Hylton Castle (the castle not the area)

It was intended as a gatehouse to what was to be the bigger "Castle". Used to go into the crypt as a young-un before it was filled in in 1983, also used to have a conservatory on the rear.

A teacher in my infant school showed me a photo she took in the grounds and when developed you could make out a ghostly disembodied face of a young lad quite clearly amongst the scenery

Always bricked it when I'm anywhere near since then

A teacher in my infant school showed me a photo she took in the grounds and when developed you could make out a ghostly disembodied face of a young lad quite clearly amongst the scenery

Always bricked it when I'm anywhere near since then

There must have been the same face behind the bar at The Promenade last time we were in because I’m still waiting for you to get your round in tightwad

I remember going there with my Dad when I was a bairn (many many years ago), and he pointed out what he insisted was the blackened blood stain on the wall where the cauld lad had his brains bashed out.
My Dad never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I remember going there with my Dad when I was a bairn (many many years ago), and he pointed out what he insisted was the blackened blood stain on the wall where the cauld lad had his brains bashed out.
My Dad never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

:lol:

I was terrified of Backhouse park, because of me dad and his stories, there was some spilt red paint on the grass, and me Dad told me it was blood from a murder. :eek: I am a bit of a wimp like

:lol:

I was terrified of Backhouse park, because of me dad and his stories, there was some spilt red paint on the grass, and me Dad told me it was blood from a murder. :eek: I am a bit of a wimp like
Lad I know found a dead baby there. Well, his dog actually found it.

@The Lonious Monk

Hylton Castle is the ancestral home of the Washington family (the original Washington village being ‘reasonably’ nearby too). That’s the 1st president of the USA Washington family by the way. The family crest, which I believe is carved into one of the walls of the oldest part of the castle consists of stars* and (red and white) stripes.

* the stars were apparently originally representations of spurs.

Just saying.

Somebody will be along shortly to correct me on all my misrepresentations and factual inaccuracies

Last edited by a moderator:

Back