How Sunderland is viewed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said bar was in a small town near Manchester. Admittedly it benefits from being in Cheshire and people having a bit of money.

Pub was absolutely rammed on a Saturday night. Someone shuffled up to the bar and asks “Have you not got any ‘normal’ lagers.”

Told him that we don’t have any major brands (of any style of beer, not just lager) but we did have a couple of pilsners in. When he started twisting I just couldn’t be arsed and said “Spoons is over the road.”

Nothing I could do, complaining to me isn’t going to make me rustle up a keg of Stella from somewhere. It was 3-4 deep all along the bar so if he wasn’t happy he was welcome to go elsewhere.

If it was a bit quieter I could have talked him through what we had and offered him some tasters but I could see he was getting a bit difficult/had already had a drink.

Quite why you’d go into an unfamiliar bar and complain they don’t have a drink you’re familiar with I don’t know.
I get that completely. That sounds like Altringham to me. Plenty of punters around to pick up the slack I expect.

Macc. So probably the least salubrious of Cheshire’s towns. But a lovely, scenic little place.
One I've not been to, but it's still a fair sized catchment area, so you at least have ordinary pubs for them to go to. I'll be up in Manchester for Christmas, and my lad will probably drag us out to Altringham for a jam jar of some new local brew before the weekend's out :lol:

Thank goodness for that.

I’m out for my team Christmas do in Newcastle tonight. Might fire up some Sunderland songs as the night wears on.

Ended up wearing an SAFC scarf all night last time as someone got me one in the secret Santa. Was genuinely made up by it.
What could go wrong? :lol:

One I've not been to, but it's still a fair sized catchment area, so you at least have ordinary pubs for them to go to. I'll be up in Manchester for Christmas, and my lad will probably drag us out to Altringham for a jam jar of some new local brew before the weekend's out :lol:

Yep, mainly ‘normal’ pubs. 3 that are exclusively craft beer (Treacle Tap - on Sunderland Street!, Red Willow and FiveClouds) then a few that make a good fist of doing both. The Macc being my favourite, but they really struggle for custom when Macc town aren’t playing.

I've never been turned away from a bar or pub in Hackney or anywhere else for not being cool enough.
Me neither, but other people do, and I've seen it. I'm not making these points about myself.

Yep, mainly ‘normal’ pubs. 3 that are exclusively craft beer (Treacle Tap - on Sunderland Street!, Red Willow and FiveClouds) then a few that make a good fist of doing both. The Macc being my favourite, but they really struggle for custom when Macc town aren’t playing.
We'll have to pay you a visit one day.

Last edited:
But if you were a young un looking for a Newcastle-style night out, then you’re also catered for. Put it this way. If you were on a hen night and accidentally got off at Sunderland instead of Newcastle, you wouldn't he disappointed.

Where would one need to go to observe said bad boys brigade? I go all over town and have never met them.

Anywhere down holmeside on a Saturday night

Quite fond of Macc, I often visit when we're in Poynton.

I was in Time bar once and there were three separate fights in 30 minutes.

Only 3? Must have been a quiet night. To be fair you can have a decent sup in Consett, if you avoid the wrong places at the wrong times you can have a canny night without running the risk of taking a shoeing.

Is Gordon’s still on Sunderland St?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back