Houghton CW CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad to see any cricket club fold but this will happen more frequently.
Merging clubs could be the way forward but most of us are stubborn and stuck in our ways and people are reluctant to go down this route.
On the plus side, if there are 17 Cricketers looking for a game then that should make another club, or clubs stronger.

Sad to see any cricket club fold but this will happen more frequently.
Merging clubs could be the way forward but most of us are stubborn and stuck in our ways and people are reluctant to go down this route.
On the plus side, if there are 17 Cricketers looking for a game then that should make another club, or clubs stronger.

Out of those 17, I would predict 10 will just not play anymore for whatever reason.
Houghton had a core of first team players whom are looking elsewhere. And a couple of second teamers who were left will go local.

Sad to see it happen but in all honesty we have been paddling above the water line for about 3 years. Last year was a almighty struggle towards the end of the season and just don't think the lads who were committed wanted to have the hassle again. Those that want to continue to play just want to turn up on a saturday and play cricket, without the setting up, the meetings etc.

Just seen another post on this forum that Murton CC are after first and second team cricketers.
Would the Houghton players move there ?
Will help another club carry on and strengthen.

Just seen another post on this forum that Murton CC are after first and second team cricketers.
Would the Houghton players move there ?
Will help another club carry on and strengthen.

tbh seen a few clubs putting the message out that they need players so this appears to be a similar theme across a few leagues now.

Good luck to the houghton lads, wherever they end up.

Also Langley Park could also be in trouble

Any ideas why? Lack of players too?[/QUOTE]
They're fine which is great news, the league were worried as they hadn't been in contact, ordered any balls for the season or turned up for the meeting but was just a mix up on their part.

I would also echo the sentiments that it is very sad to see Houghton go particularly as an ex member. I know relations have been tense between the two clubs since a split a few years ago but it's fair to say no one at our club wanted to see this happen particularly me and it's a shame a rivalry which imo was a healthy one, has now gone.

After I had left a number of members made great efforts to build the club up back to where it was in the mid 90s but I think a number of factors a lot which no doubt I came across in my time there have hindered them. I hope one day someone gets the enthusiasm and support to bring the club back but I fear the council will quickly turn that area into more football pitches which they only ever cared about anyway.

What a shame, my father-in-law helped re-design the ground there 20-odd years ago and as a local lad its one more club going under in my neck of the woods. I hope they get enough for 1 team and join the NEDL.

Hoping they do too, but last I heard they only had 4 players left. The mercenaries had already gone elsewhere for money I think.

Hoping they do too, but last I heard they only had 4 players left. The mercenaries had already gone elsewhere for money I think.

What mercenaries? Name some names. Sounds you like know the score.

Actually I'll have a bit of a rant.

You clearly know absolutely zero about HCWCC. At the end of the last season we had an overseas pro and another lad who got a little bit (probably less than what we would raise in one week of fundraising). One of them has returned to India, the other has returned to his old club, and I'm absolutely certain he won't be getting paid there.

If you think any of the other lads (a mixture of local lads who've been involved with the club for the best part of two decades who have kept the place going and second team players who came to us from Coxhoe) have left the club for money you are wildly mistaken and should probably keep such nonsense off a public forum, particularly as someone who is seemingly involved on the committee of the NEDCL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really sad news if houghton are going to fold, sad state of affairs.
North east cricket has issues which need addressing for good of game.
There have always been top teams but more accessible travel now means more people move to these side particularly juniors.
It's about time leagues allowed clubs to not enter second teams and if they insist on this rule then arrange for surplus juniors at other clubs to be loaned out. Playing regular cricket against adults will enhance their progression more than bullying other junior teams.
It's not too long ago that I would go to Phili with my bag hoping someone would get injured so I could field as a sub. Now the modern day dads expect kids to be opening batting and bowling and if they don't they take the kids elsewhere

Actually I'll have a bit of a rant.

You clearly know absolutely zero about HCWCC. At the end of the last season we had an overseas pro and another lad who got a little bit (probably less than what we would raise in one week of fundraising). One of them has returned to India, the other has returned to his old club, and I'm absolutely certain he won't be getting paid there.

If you think any of the other lads (a mixture of local lads who've been involved with the club for the best part of two decades who have kept the place going and second team players who came to us from Coxhoe) have left the club for money you are wildly mistaken and should probably keep such nonsense off a public forum, particularly as someone who is seemingly involved on the committee of the NEDCL.

Then i retract that statement mate. Just seems to be a pattern in cricket these days. Glad to hear it wasn't the case at Houghton. You are right I know nothing about what went on at Houghton, just spoken to an ex Houghton committee man, who was as gutted as everyone else that the club looked unlikely to continue. I'm gutted HCWCC has folded, one of the grounds I can remember growing up at as a kid and a ground which will hopefully see cricket again soon. So sorry for any offence but it seems to be sonething plaguing many clubs these days. For the record, I'm not a NEDCL official and never have been.

Last edited:
Then i retract that statement mate. Just seems to be a pattern in cricket these days. Glad to hear it wasn't the case at Houghton. You are right I know nothing about what went on at Houghton, just spoken to an ex Houghton committee man, who was as gutted as everyone else that the club looked unlikely to continue. I'm gutted HCWCC has folded, one of the grounds I can remember growing up at as a kid and a ground which will hopefully see cricket again soon. So sorry for any offence but it seems to be sonething plaguing many clubs these days. For the record, I'm not a NEDCL official and never have been.

Fair enough mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back