Hylton Castle (the castle not the area)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@The Lonious Monk

Hylton Castle is the ancestral home of the Washington family (the original Washington village being ‘reasonably’ nearby too). That’s the 1st president of the USA Washington family by the way. The family crest, which I believe is carved into one of the walls of the oldest part of the castle consists of stars* and (red and white) stripes.

* the stars were apparently originally representations of spurs.

Just saying.

Somebody will be along shortly to correct me on all my misrepresentations and factual inaccuracies
Well, for my part, I thank you for the information. I appreciate this sort of historic information. So thank you.

BUT, the US are still kicking England's ass tomorrow.;)

Well, for my part, I thank you for the information. I appreciate this sort of historic information. So thank you.

BUT, the US are still kicking England's ass tomorrow.;)

The size of the fuck I couldn’t give is too immense for measurement without the aid of off planet technology and complicated trigonometry.

BUT, we want our flag back.

We went on a school trip when I was a bairn to Hylton castle, it must be over 50 years ago now. I remember the bloke who was in charge of it pointing out the "stars and stripes" Washington crest and he also told us it wasn't a castle just a fortified home. If it was meant to be a castle it would be on the top of Bunny Hill where it could be defended but as it was at the bottom of Bunny Hill where attackers could lob stones and arrows and bunnies down on it then it was just a home. The little building next to the castle was a chapel for the family to worship god but the most interesting thing for me was the hole in the wall where worshippers with leprosy had to look through and prey because they weren't allowed inside the chapel. Some class mates were scared to look through the hole in case they caught leprosy.

Was lived in as recently as about 100 years ago apparently. Thowt it must have went to rack and ruin in the 1500's or summat the state it was in.
When I was a kid in the early 1960's an elderly lady who lived over the road used to work in Hylton Castle when she was a girl. Given her age at the time it must have been between 1890 and 1900.

The little building next to the castle was a chapel for the family to worship god but the most interesting thing for me was the hole in the wall where worshippers with leprosy had to look through and prey because they weren't allowed inside the chapel. Some class mates were scared to look through the hole in case they caught leprosy.
That's the usual story but more likely the hole was there (as it is in lots of churches) so the fella who rang the chapel bell during Communion ceremony could see what stage the priest had reached so he could ring at the correct time

Last edited:
The hylton Castle Arms.....vast array of continental beers and wines from arouj dthe world...... The sheer beauty of the internal decor is a sight to behold.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back