Holidays 2024

Of course another option would be to fly to Madrid and then take an internal flight to Seville or use the excellent Spanish high speed rail network.
That’s how we are doing Seville via BA and Iberia. Doubt it will go smoothly like but part of the fun
Will do Madrid the same way likely just missing the third leg. If we’d had more time we have stopped over in Madrid for a couple of nights

Last edited by a moderator:

That’s how we are doing Seville via BA and Iberia. Doubt it will go smoothly like but part of the fun

Madrid is a fairly easy airport to connect through. The only slight complication is that flights from the UK arrive and depart at the non-Schengen satellite terminal (T4S) so you will have to get the train to the main T4 for the connection. All well signposted though.

Madrid is a fairly easy airport to connect through. The only slight complication is that flights from the UK arrive and depart at the non-Schengen satellite terminal (T4S) so you will have to get the train to the main T4 for the connection. All well signposted though.
Oh the schengen to schengen flights are class, no luggage straight out

Can anyone recommend a good site for package holidays, tried jet2, tui, loveholidays and on the beach. Any obvious ones I’ve missed that are usually cheaper?

I've not used a package company in 12 year mate, we always book ourselves for the 4 of us and it's always cheaper
Thanks, We’ve done that before but it wasn’t coming out much cheaper this time round and the flight times (Ryan air) weren’t as good. Also struggle to find a AI hotel. Youngest is only 1 so want to avoid flying late/overnight.
Probably just ring hays if we can’t find anything else as they used to be able to take a bit off any price jet2 had for the same booking

Thanks, We’ve done that before but it wasn’t coming out much cheaper this time round and the flight times (Ryan air) weren’t as good. Also struggle to find a AI hotel. Youngest is only 1 so want to avoid flying late/overnight.
Probably just ring hays if we can’t find anything else as they used to be able to take a bit off any price jet2 had for the same booking
TBF we're lucky where we are we drove down to Croatia when the kids were small but we've been all over Europe for pennies the last few years you've just got to shop around

I've not used a package company in 12 year mate, we always book ourselves for the 4 of us and it's always cheaper

Not only is it usually cheaper to book DIY it also gives you a lot more choice and flexibility in terms of flights and accommodations and itinerary. A package holiday company will only offer a handful of hotels in each destination while booking direct you could stay anywhere. I also find doing the research and bookings myself to be half the fun. I wouldn't want anyone else to do it for me.

Same here, never use package companies. I travel Ryan Air, hand luggage only. Use air bnb, booking.com. Managed to save 70 quid by booking my hotel direct when I go to Ibiza next month.

I get Ubers when I land, managed 3 trips abroad last year, got 2 booked so far this year. It doesn’t need to cost a fortune to explore the world. My little lad is 5 and he already loves travelling.

Also managed to get some decent flight times where we’ve got the metro so no expensive parking either.

Not only is it usually cheaper to book DIY it also gives you a lot more choice and flexibility in terms of flights and accommodations and itinerary. A package holiday company will only offer a handful of hotels in each destination while booking direct you could stay anywhere. I also find doing the research and bookings myself to be half the fun. I wouldn't want anyone else to do it for me.
We take the fil now the mil passed so booked apartments etc is so much cheaper although we're very much July/aug restricted so f***ing murder. We tend to book when flights and digs come available. This year's for 5 will come it at 3k book now it's 5.5

Same here, never use package companies. I travel Ryan Air, hand luggage only. Use air bnb, booking.com. Managed to save 70 quid by booking my hotel direct when I go to Ibiza next month.

I get Ubers when I land, managed 3 trips abroad last year, got 2 booked so far this year. It doesn’t need to cost a fortune to explore the world. My little lad is 5 and he already loves travelling.

Also managed to get some decent flight times where we’ve got the metro so no expensive parking either.

Learning to travel hand luggage only is a game changer. Avoids airline costs, delays at airports, lost luggage and having to carry huge cases with you. Always funny to see people at airports flying to an AI holiday Benidorm with enough luggage to supply an arctic expedition.

If you get an apartment with a washing machine then you only need a few days worth of clothes and can travel indefinitely with just a carry-on bag.

Learning to travel hand luggage only is a game changer. Avoids airline costs, delays at airports, lost luggage and having to carry huge cases with you. Always funny to see people at airports flying to an AI holiday Benidorm with enough luggage to supply an arctic expedition.

If you get an apartment with a washing machine then you only need a few days worth of clothes and can travel indefinitely with just a carry-on bag.
Honestly I used to be horrific when I was younger. A 2 week holiday for me meant 14 pairs of shoes, and 2 outfit changes a day.

I mostly stay in air bnbs and they nearly always have a washing machine. Surprising how much you can get in your hand luggage bag.

Even better if your place of stay is close to the airport...why fork out say 60 euros when you get the local bus in?

Yeah.

Staying at AltoClub. Arrive early evening tomorrow, return on Tuesday. Game of golf on Monday.

Don't mind a bit of bad weather - it doesn't rain in a boozer.

On that note: Do you know if the Chill Out bar is open? One of the lads going runs his own boozer over here and wouldn't mind another crack on with Leonel - he'd just opened the last time we were over in 2020 (just before lockdown) and him and Leonel had a good chinwag.
Just seen Leonel answered a message on FB about bars been open 2weeks ago so it seems so.

Even better if your place of stay is close to the airport...why fork out say 60 euros when you get the local bus in?

Yes, cost and length of transfer at the other end is always an important consideration especially for a weekend away. Plenty of European airports where you can get into the city centre on the bus/metro for a couple of Euros. Worst thing about Turkey resorts are the long transfers.

Yes, cost and length of transfer at the other end is always an important consideration especially for a weekend away. Plenty of European airports where you can get into the city centre on the bus/metro for a couple of Euros. Worst thing about Turkey resorts are the long transfers.
Not for me. I’m out. I wouldn’t stay next to an airport. Part of the trip is to emerge the culture not aviation fuel

Not for me. I’m out. I wouldn’t stay next to an airport. Part of the trip is to emerge the culture not aviation fuel

I didn't mean stay next to the airport rather consider flying to proper airports rather than Ryanair aerodromes in the middle of nowhere which then take you 2 hours on a bus to get to your final destination. Fly into Malaga and you are only 10 minutes and 3 stops on the Metro to the city centre. From landing to beer in hand in less than an hour.

Back