Home made wine

I have 3 grape vines but not much of a harvest this time of year. I ended up with 40lbs of rhubarb and theres only so many crumbles i can eat :lol:
I suppose that the other advantage of rhubarb wine is that it keeps you regular. :lol:

Having lived in that London for 40 years I have just moved to a part of the country where rhubarb grows as well as it does in the North East. I could never grow it in my garden in London but it used to grow like a weed in me mam's garden when I was a kid.
Rhubarb cumbles were great. but so was rhubarb fool and rhubarb and ginger jam.

I've made rhubarb wine very successfully for several years... Slicing and freezing it first gives a better result.
Add in some white grape juice or concentrate to add some tannins, but other than that, water, sugar, yeast and some acid blend. Enjoy !

It’s going on today mate. Been waiting for amylase to come as I ran out. I will let ya know how it goes.
Did you make your rice and raisin?

After I did the rhubarb I've made elderflower then blackcurrant. I'm going to set some raspberry wine away today with the bags of it I've got in the freezer.

I didn't realise how good the elderflower wine would taste. I'm trying to let it mature but it's difficult to leave it alone :lol:.

Did you make your rice and raisin?

After I did the rhubarb I've made elderflower then blackcurrant. I'm going to set some raspberry wine away today with the bags of it I've got in the freezer.

I didn't realise how good the elderflower wine would taste. I'm trying to let it mature but it's difficult to leave it alone :lol:.
I did and a gooseberry. Like you say hard to leave alone, mind the rice and raisin is rank. But been told to leave both now till next year. So I suppose when I do next years I will open them both then carry on. Got a red about ready to be bottled just made with grape juice (the last one looked like cherryade) but was gorgeous, the wine I’ve done tbf.
The niece is getting married next year and wants a rhubarb wine doing in the grolsh type litre bottles with fancy labels so I will have to get that sorted.
It’s the same when I go fishing people ask for fish then they want it filleting and skinning!!! I’m out now in our lasses back garden with a stout I did in the sunshine. Nowt better.

I did and a gooseberry. Like you say hard to leave alone, mind the rice and raisin is rank. But been told to leave both now till next year. So I suppose when I do next years I will open them both then carry on. Got a red about ready to be bottled just made with grape juice (the last one looked like cherryade) but was gorgeous, the wine I’ve done tbf.
The niece is getting married next year and wants a rhubarb wine doing in the grolsh type litre bottles with fancy labels so I will have to get that sorted.
It’s the same when I go fishing people ask for fish then they want it filleting and skinning!!! I’m out now in our lasses back garden with a stout I did in the sunshine. Nowt better.
I split my gooseberry plants and they've grown great but no fruit so will be next year.

Cheeky gits wanting the fish filleted. I bet they want you to take it round for them anarl :lol:

Kit stout or all grain?

First year batches made:
  • Rhubarb
  • Mixed berries
  • Elderflower
  • Rasberry
  • Blackcurrant
  • Blackberry
  • Damson
  • Apple and BlackBerry
  • Pumpkin
  • Elderberry
Some actually taste like proper wine :cool:

First year batches made:
  • Rhubarb
  • Mixed berries
  • Elderflower
  • Rasberry
  • Blackcurrant
  • Blackberry
  • Damson
  • Apple and BlackBerry
  • Pumpkin
  • Elderberry
Some actually taste like proper wine :cool:
Tried my damson wine from last November. It tasted like shit to be honest when I first made it. I've left it in my garage for almost a year and it tastes great now. Better than most red wines I've bought

Back