Home Working

Anyone else new to this and facing it for the first time?

First full day for me on Monday. Did a day a month or so back when I worked from home either side of a funeral but had some work that did not depend on logging in and video conferencing etc. I am used to the odd weekend or week night marking up plans on my kitchen bar when I have had to put a few extra hours in over the years (I work in engineering design) but this is completely different. We have all the kit and software so should be OK its just a big change in routine and difficult to get your head round it.

Last edited:

First full day for me on Monday. Did a day a month or so back when I worked from home either side of a funeral but had some work that did not depend on logging in and video conferencing etc. I am used to the odd weekend or week night marking up plans on my kitchen bar when I have had to put a few extra hours in over the years (I work in engineering design) but this is completely different. We have all the kit and software so should be OK its just a big change in routine and difficult to get your head round it.
You can sit in your pants all day. Enjoy.

I had a video conference with my boss's boss yesterday. Put on a shirt and hid the beer cans within webcam shot.

Maximum effort :cool:

I hate it. I don't have the discipline and my mind wanders. I like to be around people.

Can't do it cos of my job. Enjoy mate, don't be a tactless idiot on the company yammer about how difficult life is working from home.

My wife is an NHS worker in a hospice. I fully realise not everyone can work from home and upto this point I never did either and its not something I ever thought would happen. I am effectively just doing what I am told and its a huge change in lifestyle and routine, gaining back the hour and a quarter I normally spend commuting is a bonus though and will enable me to start earlier and have breakfast which I never do. I also suspect I will get more done due to less distractions. I will also probably end up working after hours as well as I have always been a night person rather than a morning one. The 9 to 5 has never really suited my body clock.

When I look back to my student days I did most of my work from 7pm to 3am.

Last edited:
You know what. I think I might be the complete opposite. I logged on today and did some work as I was bored and there was nowt else to do.
Good for you mate. When I changed jobs about 4 years ago the ability for me to homework and the worklife balance was a big thing they pitched to me. I do it occasionally - usually when I have something being delivered but I just can't focus as well as I can in the office. Oh it's great not having to commute and I work longer hours when I work from home , and just like you I logged in today to do a little bit but I do miss the buzz of being around others. We are about to go into lockdown I reckon and I will hate it. I have people in my teams who can't homework so they will get a nice paid break as I don't think it is fair in this climate to ask them to commute in - especially those in the London team. I expect from Monday to go into full on remote working mode. Being stuck in the house will drive me up the wall for days/weeks on end.

My wife is an NHS worker in a hospice. I fully realise not everyone can work from home and upto this point I never did either and its not something I ever thought would happen. I am effectively just doing what I am told and its a huge change in lifestyle and routine, gaining back the hour and a quarter I normally spend commuting is a bonus though and will enable me to start earlier and have breakfast which I never do. I also suspect I will get more done due to less distractions. I will also probably end up working after hours as well as I have always been a night person rather than a morning one. The 9 to 5 have never realy suited my body clock.

My idiot comment wasn't aimed at you, just the idiots I work with.

Good for you mate. When I changed jobs about 4 years ago the ability for me to homework and the worklife balance was a big thing they pitched to me. I do it occasionally - usually when I have something being delivered but I just can't focus as well as I can in the office. Oh it's great not having to commute and I work longer hours when I work from home , and just like you I logged in today to do a little bit but I do miss the buzz of being around others. We are about to go into lockdown I reckon and I will hate it. I have people in my teams who can't homework so they will get a nice paid break as I don't think it is fair in this climate to ask them to commute in - especially those in the London team. I expect from Monday to go into full on remote working mode. Being stuck in the house will drive me up the wall for days/weeks on end.

I am planning to get out for an hour each lunchtime and walk. There is a route round the village that takes about 45 minutes so I will be doing that every day unless its chucking it down. I will be starting work earlier and finishing later as well due to the commute.
Aey
Heating Engineer

Which is critical to those of us who have no heating.

Last edited:
Pc set up at dining table. Chair is so uncomfortable to sit on especially as ive averaged 12 hour + days every day. Getting used to it but would prefer to be in office !!!
I did get so much more done WFH before this all kicked off. But now everyone is doing, all the meetings have crept back into the calendar and I never seem to be off MS Teams.
This. MSTeams is the bane of my life. But......first world problems and all that. Many others in worse positions.

Last edited:
My wife is an NHS worker in a hospice. I fully realise not everyone can work from home and upto this point I never did either and its not something I ever thought would happen. I am effectively just doing what I am told and its a huge change in lifestyle and routine, gaining back the hour and a quarter I normally spend commuting is a bonus though and will enable me to start earlier and have breakfast which I never do. I also suspect I will get more done due to less distractions. I will also probably end up working after hours as well as I have always been a night person rather than a morning one. The 9 to 5 has never really suited my body clock.

I've worked from home for about 8 years. My habits are similar to yours. I would add that I have found it very important that you get out of the house even if it's just for 20 minutes a day, I lost my dog on Monday and he was the reason I got some fresh air and stretched my legs twice a day, but there were times when he was housebound due to operations etc and uring those times I found that there were days I started work almost as soon as I woke up, finished late, and never saw the light of day in between. Not healthy at all.

Back