How much does a block paved drive cost?

There’s some land at the side of my house that is big enough for a double driveway, that plus a wall round it would be required, anyone got a rough idea what that’ll set me back?

I reckon between £4-6 grand and the price will depend on what type of blocks you are getting, as some are more expensive than others such as granite.

The biggest cost will be how much the company prices are, unfortunately there are a lot of cowboys in this trade who will rip you off and do a poor job. If you want to reduce the cost you can always do it yourself which will save you a few grand and give yourself a little project to do. 🙂

You don’t normally need planning for a driveway as long as the material is porous. If the property was listed you would need permission.

Have the council said you need planning? Shouldn’t do.

The council don’t own the land, it’s a housing group that own some of the houses on my road, so they get final say apparently.
I reckon between £4-6 grand and the price will depend on what type of blocks you are getting, as some are more expensive than others such as granite.

The biggest cost will be how much the company prices are, unfortunately there are a lot of cowboys in this trade who will rip you off and do a poor job. If you want to reduce the cost you can always do it yourself which will save you a few grand and give yourself a little project to do. 🙂

I’ll be honest I’m not remotely technical, I’ll do my homework and get someone in that comes recommended, I’ve got an overall plan for how I want it to look when it’s done.

Last edited:
Block paving is shite, as gets covered in weeds. I'd just go for tarmac

Parents just got a resin one done & that cost £7k
I'd go for that compact stones/resin carry on if affordable like. It looks topper and zero maintenance. Block paving is just a bad idea all round once its a few years old.

I'd go for that compact stones/resin carry on if affordable like. It looks topper and zero maintenance. Block paving is just a bad idea all round once its a few years old.
Mine is 10+ years. Get a good company to install it, and maintain it every other year. Still looks great

Mine is 10+ years. Get a good company to install it, and maintain it every other year. Still looks great
Yeah, it's the maintaining I have an issue with. Proper ballache of a job just to get it back to nearly as good as it used to be. Nice zero maintenance upkeep is what I'd be after.

I like the look of this and was trying to convince my lass(no) we should get it but a couple down the street have had it down maybe 3 years and there's a big crack down the middle of it.
The price was already a hurdle. No way can I sell it to the Mrs if it doesn't last.

Quotes coming in for a 90m² driveway resin bonded installation. Digging out 6-8", levelling, porous underlay (probably tarmac), sub-surface then resin bonded surface all over. Brick edging right round to keep it all in and a new soak-away dug out adjacent. Few manholes and down-pipe drains included. Material cost is £70/m², digging out is the same again. So £140/m². Total job is £14k. Not cheap :(

Quotes coming in for a 90m² driveway resin bonded installation. Digging out 6-8", levelling, porous underlay (probably tarmac), sub-surface then resin bonded surface all over. Brick edging right round to keep it all in and a new soak-away dug out adjacent. Few manholes and down-pipe drains included. Material cost is £70/m², digging out is the same again. So £140/m². Total job is £14k. Not cheap :(

What company was this out of interest?

I like the look of this and was trying to convince my lass(no) we should get it but a couple down the street have had it down maybe 3 years and there's a big crack down the middle of it.
The price was already a hurdle. No way can I sell it to the Mrs if it doesn't last.
Its like the imprinted concrete isn't it, 1 crack and its fucked. Blocks all day for me.

Back