Holidaying abroad this year

Fuming 😡 So we are only just over 3 weeks since it went green, it would be interesting to see what % of the people returning have tested positive to warrant such a move. And dont get me started about the 12000 fans allowed to go to Portugal for the champions league final, when it could have been held in the UK.

We're £4.5K down.

Plus all the time and effort wasted organising tests etc. Can't now afford to go away this year at this moment in time.

Feel like spewing - can't understand the decision at all. Feels like this is political rather than based on any data as the figures coming out of Portugal don't seem to warrant it at all.
The shit they spouting now about worrying a variant May mutate . Absolute bollocks , rewlly needs challenging this

What I want to know is what happened to the Green List 'watch list - where they were supposedly going to tell us with two weeks notice that a 'Green List' country was under review? You would then get another week's grace to avoid the mad rush to get home like last year.

They're talking about Tuesday ffs.
Aye I’d forgot about that, was meant to be a 2 week warning..

seems they can do what they want.

we’ve not lost as much as you but I’m gutted nonetheless. Why even bother with lists anyway, just got people’s hopes up. Would rather they just said no international travel this year instead of f***ing about like this.. clowns.

This will never end.
I never expected a full roll back of restrictions in June.
Is there a hidden agenda ? Save the planet, cut carbon emissions.
If there is no hidden agenda then I simply can not understand the reasoning behind the possibility of continued restrictions. The vast majority of the population will have been vaccinated by June 21.
God help us.
There will always be a variant.
There will always be an excuse.

Last edited:
I warned folks before even before CV and again several months ago,this govt will do everything in its power to keep folks in the UK to support the UK economy and get one over on johnny foreigner. 🇬🇧

I warned folks before even before CV and again several months ago,this govt will do everything in its power to keep folks in the UK to support the UK economy and get one over on johnny foreigner. 🇬🇧

I can pretty much deal with a summer stuck in England “supporting the economy”, as long as the fuckwits in charge don’t extend current stage restrictions beyond 21 June for no good reason and ruin anything that might even be remotely fun (or profitable to the taxman ) like music festivals, sports events etc.

Aye I’d forgot about that, was meant to be a 2 week warning..

seems they can do what they want.

we’ve not lost as much as you but I’m gutted nonetheless. Why even bother with lists anyway, just got people’s hopes up. Would rather they just said no international travel this year instead of f***ing about like this.. clowns.

I cannot for the life of me understand the point of a two week warning. Even if one was promised.

A virus doesn’t give a warning ...or heed one.

I agree, however, with your second point, but from a different perspective. Millions of us thought “... you know what? The situation is unpredictable. Regardless of what governments and scientists say, things can change quickly. I’ll take a holiday in the Uk if I can ...and I’ll book something that is refundable if at all possible. There’s a risk that if I go abroad I could, at worst, be infected or I could end up having a holiday cut short or a sudden requirement to quarantine .... whatever the government says and whatever the ‘list’ is”.

And we based this in 18 months ish of experience of these things. I would hope that anybody flying abroad for a holiday would realise the the situation is volatile and can change rapidly and booked with a full recognition that this could happen. I say again; regardless of what the government says.

The whole thing is utterly predictable. And it’ll happen again. Sad

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot for the life of me understand the point of a two week warning. Even if one was promised.

A virus doesn’t give a warning ...or heed one.

I agree, however, with your second point, but from a different perspective. Millions of us thought “... you know what? The situation is unpredictable. Regardless of what governments and scientists say, things can change quickly. I’ll take a holiday in the Uk if I can ...and I’ll book something that is refundable if at all possible. There’s a risk that if I go abroad I could, at worst, be infected or I could end up having a holiday cut short or a sudden requirement to quarantine .... whatever the government says and whatever the ‘list’ is”.

And we based this in 18 months ish of experience of these things. I would hope that anybody flying abroad for a holiday would realise the the situation is volatile and can change rapidly and booked with a full recognition that this could happen. I say again; regardless of what the government says.

The whole thing is utterly predictable. And it’ll happen again. Sad
The 2 week thing was intended so people didn’t have a mad scramble to get home like happened last year. Yes I think we all booked knowing the risks and many took precautions when booking but things like pcr tests may be non refundable .

the fact Portugal has only been active on a green list for three weeks makes me wonder why it was ever there if this is not a political decision..

The point you agreed with ( I think) is why have a list at all. Instead of moving the goalposts from the supposed irreversible lifting of restrictions. There will have been people flew to Portugal today who may not be able to isolate on return. How is that fair, if two weeks ago the government had said we are reviewing Portugal’s inclusion on the green list then you’re right people had a choice to make. But they didn’t..

as for the virus not giving a warning. I agree. But has any reason been mentioned as to why this decision was made? I looked at the numbers of cases from April 28th until yesterday. Cases up by <150 in a month. Isn’t that what everyone was expecting to happen as restrictions were eased??? There just seems no real reason for it to me.

yes we all knew the risks and we took them on info in the public domain. If you’re happy with a holiday in the uk then crack on, each to their own. Personally don’t want to pay double the price to spend a fortnight in the rain paying over the odds for stuff..

Be honest whether you’ve been a smarty pants or not, and booked something in this country, this is a political decision and it’s wrong..

Why? Loads of folk went away last Yr (I went to Italy) with no worries.
Not inevitable at all.

Aye same here, we went to Italy too, booked at a week’s notice. Albeit without the need to test at all, there or on the way back. Was there any indications Portugal was going to come off the list this time last week?

Ive rolled over two 2020 trips into 2022 like, avoiding the fuck out of this year as it seemed too fickle with the obsession around variants and the added caveat of testing both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I want to know is what happened to the Green List 'watch list - where they were supposedly going to tell us with two weeks notice that a 'Green List' country was under review? You would then get another week's grace to avoid the mad rush to get home like last year.

They're talking about Tuesday ffs.
Everyone on here has sympathy with you. No one is taking any pleasure in your situation.

Got to write it off - four of the group can't afford to self-isolate on return for work reasons.

£720 worth of now useless Covid tests purchased, £1300 worth of flights that we 'might' get vouchers for - no chance of a refund - and no idea when we'll be able to ever use them. £1000 non-refundable deposit for the villa. Mrs. has just been this morning to get €1500 of now useless spending money.

All of it booked in 2019 before any of this sh!t happened and rolled forward from last year, yet some smug c@nts can't resist the 'shouldn't have booked in a pandemic' comments. Wankers.

Brutal amount of money that. My sympathies mate.

What about those who are already there? Are they exempt? They arrived when it was on the green list.
Nope.

They now have to quarantine for 10 days on return, despite the promise of a 2-week warning to prevent this very thing from happening again.

Also, their Day 2 testing kits to be used after returning are now obsolete as they'll now need a Day 2 and 8 testing kit.

Guess what? You can't buy a Day 8 test on its own - you can only buy a Day 2 on its own or a Day 2 and 8 as a package. Means they'll have to shell out for another set of tests on return and essentially write-off the cost of the original Day 2 test.

F@cking joke!

We're £4.5K down.

Plus all the time and effort wasted organising tests etc. Can't now afford to go away this year at this moment in time.

Feel like spewing - can't understand the decision at all. Feels like this is political rather than based on any data as the figures coming out of Portugal don't seem to warrant it at all.

of course its political no other reason honestly i despise this f***ing goverment there all smug as fook i would love to be in a room with the c...ts

Back