House Part Exchange - New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
did a part-ex in 2009. Got offered about 10k less than others in my street were up for sale for. Took it as got a good deal on new place. It went up for sale for 5k more before we even moved :mad: Told everyone that came to look at it what the builders paid for it. it sold for what i was given in the end :D

others in my street eventually dropped their price to what mine sold for.

as @AndrewP said, they offer a price for what they’ll sell for.

aye us too. just shows you the margins on new builds that they can chin off 4k at a stroke

Similar story to this. I'd only been in the house (just me) about 2 years and I paid the full asking price as there was only 1 house for sale in the area, 2 of us in for it and I was back at the folks after a divorce. By the time I had come to sell there was already 2 houses for sale in the street and they weren't shifting.

The independent developer offered me £11K less than I'd paid when I was moving in with the good lady. I thought I'd get a low offer but I was expecting about £3 or £4K more. I turned the offer down, they upped it by £500 and I turned that down too.

We had been looking at 2 houses at the new development so I arranged a 2nd viewing at the cheaper property. Before our lass turned up the estate agent asked me what the plan was, I said there wasn't one unless they raised the part ex offer or dropped the price of the new house. He said the developer wouldn't budge on the more expensive house but he was willing to drop the price by £5K on the property we were stood in.

The good lady liked the more expensive house (basically it had a separate garage and a slightly better position) but there was now £15K difference and so to me it was a no brainer. She agreed and we've been here 6 years, very happy :)

Persimmen. Heard really good things about them..................

Not really. taylor wimpey

These built mine ,i was genned up on the whole perceived goings on of builders and the supposed crap houses they buildand went in very warily.Non of it was found to be the case in my experience .

Paper thin walls, horrid weyroc flooring, closed a window upstairs and the house shook. All fixtures and fittings seemed the cheapest of cheap as well such as doors and skirting. More importantly for me though is speaking to builders who work on new builds and all they talk about is how poor the builds are. If the builders themself are saying this then it certainly isn't a good sign.

Another issue i would have is that most development have plots that they give to the local authority. I'd be seriously pissed off if I had spent shitloads on a new home and a council family rocked up next door.

Why?
:confused:

These built mine ,i was genned up on the whole perceived goings on of builders and the supposed crap houses they buildand went in very warily.Non of it was found to be the case in my experience .
I've heard the same. Mate of mine has been in his place (same house style, same development) for a year with no problems. The odd snag of course, but nothing major

We bought ours from Persimmon and the quality is good. The usual “new builds are poor quality” hasn’t really been my experience at all, although we did put amtico flooring on the bottom and high end carpets up stairs which may reduce noise to a degree. We have had the usual snagging stuff but nothing major and they’ve always been spot on and timely with the repairs.

As usual people join the thread to slate newbuilds.

Been in mine almost 2 year now, love it :cool:

Paper thin walls is a complete myth, we're semi detached and the neighbours had a bairn about 6months after we moved in and weve never heard a single thing from them through the walls.

On our estate there are 4 social housing and they are all bungalows. The 2 closest to us, one is an older couple where the bloke is disabled, lovely fella. The other we hardly ever see.

Social housing isnt always riff raff. Another common myth.

Paper thin walls isnt a myth. Its not the dividing walls in semis, its the internal walls in the house are nothing more than stud walls. Ive lived in new build & 100 year old house, and there is a big difference

Paper thin walls isnt a myth. Its not the dividing walls in semis, its the internal walls in the house are nothing more than stud walls. Ive lived in new build & 100 year old house, and there is a big difference

This, and i live in a 20 year old house so not being biased.

The solid internal wall in an old house serves no purpose though. A new build is warmer and quieter vs an old house. It’s a bit like old versus modern cars. An ancient Volvo might have doors that feel like they are really heavy and solid but the newer lighter car will be safer.

The solid internal wall in an old house serves no purpose though. A new build is warmer and quieter vs an old house. It’s a bit like old versus modern cars. An ancient Volvo might have doors that feel like they are really heavy and solid but the newer lighter car will be safer.

A new build is not quieter mind, crap cheap weyroc flooring can be heard everywhere and the paper thin internal walls mean you can be sitting downstairs and hear everything someone upstairs is saying.

We’re in the process of doing this. Had all the valuers etc out on Tuesday just waiting for them to make an offer, which we have been told will be either today or tomorrow.

We’d already had a couple of “no obligation” Estate Agent visits last week with a view to getting our house on the market so, when asked what our expectations were I went for the highest quote. We’ve done our sums and know the lowest we can accept.

We’re in the process of doing this. Had all the valuers etc out on Tuesday just waiting for them to make an offer, which we have been told will be either today or tomorrow.

We’d already had a couple of “no obligation” Estate Agent visits last week with a view to getting our house on the market so, when asked what our expectations were I went for the highest quote. We’ve done our sums and know the lowest we can accept.
Just had the offer. It was the same value as the first estate agent we got out last week gave us, and £10k more than the minimum we could have accepted to make it a goer.

Last edited:
Update on this....

Agreed the part ex with TW and managed to get them to pay the stamp duty
Our house has been up for sale for 2 months with plenty of viewings but no concrete interest
TW have done 3 surveys on our house, appearing to be looking for any potential issue to pull out or reduce the PX fee
Solicitor is expecting to exchange this week
We have a provisional moving date of early Dec
Spent best part of £7k on "options" :rolleyes:
Whole process seems to have gone really smoothly, keep waiting for something to go wrong (plenty time yet)
Hopefully, by Xmas I'll be sat in my new garden with a fire pit blazing away and zero chavs fighting in the street or stealing my car

Update on this....

Agreed the part ex with TW and managed to get them to pay the stamp duty
Our house has been up for sale for 2 months with plenty of viewings but no concrete interest
TW have done 3 surveys on our house, appearing to be looking for any potential issue to pull out or reduce the PX fee
Solicitor is expecting to exchange this week
We have a provisional moving date of early Dec
Spent best part of £7k on "options" :rolleyes:
Whole process seems to have gone really smoothly, keep waiting for something to go wrong (plenty time yet)
Hopefully, by Xmas I'll be sat in my new garden with a fire pit blazing away and zero chavs fighting in the street or stealing my car
It’s not a town house is it .?

We never had anything like this. TW insisted we got an electrical safety certificate but haven’t even flinched at the mention of 60 year old wiring or recommended upgrades.

We signed the contract stuff 3 weeks ago and are expecting to get our 14 days notice on Friday, but both out solicitors and TWs have been working on an entry date of 25th Oct so we won’t be taking the full 14 days (due to a major new IT system going live at work in 1 November although we were told last week it’s been delayed but still soldiering on towards a move next week).

We never had anything like this. TW insisted we got an electrical safety certificate but haven’t even flinched at the mention of 60 year old wiring or recommended upgrades.

We signed the contract stuff 3 weeks ago and are expecting to get our 14 days notice on Friday, but both out solicitors and TWs have been working on an entry date of 25th Oct so we won’t be taking the full 14 days (due to a major new IT system going live at work in 1 November although we were told last week it’s been delayed but still soldiering on towards a move next week).
To be fair, it's only me who has any concerns, my solicitor is completely calm and tells me it's all very normal. TW seem quite relaxed too so Guess it's all going as predicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back