Hylton Castle (the castle not the area)

When finished will it be free to visit or will it be just opening for the odd wedding or doo?
Going to be a coffee shop if the plans are the same as they were at the start.
It's surprisingly small inside, albeit I was in when scaffolding was up. Think there's going to be a coffee shop, couple meeting/training rooms etc.
Would be a shame if the public couldn't get up to the top to admire the views. I got a tour and the views are tremendous out past the Northern Spire etc.

Ive peeked through the crack in the boards many times when it was a ruin. Looking forward to seeing this completed next time Im back home.

Was lived in as recently as about 100 years ago apparently. Thowt it must have went to rack and ruin in the 1500's or summat the state it was in.

Kipped in it twice when I was in the scouts. Used the two rooms upstairs at the back to kip in. This was early 90s not even sure if before the refurb they still had floors in. Last time I was in about 5 year ago they had the stairs blocked off and you could only go in the front bit.

Going to be a coffee shop if the plans are the same as they were at the start.
It's surprisingly small inside, albeit I was in when scaffolding was up. Think there's going to be a coffee shop, couple meeting/training rooms etc.
Would be a shame if the public couldn't get up to the top to admire the views. I got a tour and the views are tremendous out past the Northern Spire etc.
Yeah I think they got the funding on the community and educational aspect of their plans for it. Spaces for the community and schools to use and learn about the history of the area and that.

Last edited:
Was lived in as recently as about 100 years ago apparently. Thowt it must have went to rack and ruin in the 1500's or summat the state it was in.
My auntie (dad's auntie, actually) had a photograph from around 1901/02 (I think) which had people behind the windows when it was occupied. No idea what happened to the photo when she died. It'll be in the Family somewhere.

Back