Home Working

I work for myself so have an office set up at home. Usually do a couple of days in a client's office a week, but will be mostly working from home now. One of my contracts was extended last week which was nice. Another finishes on Friday, was supposed to be replaced by a new one but doubt it will be.I have another contract ready to start but not sure how this will go as the person who commissioned the work is off sick. If the new contracts don't start I can see me having only two days work a week and 5 day weekends.

Just seen a video on using something called folding at home, which lets your computer process data on a cure for the coronavirus. Might be useful if folk are working from home:

I've been meaning to put mine to work for while so this morning I have remoted onto a few PCs sitting doing nothing at work and set them away and started it off on my pc at home so I have
at work
i5 3470S CPU, 8GB Ram, no GPU (2 of these)
Ryzen 7 1700x CPU, 32gb Ram and GTX 1060 3GB GPU
i5 4690 CPU, 8GB Ram, no GPU
i5 6500 CPU, 16GB Ram, no GPU
at home
i7 6700 CPU, 32GB Ram and RTX2070

I know graphics processors are more efficient, but I figured every little helps and it's better than them sitting doing nothing, it still totals 36 (logical) cores.

This site explains it pretty well
How to Fight Coronavirus With Folding@home and a Gaming PC
and this is the official site
Covid19 – Folding@home

I am setting up an archery range in the back garden again. I also want to level one side of it up so I need several tons of soil. I'm not sure if the exercise / read a book bit was some sort of a slur or if I am becoming too thin skinned. I exercise almost every day and am a voracious reader.
What bow do you shoot ouro?Are you a member of a local club?

I'm sick of it now like. Sitting on the settee with the laptop every day is so dull and can't be doing much for my back. Really lost all enthusiasm this week.

I’d normally work 3-4 days a week from home and go in the office one day a week before this lockdown, but doing the complete opposite now, 4 days in office, Friday at home. Kids getting under my feet are doing my head in, can’t get anything done.

The novelty has well and truly worn off with me too, I’ve managed to squeeze the odd site visit and trip to the office in but even so it’s still like Groundhog Day.

What bow do you shoot ouro?Are you a member of a local club?
No, I planned to join Cleadon archers some time ago but found them very snotty.

Me and the Mrs. enter daily archery competitions when we are on holiday (she's not bad), so after we bought a house with a huge garden last year our daughter bought us an archery set. The bow ain't the best so if I start using it more regularly I might buy a new bow. I use a traditional recurve, our kid has a compound and it is far too powerful even at 40 meters. Goes completely through the butt.

No, I planned to join Cleadon archers some time ago but found them very snotty.

Me and the Mrs. enter daily archery competitions when we are on holiday (she's not bad), so after we bought a house with a huge garden last year our daughter bought us an archery set. The bow ain't the best so if I start using it more regularly I might buy a new bow. I use a traditional recurve, our kid has a compound and it is far too powerful even at 40 meters. Goes completely through the butt.
I shoot compound, recurve is a lot harder and requires more skill than my bow which has all of the bells and whistles.

I mostly worked from home from 2011 till 2017, didn't bother me that much, the odd couple of weeks a year in the office was about it.
Skip forward and I've been wfh since end of Feb and I'm losing my mind - also this chair isn't as comfortable as I thought it was.

I shoot compound, recurve is a lot harder and requires more skill than my bow which has all of the bells and whistles.

It's the odd 'outlier' that frustrates me. I can put 5 into an area the size of a dinner plate then the 6th will go in the white or miss the target completely. If I buy a new bow and stick with it I reckon I could eliminate that. I hope.

It's the odd 'outlier' that frustrates me. I can put 5 into an area the size of a dinner plate then the 6th will go in the white or miss the target completely. If I buy a new bow and stick with it I reckon I could eliminate that. I hope.
The eternal quest for accuracy, I have never met a stick and string bowman yet who isn't pursuing a tighter group,myself included 🤣

Anyone else new to this and facing it for the first time?

First full day for me on Monday. Did a day a month or so back when I worked from home either side of a funeral but had some work that did not depend on logging in and video conferencing etc. I am used to the odd weekend or week night marking up plans on my kitchen bar when I have had to put a few extra hours in over the years (I work in engineering design) but this is completely different. We have all the kit and software so should be OK its just a big change in routine and difficult to get your head round it.
Have WFH on and off for the last 10 years, albeit only more seriously the last 4 or 5 years. It used to be a case of monitoring emails whilst watching SSN but now I'm doing far longer days than I would in the office. I usually WFH 2 days a week and up in Edinburgh Office 3 days, but 5 days a week is taking its toll. No volume of video calls can make up for the general craic in the office. At least I'm lucky that my job can be done 100% remotely

Back