How Sunderland is viewed

That's a sad tale but to be fair, a group of Sunderland lads would probably attract bother in Birtley . We'd f***ing nack them of course .

I’ve been out with a group of Washington lads in Birtley before, a mix of Sunderland and Newcastle supporters and us of a red and white persuasion made it known who we support in the Railway (where Soccer Saturday was on and both SAFC and Nufc were playing at the time). Had no bother, just a bit of friendly banter from some locals who were pissed and started singing a few Newcastle songs when they knew there was red and white in there but they came over and had a bit crack after the novelty wore off.

People from towns around the north east base their drinking experience on a night out in Newcastle and not supporting their own economies. Hence why a lot of boozers struggle in places like consett, cramlington, shields etc because people are going to Newcastle to be weekend millionaires. In people's head Sunderland is the diametric opposite.
Regional bias against Sunderland. It exists subtly and overtly

Local media is biased, political decisions are biased, developmental decisions are biased against Sunderland.

From a young age the term "Mackem" is interchangeable with being a three headed, fire breathing monster that eats kittens. And Sunderland is like Mordor from lord of the rings.

Just wrong perceptions

Totally agree this is utter claptrap. Plenty of people I know from around the region drink in Sunderland with no hassle at all. The idea people have accents so different that they get hassle is BS. The uncomfortable truth is the accents are very alike and are indistinguishable to someone from outside the region.

Best post i've seen on here for quite sometime. Have a like.

Had friends up from Essex, Lincoln,Bedfordshire, Wocestershire amongst other places in April. Absolutely loved it esp Mowbray park and sea front. Thought the railway station was a joke
One couple were concerned to go in the Cougar Rose for something to eat. Had breakfast there the next day to ease their fears. Some coming back for Kubix festival in July

Bit of a shithole is what most southerners think. And that's only the ones who've actually been.

To get filled in, in the first pub you visit takes some doing

I’ve never witnessed anyone get filled in, without them 100% working their tickets and getting a deserved slap
I'm a right dickhead sometimes when I'm out, really loud, and when I lived up north went out loads, and I never got twatted ever. Rarely saw bother too.
Mind, I'm a bit of a big **** and look hard as nails ...

And you do you think people around the country actually know where Durham is? The people who ask "is that next to Newcastle?" more than likely couldn't point out Newcastle on a map either. This "it's near Newcastle" line doesn't help people understand where Sunderland is IMO, if you want to do that "it's in the North East" will do.
Nee idea, but it would make me feel extremely smug. Alternatively ask them to Google it.

Had friends up from Essex, Lincoln,Bedfordshire, Wocestershire amongst other places in April. Absolutely loved it esp Mowbray park and sea front. Thought the railway station was a joke
One couple were concerned to go in the Cougar Rose for something to eat. Had breakfast there the next day to ease their fears. Some coming back for Kubix festival in July
Cougar Rose? Like it. :)

Last edited:
Does anyone think that the Workington Town message board gets so invested in understanding what people in Derby or Maidenhead think about their town and its attractions and/or whether they get miffed at having to tell people how far away it is from Carlisle?*

* substitute any other towns name; it’s just an example.

It's a f***ing tip tbf
So is the whole country. :lol:

To get filled in, in the first pub you visit takes some doing

I’ve never witnessed anyone get filled in, without them 100% working their tickets and getting a deserved slap
Agree. You could be a worky ticket in miami, and get filled in.

Thats no different to anywhere else in the country.

See Brum/Wolves
Liverpool/Birkenhead
Leeds/Wakefield
Sheffield/Rotherham
Etc

I had a night out down Liverpool a couple of years back and the main drinking area I found a lot of the bars scruffy & a bit iffy. I'd rather be in Sunderland.
Exactly. Some people have obviously never been out of Sunderland their whole lives.

The rest of the country is pretty much the same or worse

Last edited:
I raised the question last night in the bar here in Kazakhstan. Responses were as follows....

"A bit of a dump like everywhere in the North but not as bad as Luton" - St Albans based Spurs fan.
"f***ing cold" - Ascot based Spurs fan.
" Bars full of birds with almost no clothes on" - Chester based Everton fan.

None have actually been though.

They can be very ignorant.
True.
Goes both ways though as can be seen by years worth of posts on here after the ALS buses have dropped off around Spurs or WHU. Only a fool would judge a place by the streets around a football club as most were established in Victorian times and needed to be in cheap areas near their working class customers because of the obvious transport issues, plus nimbies will have existed back then. These areas have inevitably been run down ower the years and the presence of a football club won’t increase gentrification chances despite what a Levy believes.

Btw I learnt by the mid 80s to describe Sunderland to inquiring southerners as being “on the north east coast about 70 miles south of Scotland”. Deliberately leaving out any reference to Newcastle and allowing them to enquire about a beach if they wanted.
I’ve always advised London club fans going up there to drink down the beach before the match and in the town centre after the match. The ones that do always come back asking “wtf are you doing living down for?” on Monday mornings. A bunch of Millwall lads last season being the latest, they loved it up there.

It happens down here in the south. It's quite common to be ignored by bar staff in the hope you'll piss off. It doesn't happen to me, but I've definitely seen it in practice, and talked about it with others who've seen it. I imagine the bar is set at a different level in many places, but my town has transformed into a very posh town, almost over night. It's really weird to see it happening.
Cmon the where?

True.
Goes both ways though as can be seen by years worth of posts on here after the ALS buses have dropped off around Spurs or WHU. Only a fool would judge a place by the streets around a football club as most were established in Victorian times and needed to be in cheap areas near their working class customers because of the obvious transport issues, plus nimbies will have existed back then. These areas have inevitably been run down ower the years and the presence of a football club won’t increase gentrification chances despite what a Levy believes.

Btw I learnt by the mid 80s to describe Sunderland to inquiring southerners as being “on the north east coast about 70 miles south of Scotland”. Deliberately leaving out any reference to Newcastle and allowing them to enquire about a beach if they wanted.
I’ve always advised London club fans going up there to drink down the beach before the match and in the town centre after the match. The ones that do always come back asking “wtf are you doing living down for?” on Monday mornings. A bunch of Millwall lads last season being the latest, they loved it up there.

Cmon the where?
Me keyboards playing up

Last edited:
True.

Cmon the where?

Me keyboards playing up
There are close minded people everywhere.

I raised the question last night in the bar here in Kazakhstan. Responses were as follows....

"A bit of a dump like everywhere in the North but not as bad as Luton" - St Albans based Spurs fan.
"f***ing cold" - Ascot based Spurs fan.
" Bars full of birds with almost no clothes on" - Chester based Everton fan.

None have actually been though.
You’ve asked people from three of the nicest places in the U.K. about Sunderland? That’s as mag as can be that.

Back