Home made wine

I'm making some for the first time. I've got loads of rhubarb so it's rhubarb wine.

Any good suggestions that anyone has made? I've heard elderflower is nice.

No idea, but if anyone wants any blackberries, my gardens at both sides of my house are absolutely infested with brambles. I've been fighting against them for 15 years but I just can't seem to get rid of them. Please, please for the love of everything good in life, won't someone please come and pull them all out in return for my yearly yield of blackberries.

What I meant was does it depend on the fruit/taste to make a wine strong? My very limited knowledge leads me to think it's all down to the yeast tolerance? Sorry if I sound confused 'I'm new to the brew'
Ah right well so am I. I think it's down to how much sugar is added to the live yeast during fermentation but I'm not sure if different fruit have an affect. I'm starting with rhubarb because I've got 4 large carrier bags full from my allotment.

Ah right well so am I. I think it's down to how much sugar is added to the live yeast during fermentation but I'm not sure if different fruit have an affect. I'm starting with rhubarb because I've got 4 large carrier bags full from my allotment.
Nice mate. Doesn't matter how much sugar you use pal the yeast will only take on board what it can. I.e. If you put loads of sugar in and use bread yeast you will end up with approx 8% alcohol and a very sweet wine as the yeast is not strong enough to turn the sugar to wine. Tbf trial and error. Good luck let me know how it goes

Nice mate. Doesn't matter how much sugar you use pal the yeast will only take on board what it can. I.e. If you put loads of sugar in and use bread yeast you will end up with approx 8% alcohol and a very sweet wine as the yeast is not strong enough to turn the sugar to wine. Tbf trial and error. Good luck let me know how it goes
I'm let to believe this happens if you put all the sugar in at once because too much makes the yeast go dormant. I'm looking for something with a medium sweetness but if it's crap all I've lost is a couple of bags of sugar.

I'm let to believe this happens if you put all the sugar in at once because too much makes the yeast go dormant. I'm looking for something with a medium sweetness but if it's crap all I've lost is a couple of bags of sugar.
Use yeast nutrition just to guarantee it. TBH it very rarely goes wrong, worst thing is it tastes shit, most times down to cleansing of equipment. Like you say worst case is you lose a kg of sugar. Plus you can find every single answer online. I had a rosè last year smelled of sweaty arse but tasted Devine. I've never known 10 bottles of wine last so long. :lol:
I don't drink the stuff like it's more for summer bbq's.

What I meant was does it depend on the fruit/taste to make a wine strong? My very limited knowledge leads me to think it's all down to the yeast tolerance? Sorry if I sound confused 'I'm new to the brew'
Depends on the sugar content of the fruit as well. I made a gallon of blackberry wine with 5kg of fruit and 1kg of sugar. I think it came out at about 16%.

Depends on the sugar content of the fruit as well. I made a gallon of blackberry wine with 5kg of fruit and 1kg of sugar. I think it came out at about 16%.
Did you use a liqueur yeast wilfy mate? The wine yeasts I use tend to have a max tolerance of 12.5%, I did a cherry liqueur last year and used the liqueur yeast and got it to 22%, mind you i had to add more sugar and yeast to keep it going. I want to do a 100% fruit wine soon no added sugar so I planted vines last year hopefully they will yield this year. Not looking likely up to now.

Meant to say, big tip, write everything down as you might get it somewhere near this year then you can tweak it for next year.

Did you use a liqueur yeast wilfy mate? The wine yeasts I use tend to have a max tolerance of 12.5%, I did a cherry liqueur last year and used the liqueur yeast and got it to 22%, mind you i had to add more sugar and yeast to keep it going. I want to do a 100% fruit wine soon no added sugar so I planted vines last year hopefully they will yield this year. Not looking likely up to now.

Meant to say, big tip, write everything down as you might get it somewhere near this year then you can tweak it for next year.
Just normal Young's wine yeast. I've never used the turbo yeast yet. What did the liqeuer end up like? Good luck with the vines, hopefully get a good summer for them.

Use yeast nutrition just to guarantee it. TBH it very rarely goes wrong, worst thing is it tastes shit, most times down to cleansing of equipment. Like you say worst case is you lose a kg of sugar. Plus you can find every single answer online. I had a rosè last year smelled of sweaty arse but tasted Devine. I've never known 10 bottles of wine last so long. :lol:
I don't drink the stuff like it's more for summer bbq's.
I've had my barrel etc all soaking with Campden tablets in overnight so should be clean. I'm doing it because I get that much fruit I don't know what to do with it. I grow practically every fruit I can and usually watch it rot.

There’s a 300+ pages thread on home brew on here iirc
I do apologise but it's not exactly the first time a thread had been duplicated is it ;). I did look on the first few pages tbf.

Last edited:
I've had my barrel etc all soaking with Campden tablets in overnight so should be clean. I'm doing it because I get that much fruit I don't know what to do with it. I grow practically every fruit I can and usually watch it rot.

I do apologise but it's not exactly the first time a thread had been duplicated is it ;). I did look on the first few pages tbf.
I use thin bleach from Morrisons for sterilising. 29p for two litres.

Just normal Young's wine yeast. I've never used the turbo yeast yet. What did the liqeuer end up like? Good luck with the vines, hopefully get a good summer for them.
I don't know really I only sipped it and it tasted fine and had a nice feel on the tongue. I gave it to a few family members just to get rid and they have asked for it this year, I just told them it was cherry brandy like.

I wish I could, do you have an allotment like?

Last edited:
I don't know really I only sipped it and it tasted fine and had a nice feel on the tongue. I gave it to a few family members just to get rid and they have asked for it this year, I just told them it was cherry brandy like.

I wish I could, do you have an allotment like?
Yes mate. I've got Apple, pear and plum trees, gooseberries, raspberries, blackberries, black, white and red currents etc. 90% rots or the birds get them. I thought I do something with them :D

Back