House Part Exchange - New Build

Jokingly offered the lass living in our house our old one as part ex and she went for it!!!

Moving day was interesting though. We had to put everything in the back garden so she could empty her place n get into ours.

I've posted asking about leaseholds and freeholds on a couple of threads recently.

If you or anyone are buying a new build then please, please, please look into leaseholds, freeholds and fleeceholds. Understand them and understand what you are buying.

I thought I understood leaseholds as we used to own one. Totally wrong. We owned an older house with an older peppercorn rent leasehold and it only cost a few hundred quid to buy the leasehold. Some people are buying quoted trends of thousands these days due to the level of ground rent.

There were demonstrations in London two days ago regarding leaseholds covered by the national press.

Most new builds were being built as leaseholds, until they outlawed it last December. They'd been putting ground rent in the hundreds and diving every 10 years leaving people unable to remortgage or sell their property.

They've recently been selling as freehold but with management fees as councils aren't adopting the roads and green areas in the estates.

Fair enough you might think, but those fees are unregistere and can rise year after year for no work being done.

If you are about to buy a new build house, do some reading first or you'll possibly be signing up to something you didn't realise you were getting into.

I've posted asking about leaseholds and freeholds on a couple of threads recently.

If you or anyone are buying a new build then please, please, please look into leaseholds, freeholds and fleeceholds. Understand them and understand what you are buying.

I thought I understood leaseholds as we used to own one. Totally wrong. We owned an older house with an older peppercorn rent leasehold and it only cost a few hundred quid to buy the leasehold. Some people are buying quoted trends of thousands these days due to the level of ground rent.

There were demonstrations in London two days ago regarding leaseholds covered by the national press.

Most new builds were being built as leaseholds, until they outlawed it last December. They'd been putting ground rent in the hundreds and diving every 10 years leaving people unable to remortgage or sell their property.

They've recently been selling as freehold but with management fees as council's aren't adopting the roads and green areas in the estates.

Fair enough you might think, but those fees are unregistere and can rise year after year for no work being done.

If you are about to buy a new build house, do some reading first or you'll possibly be signing up to something you didn't realise you were getting into.
Good advice. Ours is a freehold

As soon as you move in get the locks changed. They put bog standard European locks on the houses that are piss poor. I moved into a new build in 2008, less than 2 months in and a third of the estate had been burgled.

Starting to look at houses with a view to moving in the New Year. Spotted 'part exchange' on the Taylor Wimpey site and wondered if anyone had ever done this? Is it worth it? Presumably it's similar to part ex on a car where you get much less than the value but it's less hassle?

Anyone experienced this?
I moved into a new build in December, i did PX and got £128,000, the house remains unsold at a fixed price of £112,000 now, I guess you win some and lose some.

Would never ever get a new build house from the likes of Barrett and taylor wimpey etc. Just my opinion. We viewed houses by them in Hebburn and the build quality is so shit.

In what way was the quality shit?

Paper thin walls, horrid weyroc flooring, closed a window upstairs and the house shook. All fixtures and fittings seemed the cheapest of cheap as well such as doors and skirting. More importantly for me though is speaking to builders who work on new builds and all they talk about is how poor the builds are. If the builders themself are saying this then it certainly isn't a good sign.

Another issue i would have is that most development have plots that they give to the local authority. I'd be seriously pissed off if I had spent shitloads on a new home and a council family rocked up next door.

A friend of my wife did it about 5 or 6 years ago. It worked in their favour because their old house was on the market for months and ended up selling for less than the builders “gave” them for it.

Paper thin walls, horrid weyroc flooring, closed a window upstairs and the house shook. All fixtures and fittings seemed the cheapest of cheap as well such as doors and skirting. More importantly for me though is speaking to builders who work on new builds and all they talk about is how poor the builds are. If the builders themself are saying this then it certainly isn't a good sign.

Another issue i would have is that most development have plots that they give to the local authority. I'd be seriously pissed off if I had spent shitloads on a new home and a council family rocked up next door.

The social housing will be in a block together & they tell you where they are on the estate. Quite often they're in the plans but never get built anyway

As usual people join the thread to slate newbuilds.

Been in mine almost 2 year now, love it :cool:

Paper thin walls is a complete myth, we're semi detached and the neighbours had a bairn about 6months after we moved in and weve never heard a single thing from them through the walls.

The social housing will be in a block together & they tell you where they are on the estate. Quite often they're in the plans but never get built anyway

On our estate there are 4 social housing and they are all bungalows. The 2 closest to us, one is an older couple where the bloke is disabled, lovely fella. The other we hardly ever see.

Social housing isnt always riff raff. Another common myth.

Last edited:

Back