Home made wine

I've had my barrel etc all soaking with Campden tablets in overnight so should be clean. I'm doing it because I get that much fruit I don't know what to do with it. I grow practically every fruit I can and usually watch it rot.

I do apologise but it's not exactly the first time a thread had been duplicated is it ;). I did look on the first few pages tbf.
Some very clever brewers on here

Yes mate. I've got Apple, pear and plum trees, gooseberries, raspberries, blackberries, black, white and red currents etc. 90% rots or the birds get them. I thought I do something with them :D
Happy days mate. Give me a shout if ya need a hand building anything and il take some fruit as payment. ;)

I know that this might seem "picky" but for a couple of thousand years now people have usually made wine from grapes.

Just an observation.

I know that this might seem "picky" but for a couple of thousand years now people have usually made wine from grapes.

Just an observation.
Don't grow so well in large quantities domestically :lol:

In fairness I make a reasonable wine from cartons of supermarket grape juice.

Don't grow so well in large quantities domestically :lol:

In fairness I make a reasonable wine from cartons of supermarket grape juice.
I had a little place in Devon near where they produced an excellent dry white. It didn't have that crude "English" after taste that you often get and it sold really well even to the Houses of Parliament.
The couple who owned the vineyard hired a contractor to spray the vines one year and tragically the idiot poisoned everyone of them . Twenty five yesrs of work went in one afternoon. They were insured but being more used to paying out on damaged fields of spuds the insurance companay really gave them a hard time when the loss of the vineyard was valued It took the couple years to get their compensation and they were so traumatised by the whole thing they packed in the wine producing businness altogether.
It was a real loss I haven't found an English wine that was as good as their's since.

I had a little place in Devon near where they produced an excellent dry white. It didn't have that crude "English" after taste that you often get and it sold really well even to the Houses of Parliament.
The couple who owned the vineyard hired a contractor to spray the vines one year and tragically the idiot poisoned everyone of them . Twenty five yesrs of work went in one afternoon. They were insured but being more used to paying out on damaged fields of spuds the insurance companay really gave them a hard time when the loss of the vineyard was valued It took the couple years to get their compensation and they were so traumatised by the whole thing they packed in the wine producing businness altogether.
It was a real loss I haven't found an English wine that was as good as their's since.
Tragic that like. To be honest I would love the growing climate down that way like. I could easily do the river cottage thing. Self sufficiency is a thing of the past now but would be nice to at least get a couple of meals a week fresh from your small holding. I just watched Australian river cottage from the beginning and it was a great watch. Fermenting beer outside!!! Class.

Tragic that like. To be honest I would love the growing climate down that way like. I could easily do the river cottage thing. Self sufficiency is a thing of the past now but would be nice to at least get a couple of meals a week fresh from your small holding. I just watched Australian river cottage from the beginning and it was a great watch. Fermenting beer outside!!! Class.
It was tragic. The wine was produced in an old water mill with the vines running up the slope of the very steep and narrow valley that contained the little river that had powered the mill. It was a picture in itself.
The weather could be very wet being in the West but you didn't get harsh frosts or what we would call snow more than once a decade.

It was tragic. The wine was produced in an old water mill with the vines running up the slope of the very steep and narrow valley that contained the little river that had powered the mill. It was a picture in itself.
The weather could be very wet being in the West but you didn't get harsh frosts or what we would call snow more than once a decade.
I was watching something the other day about a bloke in London growing vines under cover in his back yard totally organic he produces over a 150 bottles of red and gets £50-£75 a bottle for it, a very bohemian approach of producing as well. Buckets with manky tea towels laid over them after crushing with his feet.

I have 3 grape vines but not much of a harvest this time of year. I ended up with 40lbs of rhubarb and theres only so many crumbles i can eat :lol:
The wine shouldn't taste too much of rhubarb to be fair it will just be a hint. Like mentioned earlier I have used all types of fruit juice, my last quick one was, grape apple and pear mixed with grape and peach from Asda. Turned out canny very much like a Chardonnay.

Last edited:

Back