result against the Wasps in any case :lol:

Joking aside though, it’s a great place with a cheap enough bar and cafe and a friendly family atmosphere.

I think the game at Whitley is the last derby of the season, but I’m at work so I’ll not be there.

Only game I've been to since Wasps folded was their testimonial up at Newcastle. They were a good set of lads.

Aye, the dad (Peter, I want to say?) was an absolutely fantastic coach and produced several talented young’ens from the former pit villages too.

There was a sort of testimonial game at Whitley around a similar time to the Shuggy testimonial, where Durham legends played Whitley legends and the place was packed.
Several pages and no mention of Hylton Ruggles :lol::lol:. He was always a tough rival. Good memories

Played for Newcastle for a time too, before a stint in Manchester. Was a lovely fella off the ice.

Last edited:
My mates were bigger fans of the Wasps than me but went a few times 1983-85 ish and particularly used to enjoy Roly Barrass getting stuck into the opposition and Rod McNair didn't stand on ceremony either.:lol:. Jamie Crapper always used to score loads especially against the likes of Ayr.

Former Wasps legend Hep Tindale used to be Mrs RT's milkman when she a young un!

Bought them and then moved them out of Durham - firstly to Sunderland and then to Newcastle. The plan was to build a new arena in Newcastle. He managed to simultaneously piss off fans of Durham Wasps, Crowtree Chiefs and Whitley Warriors (who I think, at that time, had relocated to the Metro Radio Arena). Then, when it all went tits up, he walked away from the mess.

It all got a bit nasty. Wasps fans were split, to be fair, with a few backing the move but I think most were against it. There's the Sunderland/Newcastle football connection but the main thing was moving them out of Durham. My mam, who's got no interest in football, still hates John Hall over this.
Just to add something from a whitley point of view.A year after the warriors moved from hillheads to the arena for that first newcastle season, they had their contact terminated so JH could replace the squad with the wasps. This left Whitley to be classed as a new team that had to start in a division 4 equivalent as the newcastle team was still in existence, despite 40 or 50 years in the top league.

A couple of them used to play in our 5 a-side league at the Louisa Centre at Stanley. Ivor something or another and I think a Canadian. This is going back nearly 35years ago so it's a little hazy.

My mates were bigger fans of the Wasps than me but went a few times 1983-85 ish and particularly used to enjoy Roly Barrass getting stuck into the opposition and Rod McNair didn't stand on ceremony either.:lol:. Jamie Crapper always used to score loads especially against the likes of Ayr.

Former Wasps legend Hep Tindale used to be Mrs RT's milkman when she a young un!
Cracking feller Roly . He was my young uns coach for a while . One time the bairn went back into the dressing room cos hed lost a fiver . Roly just said "oh aye i found it" and gave him one out of his wallet , he hadnt cos the bairns mate had found it and told him . Thats a coach . Bairn returned Rolys fiver of course

He’s actually the first English player drafted. Tony Hand and (I think) Colin Shields from Scotland both made the draft but didn’t play. Liam has the potential though - had a really bad injury last year.

Whitley’s David Longstaff did well for himself in Sweden. Unfortunately his lads preferred football and are turning out for the filth.

He’s actually the first English player drafted. Tony Hand and (I think) Colin Shields from Scotland both made the draft but didn’t play. Liam has the potential though - had a really bad injury last year.

Whitley’s David Longstaff did well for himself in Sweden. Unfortunately his lads preferred football and are turning out for the filth.

Yeah, still the first British born and trained as I said though. It’s a strange distinction I suppose, but I think the insinuation was that in both Hand and Shields those lads had some schooling in North America during their development whereas Kirk was a Sheffield youth player and then a Steeler when he was drafted.

Either way, it’s exciting following his progress and he’s doing very well in Finland. I would love to see him play a few games in the show!

Longstaff was GB’s all time cap leader when he retired and is now coaching Whitley Warriors (@GordonMuchallNo1Fan keep an eye out), but I think he’s been overtaken now by (I want to say) Johnathan Phillips? Or was it Matt Myers 🤔

Back