Holidaying abroad this year

No. Why are they all still on the green list?

I see that Spain and some of the Islands of Greece could be added so it isn't all bad. Spain is my main destination of choice. I have dreamed since I met my lass of going to see the places she has.

It’s f***ing simple as the green list is not about where u can go as u can go wherever you want as long as the country you wish to go to will accept you, no all the green list means is that you can enter the U.K. without having to isolate nothing more nothing less

I've cancelled our Norway holiday next month. The flights are refundable and the accommodation was pay on arrival with no cancellation penalties so I haven't lost any money.

Norway haven't decided if they're allowing people in or not and our country still has Norway on the amber list. I've been unwell lately and I'm currently half way through a strong course of steroids which make me more susceptible to catching Covid. I was a quite worried about going on four plane journeys (travelling via Amsterdam), travelling internally by train and staying in hostels.

Booked a farm croft in Orkney instead. I feel happier driving there and staying our own self contained home. Most of the things we want to see are outside and it just feels safer overall to do that.

I've cancelled our Norway holiday next month. The flights are refundable and the accommodation was pay on arrival with no cancellation penalties so I haven't lost any money.

Norway haven't decided if they're allowing people in or not and our country still has Norway on the amber list. I've been unwell lately and I'm currently half way through a strong course of steroids which make me more susceptible to catching Covid. I was a quite worried about going on four plane journeys (travelling via Amsterdam), travelling internally by train and staying in hostels.

Booked a farm croft in Orkney instead. I feel happier driving there and staying our own self contained home. Most of the things we want to see are outside and it just feels safer overall to do that.

Driving to Orkney? 🤔

After the latest round of travel list updates there's no way anything is going to be added.

At some point they need to allow for travel to see family. I'm not sure for how much longer they can keep families apart.

You can travel to see family right now, assuming your destination is accepting UK travellers. If it's amber or red listed then you've got to jump through the hoops, testing, isolation period on return etc but there's no legal impediment to prevent you from going there and hasn't been since May. Even if it's an amber listed destination you don't even have to fill out the declaration form giving the reason for travel anymore. If a flight's available, you can go. It's not an ideal set up, in fact far from it but it's possible.

No. Why are they all still on the green list?

I see that Spain and some of the Islands of Greece could be added so it isn't all bad. Spain is my main destination of choice. I have dreamed since I met my lass of going to see the places she has.
The British government say they are safe - doesn't mean they want tourists though

You can travel to see family right now, assuming your destination is accepting UK travellers. If it's amber or red listed then you've got to jump through the hoops, testing, isolation period on return etc but there's no legal impediment to prevent you from going there and hasn't been since May. Even if it's an amber listed destination you don't even have to fill out the declaration form giving the reason for travel anymore. If a flight's available, you can go. It's not an ideal set up, in fact far from it but it's possible.
I know what you're saying but logistically it's almost impossible with certain employment situations.

Being fully vaccinated and having a pcr test is allowing you a lot less freedom to travel than I though it would've done. I'm saying this on the assumption that there will be no movement onto the 'green list' for any countries for quite some time yet.

So why have amber then. People think they can just fuck off over there and isolate upon their return and nowts the bother. If they didn't think they had that option we wouldn't have a problem
Some people need to travel for essential reasons and for amber countries they can isolate at home when they get back instead of having to fork out £1500 for hotels etc.

Exactly this. My Brother in Law is f***ing off to Kos next week and taking his 16 year old daughter. His attitude is it's fine it's on the amber list, we will just isolate when we get back. The government needs to kick the amber list into touch and use the red for essential stuff
The in-laws are here today, first time in 6 month (I've fucked off out the way still) they can travel here and go home no restrictions yet we would need to quarantine and do tests to go there and come back 😂 it's not just the UK that's lost the plot mate it seems no where has a clue

You doing it all in one go mate? I stopped off for the night in granton on spey on the way up and back down.. nice little place. It’s a hefty journey to do in one spell mind..

The ferry times are 12pm or 7pm on our arrival day. I'm going to drive to Inverness the day before and stop over there, then drive up for the 12pm ferry. That'll get us to the accommodation in the afternoon rather than late evening, so we can get food shopping and get settled in etc.

Coming back, there's a ferry at 9am. I was planning on getting that one, then having a long break at Loch Leven near Kinross. A leisurely picnic and a sit on the loch side will break the journey up. I did that when we went to Fort William with a long break at Loch Lomond and it worked well.

The ferry times are 12pm or 7pm on our arrival day. I'm going to drive to Inverness the day before and stop over there, then drive up for the 12pm ferry. That'll get us to the accommodation in the afternoon rather than late evening, so we can get food shopping and get settled in etc.

Coming back, there's a ferry at 9am. I was planning on getting that one, then having a long break at Loch Leven near Kinross. A leisurely picnic and a sit on the loch side will break the journey up. I did that when we went to Fort William with a long break at Loch Lomond and it worked well.
Nice one, it’s a lovely place like.. don’t mistake the flag for a Norway flag tho.. one local took a real dim view with it.. easy enough mistake to make I thought. Enjoy mate.

Back