How Sunderland is viewed

on the whole yes but every single time we came to Sunderland for a night out we got grief ( mid to late 80s )

we probably stood out mind, always a mini bus full because there was no transport from Birtley to Sunderland and we wouldn't know where we were going either, never ventured into town on a matchday from Roker
The 80's was a rough era though. Most towns have moved on since then, but it's fair to say that parts of Sunderland haven't.

Happy to see them fail. If they can't relate to the populace around them, and not charge exorbitant prices, in the hope it'll draw a better class of punter, then they deserve it.

What if the bar is packed out every Friday and Saturday more or less all day. And does a fairly bustling midweek trade.

Surely you can do without people whose face, clothing and taste in food and drink doesn’t fit?

I've never heard of that ever happening to anyone.
It happens down here in the south. It's quite common to be ignored by bar staff in the hope you'll piss off. It doesn't happen to me, but I've definitely seen it in practice, and talked about it with others who've seen it. I imagine the bar is set at a different level in many places, but my town has transformed into a very posh town, almost over night. It's really weird to see it happening.

I think some think of the Town as Arizona, TTonic, Baroque, Revs, and not a lot else.

There's nice bars and good alternate routes you can take in the town these days. Sunniside the obvious one. Then there's the likes of The Engine Room, Port of Call, Dun Cow, Hidden seems canny, Life of Riley's still alright. To an extent, I think the town is what you make it.
But if you were a young un looking for a Newcastle-style night out, then you’re also catered for. Put it this way. If you were on a hen night and accidentally got off at Sunderland instead of Newcastle, you wouldn't he disappointed.
depends where you go to be fair

Some lovely boozers in Sunderland and some nice areas to take people

unfortunately the town centre is frequented by the bad boys brigade
Where would one need to go to observe said bad boys brigade? I go all over town and have never met them.

It happens down here in the south. It's quite common to be ignored by bar staff in the hope you'll piss off. It doesn't happen to me, but I've definitely seen it in practice, and talked about it with others who've seen it. I imagine the bar is set at a different level in many places, but my town has transformed into a very posh town, almost over night. It's really weird to see it happening.

Where in the south? :lol:

What if the bar is packed out every Friday and Saturday more or less all day. And does a fairly bustling midweek trade.

Surely you can do without people whose face, clothing and taste in food and drink doesn’t fit?
There are a couple that are thriving, but I have to say that a few have gone to the wall. That kind of stance is fine in a big city, with plenty of punters, but not really a sustainable business model in a small town, with far too many bars, and cafes.

There are a couple that are thriving, but I have to say that a few have gone to the wall. That kind of stance is fine in a big city, with plenty of punters, but not really a sustainable business model in a small town, with far too many bars, and cafes.

Said bar was in a small town near Manchester. Admittedly it benefits from being in Cheshire and people having a bit of money.

Pub was absolutely rammed on a Saturday night. Someone shuffled up to the bar and asks “Have you not got any ‘normal’ lagers.”

Told him that we don’t have any major brands (of any style of beer, not just lager) but we did have a couple of pilsners in. When he started twisting I just couldn’t be arsed and said “Spoons is over the road.”

Nothing I could do, complaining to me isn’t going to make me rustle up a keg of Stella from somewhere. It was 3-4 deep all along the bar so if he wasn’t happy he was welcome to go elsewhere.

If it was a bit quieter I could have talked him through what we had and offered him some tasters but I could see he was getting a bit difficult/had already had a drink.

Quite why you’d go into an unfamiliar bar and complain they don’t have a drink you’re familiar with I don’t know.

Said bar was in a small town near Manchester. Admittedly it benefits from being in Cheshire and people having a bit of money.

Pub was absolutely rammed on a Saturday night. Someone shuffled up to the bar and asks “Have you not got any ‘normal’ lagers.”

Told him that we don’t have any major brands (of any style of beer, not just lager) but we did have a couple of pilsners in. When he started twisting I just couldn’t be arsed and said “Spoons is over the road.”

Nothing I could do, complaining to me isn’t going to make me rustle up a keg of Stella from somewhere. It was 3-4 deep all along the bar so if he wasn’t happy he was welcome to go elsewhere.

If it was a bit quieter I could have talked him through what we had and offered him some tasters but I could see he was getting a bit difficult/had already had a drink.

Quite why you’d go into an unfamiliar bar and complain they don’t have a drink you’re familiar with I don’t know.
That's not being nasty and condescending but giving the punter some decent advice.

Back