How long to sort out this mess

LostTheDressingRoom

Central Defender
Giving PP funding to shape this team in his eyes could take a few transfer windows to unwind. This season is a write off, he'll be sacked by March and will leave a thoroughly demoralised wreckage of a squad. Guessing 1 further year to sort out

Giving PP funding to shape this team in his eyes could take a few transfer windows to unwind. This season is a write off, he'll be sacked by March and will leave a thoroughly demoralised wreckage of a squad. Guessing 1 further year to sort out
One half decent manager would get us promoted this season

Look what happened when king Reid took owa think he only made once singing to what was estinally Buxton calamity

Saved us from relegation champions the next

I think you might be disappointed. We’ve had £40m worth of parachute payments since we dropped to this level that have been utterly wasted. Somehow they’re still needing to scratch around for investment. Next season our turnover will be £25m less than last season and £15m less than this. If they’re struggling financially while our turnover is around £30m wait until it falls under £20m.

Every footballing decision they’ve made has set us back. The appointments of Richard hill and Paul Reid are disgraceful really. Complete example of jobs for the boys. There’s no footballing structure, vision or culture despite the best opportunity we’ve had to rebuild for years.

All our academy prospects have been let go for buttons. According to some of the parents this was encouraged. Mumba was tied down, given a couple of games and never seen again. Instead they’re choosing to play him out of position for the u23s. The u23 and u18s get battered every single week.

The signings we’ve made have been short term fixes with no forward planning. There’s maybe only onien and Dobson who you can argue could potentially improve with us and eventually play championship football. We should have been investing in players who we can improve with us and either come up the leagues with us or we can sell for profit.

There’s not a single thing going for us. Every decision made by the board has been to turn us into a league one club and they’ve succeeded. Fans, stadium and academy (building not roster) aside we’re an average league one club in every aspect now thanks to them. We could be here for a good while yet.

We could be stuck in League 1 or worse for a long time yet. Last season was the time we should have had no excuses for getting promoted. Parachute payments, a sprinkling of players with premier league experience still at the club, crowds in excess of 30k.
This year the squad is significantly weaker, we’ve employed a manager who’s approach to the game is about as unsuited to our playing squad as it would be possible to appoint, and surprise surprise the crowds are dwindling.

This summer when we fail to get promoted anyone with any talent or ambition will leave the club and we’ll be stuck in a lower league rut haemorrhaging money at an alarming rate.

Should have been sacked straight after the Gillingham game :evil:

There's a chance it might never get sorted out at the rate it's going currently.

We need to get relegated and clear the decks, then win loads of games in the lower league and power back to the Prem.

Isn't that the way to do it? Sure that's what I read a lot our fans wished for on here when we were somebody in the Premiership...

Anyone looking to invest/buy the club would likely wait for the club to fail to acheive promotion this year, and pick up for a reduced cost next year. By that time SD will be begging for someone to take the club off his hands.

I cannot see anyone investing more this season, when they know the can pick the club up much cheaper next. I fear another season in League 1 awaits

We need to get relegated and clear the decks, then win loads of games in the lower league and power back to the Prem.

Isn't that the way to do it? Sure that's what I read a lot our fans wished for on here when we were somebody in the Premiership...
I know you’re being sarcastic but the chance to do that was there without a doubt. It’s just been utterly wasted by a dodgy purchase and awful decision making.

Anyone looking to invest/buy the club would likely wait for the club to fail to acheive promotion this year, and pick up for a reduced cost next year. By that time SD will be begging for someone to take the club off his hands.

I cannot see anyone investing more this season, when they know the can pick the club up much cheaper next. I fear another season in League 1 awaits

SD is already at the point where he can't show his face

If you think back to the honeymoon period how much he enjoyed being the owner , couldn't stop talking, tweeting, going to fan events ...

That's all gone to shit now and I'm sure he's already looking for a way out

We need a squad of young hungry players, ideally with a bit of flair, strength and pace. We need a proper reboot. If that sets us back a bit in the short term then that's fine as it will pay dividends in the medium term if properly managed (I appreciate that's hard to see happening at the minute). We can't continue to look for expensive short term fixes - it doesn't work, and it only leaves us completely unprepared for the Championship should we ever reach those dizzy heights again.

It's staggering to see how far we've plummeted given the absolute competitive advantage we have in this league. Both financially, but also in terms of being the big fish in a tiny pool. For us to be unable to attract players good enough to be in the top part of this division beggars belief.

We need a squad of young hungry players, ideally with a bit of flair, strength and pace. We need a proper reboot. If that sets us back a bit in the short term then that's fine as it will pay dividends in the medium term if properly managed (I appreciate that's hard to see happening at the minute). We can't continue to look for expensive short term fixes - it doesn't work, and it only leaves us completely unprepared for the Championship should we ever reach those dizzy heights again.

It's staggering to see how far we've plummeted given the absolute competitive advantage we have in this league. Both financially, but also in terms of being the big fish in a tiny pool. For us to be unable to attract players good enough to be in the top part of this division beggars belief.
We could attract them we just didn’t want to pay for them. Therefore strategy was to keep us competitive at the lowest cost so the new owners made a bigger profit on the sale. Backfired completely.

tbf Ross was supposed to be our young exciting progressive turnaround manager and he almost was. Management shafted him by replacing Maja with Grigg and he shafted himself by winning too many cup games. Management then weakened the squad over the summer and blamed Ross for the dip in form. It's clear now Ross wasn't the problem.
We could attract them we just didn’t want to pay for them. Therefore strategy was to keep us competitive at the lowest cost so the new owners made a bigger profit on the sale. Backfired completely.
I think SD thought he'd could buy and sell SAFC without dipping into his own pocket which he seems reluctant to do.

Last edited:

I see what you’re saying, but in fairness, we did clear the decks and there was an opportunity to build from the bottom.A decent window last January and then again this summer would’ve had us in a good position to push on but the recruitment has let us down massively. The likes of Leicester, Southampton, Wolves, Leeds have all needed a “reset” and it’s done them Good for the longer term. Our problem is with the decision makers at the club and it has been for a long time

Back