Hills - what’s the point?

I hate hills. You walk all the way up only to have to come all the way down. Hills are are a complete waste of time and energy.

The Dutch have got his sussed. I’ve been to the Netherlands and it was great.

Today I was in North Yorkshire and there was loads of stupid pointless hills.

All my life I’ve had family holiday in either the Lake District, Highlands or Yorkshire Dales. Hills and mountains have always been in my life in holidays. I just want for once to experience something different and unique. That’s why I loved Rome. That’s why I even loved Jersey.

You loved delivering that Hovis up those hills, that ride down on your bike would never be the same without those hills.

Always found it ironic that the hill from that advert is down South

Sheffield and Halifax have them in every direction.

There's a few northern footy grounds in the valley bottom with hills all around. Huddersfield and both Sheffield teams being good examples.

Always found it ironic that the hill from that advert is down South

Sheffield and Halifax have them in every direction.

There's a few northern footy grounds in the valley bottom with hills all around. Huddersfield and both Sheffield teams being good examples.

I love the Northern Grounds.

I thought a hill had to be under 2,000ft. Remember that bloke who went up a hill and came down a mountain.
I always thought that the standard that made a "hill" a mountain was an elevation 3,000 feet (near enough 1,000 metres). However I have since discovered that there is no agreed international standard in use that defines what is a hill and what a mountain must be

Thoughout the world hills and mountains are therefore what people say they are. Of course there is universal agreement that some geographical freatures obviously rate as mountains because they are huge - like the Alps and the Himalayas. However although we might modestly refer to our own Pennines & Cheviots as "hills" there are certainly those from abroad who would have absolutely no trouble in regarding them a mountains.

I remember once speaking to a Dutchman and remarking on how flat the Netherlands were. "Oh No" he insisted there were certainy mountains in the very east of the country. What he meant of course was that there were a few low lying hills

I hate hills. You walk all the way up only to have to come all the way down. Hills are are a complete waste of time and energy.

Didn’t you like Westgate hill?

I’ve no problem with hills.

I’ll add though - the strange English fascination with fields. Walking through fields, sitting in fields. You’ll drive past fields full of campervans. Camped up in a field for a good day of walking through fields.

Never understood it.

I ran a 15KM race in The Netherlands called ZevenHeuvelenLoop (Seven Hills Run) & it had 184 metres of elevation. Holland is pretty flat but other parts of the Netherlands can be quite hilly.

Back