Houghton CW CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do Houghton have a junior set up? If yes, how well do they do in producing youngsters that step up to the senior ranks?

You are preaching to the converted there mate. Cricket is knackered until it gets itself out to the masses again. 15 years ago lads took themselves to clubs, now clubs have to drag them in.
too much competing for kids time these days, consoles, tablets phones etc. nowt like that when i were a lad! Also hasnt the kids football leagues moved to summer instead of winter which will knacker things even more as kids wold be forced to choose. i always did footy in winter and then cricket in summer.

If the NEDCL join pyramid, I hope this won't be affected. Seem to be a safety net for clubs who hit hard times (for whatever reasons) these days. Kimmer and South Hetton most recently.

Any word on whether Kimmer would apply to take their place??

NEDCL have joined the pyramid, as of this season. So promotion and relegation between dcl 2 and us is now effective.
Any club is able to join a lower league if they fail to meet the criteria of the league they are in. I.e. The nedcl is the only one in the pyramid to accept clubs with only 1 team.
The NEDCL has already been formed for the 2017 so clubs would now be unable to leave as fixtures are now published. So Kimmer must win NEDCL and meet criteria to move up.

Do Houghton have a junior set up? If yes, how well do they do in producing youngsters that step up to the senior ranks?

Started one couple of years back, but lack of interest from volunteers meant it was near impossible to grow, and sustain,

Im not as involved as i used to be, but do know Houghton have not resigned from the DCL.

Personal opinion here, but i can see 2nd team cricket becoming either a sunday league, for those clubs who want it, or a midweek league, even with a junior set up, how many actually go on to play senior cricket and stay with in cricket for years? maybe 5/6 if a club are lucky, and they stay with the same club.... wait and see i guess, but i do see the make up of local cricket changing sooner rather then later.

Started one couple of years back, but lack of interest from volunteers meant it was near impossible to grow, and sustain,

Im not as involved as i used to be, but do know Houghton have not resigned from the DCL.

Personal opinion here, but i can see 2nd team cricket becoming either a sunday league, for those clubs who want it, or a midweek league, even with a junior set up, how many actually go on to play senior cricket and stay with in cricket for years? maybe 5/6 if a club are lucky, and they stay with the same club.... wait and see i guess, but i do see the make up of local cricket changing sooner rather then later.

The new T20 league and TV contract that runs alongside it from 2020 will dictate the long term future of cricket IMO. If they get it right the sport can grow again as it has done with the Big Bash in Australia. Junior set ups will be a lot easier to run if that happens.

Regrettably, I'm led to believe that Houghton are now no longer in the DCL. I assume that they have been admitted back into the NEDL.

Regrettably, I'm led to believe that Houghton are now no longer in the DCL. I assume that they have been admitted back into the NEDL.

I heard that they were due to inform DCL league meeting last night but did not turn up. Think a meeting has been hastily arranged of exec committee to sort it/move on

I stand to be corrected on this

As Greavsie said no one turned up and according to the league it was their last chance to communicate there attentions with the league last night after having a meeting saying they only had 17 players, the league said if they can't turn two teams out they are out. There wasn't much support for them in the room with people saying they should be removed then and there which I think is disapointing however it clearly relates back to the last time they left the coast league. The league were going to talk with a representative from the club last night but have to say it doesn't look good particuarly if they haven't contacted the NEDCL as a backup, hope I'm wrong and surely the 17 lads they have there will want to play in some league.

Also Langley Park could also be in trouble

Last edited:
From twitter just now

Houghton CWCC have tendered their immediate resignation from the Durham Cricket League following unproductive dialogue with the league.

A further statement will follow in due course. But there are no plans on the club continuing in another league, meaning the club is no more

Dreadfully sad news to see a club fold

From twitter just now

Houghton CWCC have tendered their immediate resignation from the Durham Cricket League following unproductive dialogue with the league.

A further statement will follow in due course. But there are no plans on the club continuing in another league, meaning the club is no more

Dreadfully sad news to see a club fold
Real shame this. Hopefully something can be resolved but doesn't sound too good.

Just waiting to see what happens. We have a space avaliable. So shouldnt be a problem fitting them in. Fingers crossed they keep going.

Sad to see a club go under, especially one i played for in the past. Hope they can get back to playing as soon as possible.

Very sad to hear that this is confirmed. It was to be hoped that the NEDL would be their safety net, but if there's no appetite amongst the lads at HCWCC to plough on, so be it. They did well to build the club back up in the first place, and it must wear people down constantly having to fight to get sides on the field. Its going to be an ongoing struggle from here on in for a lot of clubs; with participation on a steady downward trend, unfortunately they won't be the last. In 5-10 years time local cricket could be unrecognisable.

Yes was confirmed to the NEDCL last night that Houghton, did not have suffice to players left. ( or wanting to drop down a league) to continue so have called it a day. In the Nedcl Tantobie are struggling to raise a team and Simonside will field only one team this season.

Yes was confirmed to the NEDCL last night that Houghton, did not have suffice to players left. ( or wanting to drop down a league) to continue so have called it a day. In the Nedcl Tantobie are struggling to raise a team and Simonside will field only one team this season.

Tantobie struggling to raise one team??

They had sunday 3s as recently as 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back