Holidays 2024

Yeah.

Staying at AltoClub. Arrive early evening tomorrow, return on Tuesday. Game of golf on Monday.

Don't mind a bit of bad weather - it doesn't rain in a boozer.

On that note: Do you know if the Chill Out bar is open? One of the lads going runs his own boozer over here and wouldn't mind another crack on with Leonel - he'd just opened the last time we were over in 2020 (just before lockdown) and him and Leonel had a good chinwag.
no idea, never been for a drink in alvor so don't know the bars. tbh, i've just been for a walk along the beach (which is superb as you'll know) and to get lost driving round the streets :)

Just booked a cheeky weekend in Madrid for April. Been there a few times before and it's one of my favourite cities in Europe. Staying further out of the centre this time as hotel prices seem to have shot up but it's easy to get around on the Metro so no real problem.

Just booked a cheeky weekend in Madrid for April. Been there a few times before and it's one of my favourite cities in Europe. Staying further out of the centre this time as hotel prices seem to have shot up but it's easy to get around on the Metro so no real problem.
Cracking city, mate. I'm off to Seville in four weeks. I'm looking forward to 75 degrees.

Cracking city, mate. I'm off to Seville in four weeks. I'm looking forward to 75 degrees.

Can't beat Spanish cities for a weekend of sunshine, food and drink. Seville in perfect in the spring time. Avoid in the summer though - even the locals leave town.

Can't beat Spanish cities for a weekend of sunshine, food and drink. Seville in perfect in the spring time. Avoid in the summer though - even the locals leave town.
Back in September. Love the city

I’ve not been to Madrid. So gonna do some research

@Darlo1973 what’s your flight route?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in September. Love the city

I’ve not been to Madrid. So gonna do some research

@Darlo1973 what’s your flight route?

Flying from Gatwick. I'm closer to Stansted but LGW is a much more civilised experience

Madrid, like, Seville, is best in spring or autumn as the summers get very hot. Both fantastic cities for getting lost while bar hopping in the backstreets.

Flying from Gatwick. I'm closer to Stansted but LGW is a much more civilised experience

Madrid, like, Seville, is best in spring or autumn as the summers get very hot. Both fantastic cities for getting lost while bar hopping in the backstreets.
I see. Thought you were up here! Our choice for Seville was either from Manchester or via Heathrow but was wondering how you were doing it form the north east but you’re not.

Fancy Madrid but like you say the weather is gonna push us back to October. September is gonna be warm enough in Seville especially as we are looking to travel around this time

I see. Thought you were up here! Our choice for Seville was either from Manchester or via Heathrow but was wondering how you were doing it form the north east but you’re not.

Fancy Madrid but like you say the weather is gonna push us back to October. September is gonna be warm enough in Seville especially as we are looking to travel around this time

One of the advantages of living down south is a better choice of airports and destinations (though I'd rather swim the Channel than use Luton). Newcastle really is poorly served for direct flights through connecting through Amsterdam or going up to Edinburgh can open up more options but with more hassle.

One of the advantages of living down south is a better choice of airports and destinations (though I'd rather swim the Channel than use Luton). Newcastle really is poorly served for direct flights through connecting through Amsterdam or going up to Edinburgh can open up more options but with more hassle.
We normally go via Heathrow first thing or stay over the night before

Liverpool is decent for Madrid, couple of hour drive.

Stansted is brilliant for weekend break flights but it's hands down the worst airport in the UK

Liverpool is decent for Madrid, couple of hour drive.

Stansted is brilliant for weekend break flights but it's hands down the worst airport in the UK

I can just about tolerate Stansted but Luton is far worse. I used to have to fly through LTN on a weekly basis with work and it was always a miserable experience.

We drove to Edinburgh to fly to Madrid. Flying to Seville from Gatwick. We are taking the bus from here to Gatwick. Having done Salou on the bus Gatwick is a p of p.

I can just about tolerate Stansted but Luton is far worse. I used to have to fly through LTN on a weekly basis with work and it was always a miserable experience.
I've 3 flights through Stansted, 2 Berlin, 1 Frankfurt, 2 Vienna and 2 Manchester in the next 2 weeks -i guarantee Stansted will be the nightmares

We drove to Edinburgh to fly to Madrid. Flying to Seville from Gatwick. We are taking the bus from here to Gatwick. Having done Salou on the bus Gatwick is a p of p.

Of course another option would be to fly to Madrid and then take an internal flight to Seville or use the excellent Spanish high speed rail network.

Of course another option would be to fly to Madrid and then take an internal flight to Seville or use the excellent Spanish high speed rail network.
Initially, I wanted to stay in London overnight and take in a show but wifey complained about "wasting money" (even though I was paying the extra). As ever with women, you can't win :D

Back