Hornets? Bees? What are the insects buzzing about our tree?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5265

We have lots of things that look like hornets - too small to be honey bees - buzzing around a tree in the garden (which has no flowers or fruit on it). It looks like the beginnings of a honey bee swarm, but they're too small.

What's going on oh SMB?

We have lots of things that look like hornets - too small to be honey bees - buzzing around a tree in the garden (which has no flowers or fruit on it). It looks like the beginnings of a honey bee swarm, but they're too small.

What's going on oh SMB?

Hoverflies.

Logon or register to see this image

Plenty about this time of year.

Last edited:

What's going on oh SMB?
People often think honeybees are large like bumbles. They are a similar size to wasps. Hornets are huge in comparison.

If they are honeybees swarming it’s when they are at their safest so don’t worry. They’ve not got a home to protect so don’t usually sting. If you google your local beekeeping association they will probably be glad to come and pick them up.

I once threw bricks at a Hornets nest as a kid and got stung loads of time on the head by a swarm. :lol: Evil bastards if you are evil to them. Sorry Hornets, I would not throw bricks at your nests again!!!:)

I did that, then legged it in the house and locked the door. But the swarm made themselves into the shape of a key and let themselves in :(

Back