How long to sort out this mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but there was absolutely zero reason why we couldn't do that in the Premiership and still have the money and status to bring in better players. Going down was an absolute disaster. Just because the Mags done so and walked it got our fans frothing at the mouth that we could replicate it and so many were actually wishing we would be relegated.

Pros and cons mate. We were saddled with loads of mercenaries who were happy to stay, rock the boat and pick up a hefty wage. A relegation, knowing they would want to jump ship, needn’t have been the disaster it turned out. I see what your saying tho and like I said before, our issues say more about how things have been managed since Rather than being just about the relegation. I hope at some point some structure is put in place to kick start this club because it can be rocking when things are going in the right direction

I genuinely fear for the clubs future at the moment. I can see us being stuck in leagues 1 .....and god forbid, league 2.....for 10/15 years.

That's if we survive as i think administration/closure is a real possibility :eek:

They all had some proper money behind them though. Leeds have been a mess for years and are still f***ing about outside the Premier League - they are not something to aspire to, but as a model for relative success theirs is probably the best we could hope for at the minute.
Pumping money in is good short term but there needs to be a decent set up behind that to ensure stability moving forward. I think behind the scenes is as important as sorting out the first team and hopefully the money from FPP will enable that. I would be prepared to wait if I knew there was a plan and method behind any of this. There’s not a drastic need for huge expenditure on the first team in this division as other teams prove. It’s about getting the right personnel, not the most expensive

and that is a by-product of Stewart Donald's ineptitude. No-one can expect to be still getting 30k+ crowds with what is on sale at the minute.
This is a very low income area and I'm sure many make sacrifices to attend. Why should they if the owner is making such a pig's ear of everything?
Yeah was going say, I would be reluctant to blame fans for staying away, but ask why are they staying away and fix that. That's the problem that needs solutions.

One half decent manager would get us promoted this season

Look what happened when king Reid took owa think he only made once singing to what was estinally Buxton calamity

Saved us from relegation champions the next
This. Its very quickly fixed if you make the right appointment and get recruitment right.

I genuinely fear for the clubs future at the moment. I can see us being stuck in leagues 1 .....and god forbid, league 2.....for 10/15 years.

That's if we survive as i think administration/closure is a real possibility :eek:

I've got an awful feeling we are going to be the big club that was warned about as being the first to go pop.
Donald's bumbling interview on Radio Newcastle the other weekdid nothing to ease my concerns. His erm erms before every answer regarding finances smacked of someone talking shite and thinking on his feet.

Yeah was going say, I would be reluctant to blame fans for staying away, but ask why are they staying away and fix that. That's the problem that needs solutions.

And that's what I'm trying not to do. The problem they have is that if the fans stay away it makes it harder to fix the problems, because the income isn't there. The cynics will say they should just pump money in, but, frankly, we all know where that can lead, and it's what the majority of clubs are now trying to get away from.

I've got an awful feeling we are going to be the big club that was warned about as being the first to go pop.
Donald's bumbling interview on Radio Newcastle the other weekdid nothing to ease my concerns. His erm erms before every answer regarding finances smacked of someone talking shite and thinking on his feet.

He reminds me of Reynolds when he was at Darlington....................and look how that ended up !!

Pumping money in is good short term but there needs to be a decent set up behind that to ensure stability moving forward. I think behind the scenes is as important as sorting out the first team and hopefully the money from FPP will enable that. I would be prepared to wait if I knew there was a plan and method behind any of this. There’s not a drastic need for huge expenditure on the first team in this division as other teams prove. It’s about getting the right personnel, not the most expensive
It's good long term anarl. It funds proper signings - players with a real potential for resale. What money were we even going to make back on Will Grigg? Max Power? Connor McLaughlin? Dylan McGeouch? If things carry on as they are there won't be a 'behind the scenes'.

And that's what I'm trying not to do. The problem they have is that if the fans stay away it makes it harder to fix the problems, because the income isn't there. The cynics will say they should just pump money in, but, frankly, we all know where that can lead, and it's what the majority of clubs are now trying to get away from.
The club can't expect fans to keep turning up to games though, and further more trust the current custodians with their hard earned money, as so far they haven't demonstrated they havent got a clue on the football side of things.

Maybe if money is restricted a bit they might get a bit more creative rather than waste it.

The club can't expect fans to keep turning up to games though, and further more trust the current custodians with their hard earned money, as so far they haven't demonstrated they havent got a clue on the football side of things.

Maybe if money is restricted a bit they might get a bit more creative rather than waste it.

That's why it's potentially a vicious circle.

100 points is still possible
He reminds me of Reynolds when he was at Darlington....................and look how that ended up !!
this season is over now and crowds will drop to 12-15k next season and if we dont get up the ground is at risk the following season,i can see administration in the future and a points deduction and relegation.

Last edited:
It's good long term anarl. It funds proper signings - players with a real potential for resale. What money were we even going to make back on Will Grigg? Max Power? Connor McLaughlin? Dylan McGeouch? If things carry on as they are there won't be a 'behind the scenes'.

point in question is Will Grigg. Big money for this league but absolutely awful in this team. Recruitment needs to be on the right players not the most expensive

Simple answer is who knows. You came into this league with the biggest advantage any club has ever had. That is being dissipated every week. Historically only 1 club of Sunderland historical stature has fallen this far-Villa in early 1970s who endured 2 seasons. Whether that is relevant to modern football decide among yourselves. Most recent comparisons are Man City with 1 season and Leeds 3 seasons.-Leeds starting with 15 point deduction. Modern football was meant to protect likes of Sunderland crashing this far. That the safety net failed them means now into unknown territory that no club with 10 consecutive Premier seasons has ever needed to think about.

Ok I’ll do it.

I’ll sort behind the scenes out in 4 weeks. The playing side will take to mid January. We’ll make the playoffs on the last day.

To make the Netflix finale even more blockbusting we’ll win the a playoff final penalty shoot out 9-8 as our new Polish left back Griki May (great lad works his arse off and had a wand of a left peg - decent plumber too if anyone needs one) sticks his pelanty in the stanchion.

Now to get the ball rolling I’ve had a word with my Nigerian accountant and if 10,000 stick a fiver in my PayPal account we’ll provide golden returns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you might be disappointed. We’ve had £40m worth of parachute payments since we dropped to this level that have been utterly wasted. Somehow they’re still needing to scratch around for investment. Next season our turnover will be £25m less than last season and £15m less than this. If they’re struggling financially while our turnover is around £30m wait until it falls under £20m.

Every footballing decision they’ve made has set us back. The appointments of Richard hill and Paul Reid are disgraceful really. Complete example of jobs for the boys. There’s no footballing structure, vision or culture despite the best opportunity we’ve had to rebuild for years.

All our academy prospects have been let go for buttons. According to some of the parents this was encouraged. Mumba was tied down, given a couple of games and never seen again. Instead they’re choosing to play him out of position for the u23s. The u23 and u18s get battered every single week.

The signings we’ve made have been short term fixes with no forward planning. There’s maybe only onien and Dobson who you can argue could potentially improve with us and eventually play championship football. We should have been investing in players who we can improve with us and either come up the leagues with us or we can sell for profit.

There’s not a single thing going for us. Every decision made by the board has been to turn us into a league one club and they’ve succeeded. Fans, stadium and academy (building not roster) aside we’re an average league one club in every aspect now thanks to them. We could be here for a good while yet.

Hit the nail on the head there. I do wonder, with parachute payments ending, how long we are financially viable in league 1. Imagine the wages, ground rent, policing bills etc are higher than income.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back