How much does a block paved drive cost?

True. Can't think of a single instance where this has happened to anyone I know mind. Is it common?
Electric board took my block paving up last year to fix a faulty ring main in the cul de sac...

They did a good job of relaying what they took up and since been no sagging or sinking.

They did kill my apple tree and all the missus's shrubs whilst trying to diagnose the fault though ...eejits

Is that right mate? Best contact the Council then before you do it as it’s a change of use. They have the final say. That’s unless Boris rips up the rule book before you do it.

I emailed DCC first and they confirmed they don’t own it aye, it wasn’t clear on their map so I checked to be safe initially.

Quotes coming in for a 90m² driveway resin bonded installation. Digging out 6-8", levelling, porous underlay (probably tarmac), sub-surface then resin bonded surface all over. Brick edging right round to keep it all in and a new soak-away dug out adjacent. Few manholes and down-pipe drains included. Material cost is £70/m², digging out is the same again. So £140/m². Total job is £14k. Not cheap :(

I’m thinking the digging out I may do myself to keep the cost down somewhat, the lads doing it would probably have to make sure it was right but that would keep the cost down to some extent, I need to measure it up properly.
Change of use mate, Council might not own it but that doesn’t say it doesn’t need planning permission.

Interesting the housing company said they make a decision within 10 working days and write to me to confirm either way, no mention of DCC from their side, they only asked that I’d checked who owned it. I’ll double check to be safe.

Last edited:
I’m thinking the digging out I may do myself to keep the cost down somewhat, the lads doing it would probably have to make sure it was right but that would keep the cost down to some extent, I need to measure it up properly.

Interesting the housing company said they make a decision within 10 working days and write to me to confirm either way, no mention of DCC from their side, they only asked that I’d checked who owned it. I’ll double check to be safe.
Double check with the planners mate. The council assets won’t be talking to their planners. Planning enforcement are ruthless, they’ll just serve a notice telling you to rip it back up.

I had mine done in Beamish Cobble blocks, around 70 square metres, a wall post, a 1m wide wall 1m high then another wall post for about 5505, that included a drop kerb aswell.

I'min DCC and you dont need planning permission if its drained correctly, I did need planning permission for the drop kerb though.
Yeah, it's the maintaining I have an issue with. Proper ballache of a job just to get it back to nearly as good as it used to be. Nice zero maintenance upkeep is what I'd be after.
Get it sealed and it's great for ages, no werds in the cracks and any oil or tyre Mark's just blasts off with a washer

Last edited:
You’re not supposed to discharge water onto a public highway from your property, afaik that’s always been the case. Having said that most houses do drain onto the highway, you don’t need planning permission if you’re paving your front garden and it has drainage or permeable paving, new houses are the same. If it’s standard blocks etc it must fall into a drain or onto a lawn if its over 5M2 or you do need permission, I’m fairly sure sunderland council don’t enforce this rule though.

With regard dropped kerbs, they are the property of the local authority and usually require the work to be done by them, even though they charge a fortune.

Resin concrete driveways should be done in sections to prevent cracking (you never see large areas of concrete done commercially because they crack), they never are though and the cost is stupid for what they are, as someone else has pointed out if there is a problem below it’s goosed.

I'd go for that compact stones/resin carry on if affordable like. It looks topper and zero maintenance. Block paving is just a bad idea all round once its a few years old.

That resin carry on is next, and I am pleased to say, last thing on our list. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Stanton’s from sunderland .Very good friends of mine and to say they are MLF is an understatement

Job now completed, you were right, these are top drawer.

Great advice from the fatha, prompt replies, lads who done the work were all spot on, job completed within the promised time, great end result and a fair price.

Never felt stressed at any stage. They were class.

Thanks again for the recommendation mate.

Last edited:
What company was this out of interest?
Hampshire based company. Job is now finished. Porous concrete sub base and resin bonded surface. Block edging. Worked out at £140/m² all in. Resin surfacing was £72/m² and he rest was groundwork/plant etc. Front, side and back of the house, 150m² in total. Looks nice. Probably the most expensive of the 'new drive etc' options but, so far, I'm happy with it. And skint.

Back