Houghton CW CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweeper

Striker
Hearing on the grapevine that they are on the verge of resigning from the DCL and rejoining the NEDL for this coming season. Unable to field two Saturday sides apparently.

Real shame. Really good group of lads played in their juniors when I first started playing lads like big gazza, the Elliot's and hubba, Jonty Grant did a lot of good work their as well and is a fantastic bloke. Hopefully they pull through.

Hate to see clubs struggling

This 100%. The only positive is the most clubs that hit the tough times do tend to come back at some point in one way or another. Most clubs have a period where people throw themselves into it (without the money aspect) and bring their club back to an even keel which tends to run on for a decent length of time. Tends to start with a good crop of younguns with willing parents plus a couple of really dedicated people to take it on that bit further.

There's not many clubs around the area who haven't had barren/tough spells over the past 25/30 year although there have been some sad casualties.

Good luck to Houghton and all the others out there that are struggling.

Real shame. Really good group of lads played in their juniors when I first started playing lads like big gazza, the Elliot's and hubba, Jonty Grant did a lot of good work their as well and is a fantastic bloke. Hopefully they pull through.

Good lad Jonty him and Mike done so good work at Houghton in the day ( give me a ring sometime Mike )

Hate to see sides struggling, but NEDCL is always there to pick up the pieces.

If the NEDCL join pyramid, I hope this won't be affected. Seem to be a safety net for clubs who hit hard times (for whatever reasons) these days. Kimmer and South Hetton most recently.

Any word on whether Kimmer would apply to take their place??

This is another reason why I think we should follow the NYSD model. All current leagues (NEPL down to the NEDCL) creating numerous divisions which includes both 1st teams and 2nd teams. Promotion and relegation will mean clubs with stronger 2nd teams will play against some of the weaker 1st teams eventually but would also mean that those clubs who couldn't put out a 2nd team wouldn't have to drop out of leagues and into others. We would also have the added bonus of consistent rules and regulations throughout the league unlike now where everyone plays something slightly different.

This is another reason why I think we should follow the NYSD model. All current leagues (NEPL down to the NEDCL) creating numerous divisions which includes both 1st teams and 2nd teams. Promotion and relegation will mean clubs with stronger 2nd teams will play against some of the weaker 1st teams eventually but would also mean that those clubs who couldn't put out a 2nd team wouldn't have to drop out of leagues and into others. We would also have the added bonus of consistent rules and regulations throughout the league unlike now where everyone plays something slightly different.

Disagree on basis that clubs wouldn't have the extra incentive they do now to retain a second team (DCL membership). Clubs are also more likely to start junior set ups when they know they need a second team.

Disagree on basis that clubs wouldn't have the extra incentive they do now to retain a second team (DCL membership). Clubs are also more likely to start junior set ups when they know they need a second team.

Getting harder and harder to do that mate, particularly in saturated areas. This new initiative the ECB are kicking off may help things in 5-10 years but at present kids just don't recognise cricket as a sport (there was some very frightening stats on this delivered at Durham CB). If you are in an area where there are already a few established clubs with reputations it is very difficult to gain the interest from kids and, most importantly, parents in taking up and supporting the game.

Unless that is addressed, second team cricket towards the lower end of the pyramid systems will become less and less visible; and the standard will decrease when clubs just attempt to throw eleven bodies out there.

A lot of clubs are struggling, not for the want of trying, and there are no easy answers unfortunately.

Getting harder and harder to do that mate, particularly in saturated areas. This new initiative the ECB are kicking off may help things in 5-10 years but at present kids just don't recognise cricket as a sport (there was some very frightening stats on this delivered at Durham CB). If you are in an area where there are already a few established clubs with reputations it is very difficult to gain the interest from kids and, most importantly, parents in taking up and supporting the game.

Unless that is addressed, second team cricket towards the lower end of the pyramid systems will become less and less visible; and the standard will decrease when clubs just attempt to throw eleven bodies out there.

A lot of clubs are struggling, not for the want of trying, and there are no easy answers unfortunately.

You are preaching to the converted there mate. Cricket is knackered until it gets itself out to the masses again. 15 years ago lads took themselves to clubs, now clubs have to drag them in.

Blame Littletown...........it's their fault. :p:p

At fault for the demitasse of South Hetton, may as well add another to the list :eek::oops:

In seriousness it's sad to see any club going struggling from a cricket lovers perspective.

Just on the juniors front I have to say that it's not easy at all but not undoable either. I'd classify us as being in a saturated area, Hetton Lyons, Eppleton on doorstep etc but if you're going to do it be prepared for tough grind at times but start at the youngest age possible and work up over. That means tapping into primaries etc.

We are far from perfect particularly in the winter when some very dodgy numbers were turning up indoors but that corner has been turned as season gets closer. As Gav rightly said, cricket has some way to go to compete with the other sport offerings even at primary level before we even get started at senior school level!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back