Highway Code could be changed to protect cyclists...

Some dont deserve protection. I was sat at traffic lights on red last night. Cyclist came bombing down between 2 lines of traffic and straight through the red light whilst it was green for pedestrians. Circumnavigated the pedestrians and at that point noticed he was carrying a child on the back in one of those carrier seats. F****ng ar5ehole would be the first to complain if someone else went through a red and nearly hit him

sounds like an arsehole. not sure how that relates to the op though.

Good and bad road users on both sides.
Some shite drivers about that have absolutely no spatial awareness of others and also cyclists who take chances and flout the highway code rules.
Both are entitled to be on the roads though, so both must learn to be respectful of each other.

Both also need to be aware of horses - they have a right to use the road a well.

The Highway Code isn't the law

Correct, they are the rules of the road.

Last Friday i was sat at lights and they went to green so the car in front starts to move off and a f#cking cyclist riding along the path went straight over and got hit, he had the nerve to get up and complain about the damage to his bike!!
If a cyclist causes an accident are they liable for any damage they cause and are they under any obligation to stop and give their details like a driver is?

Why offer more protection to ar5eholes like this when they dont bother to acknowledge simple things like lines of traffic stopped at a red light (especially carrying a very small child on the back)
so we should ignore the increase in cyclists being killed, often through no fault of their own because you saw a cyclist run a red light.
canny logic there.

So when you’ve pulled over and your passenger is getting out, they have to check some f***ing idiot cyclist isn’t passing in the gutter? Is that right?
why wouldn't you look before opening a door?

so we should ignore the increase in cyclists being killed, often through no fault of their own because you saw a cyclist run a red light.
canny logic there.
Erm no but maybe if they made themselves less of a target by running red lights, jumping between pavement and road, flying down the inside of vehicles or just thinking that 2 wheels means they can get away with it then the figure may also not be as high. This applies similarly to drivers of vehicles too

And I now commute by cycling and I was sat at the red light on my bike

Erm no but maybe if they made themselves less of a target by running red lights, jumping between pavement and road, flying down the inside of vehicles or just thinking that 2 wheels means they can get away with it then the figure may also not be as high. This applies similarly to drivers of vehicles too

And I now commute by cycling and I was sat at the red light on my bike
That's exactly what you're saying man. Bad cyclists wind me up to, that doesn't change the fact that more are being killed, so need a bit more protection.

As a cyclist I'm sure you'll have witnessed many examples of bad driving too.

That's exactly what you're saying man. Bad cyclists wind me up to, that doesn't change the fact that more are being killed, so need a bit more protection.

As a cyclist I'm sure you'll have witnessed many examples of bad driving too.

Can you confirm the figures for cyclist deaths increasing though? All reports i can see from ROSPA et al say that fatalaties have reduced over recent years and cycling in the UK is one of the safest places in the Europe per billion miles cycled

Cycling UK's Cycling Statistics | Cycling UK
Point no 20 with data from government stats.

There's some bellends on bikes of course who run red lights but in my experience there's some absolute twats driving cars who have zero consideration for anyone else and don't give a shit about anything outside of the car they're driving. They're texting, phones to they're ear, pull out in front of others, speeding and generally a massive danger to others and they are the biggest problem on the road.

Whilst cyclists can be frustrating to us motorists, I hate being held up for 10 seconds, they are certainly more at risk from idiots in cars and so anything that affords them more protection is surely a good thing, even if it does add a few seconds to our journey.

So when you’ve pulled over and your passenger is getting out, they have to check some f***ing idiot cyclist isn’t passing in the gutter? Is that right?

How far away from the kerb are you when you pull over? You sound like a shit driver if there is room to get a bike down the inside.

Some dont deserve protection. I was sat at traffic lights on red last night. Cyclist came bombing down between 2 lines of traffic and straight through the red light whilst it was green for pedestrians. Circumnavigated the pedestrians and at that point noticed he was carrying a child on the back in one of those carrier seats. F****ng ar5ehole would be the first to complain if someone else went through a red and nearly hit him
Typical bike wanker .

Seeth levels from motorists man :D

The movement away from cars and onto bikes is well under way.....granted its no where near levels of other European City's like Amsterdam and Copenhagen. Spend a few days in places like that to see how modern day transport infrastructure should work. We've backed the wrong horse in terms of infrastructure for decades especially for shorter journey's in Towns/City's......thankfully we're slowly catching up.

I really dislike cyclists on the roads.
They just get in the way far too often, through no fault of their own.

Having to slow from 60 to 15mph until its safe to pass is a pain in the arse.

City centres is a another thing altogether mind, that's fine.

Back