Highway Code could be changed to protect cyclists...

Can you confirm the figures for cyclist deaths increasing though? All reports i can see from ROSPA et al say that fatalaties have reduced over recent years and cycling in the UK is one of the safest places in the Europe per billion miles cycled

Cycling UK's Cycling Statistics | Cycling UK
Point no 20 with data from government stats.
that goes up to 2016, the article states theres been a 5% rise in the last year. fuck them though, probable deserved in because you saw someone jump a red light.

You've seen more than one cyclist jump a red light, knock a pedestrian over, then carry on like nothing happened?
I have that on the news.
I have seen cyclists do what some drivers would get pelters for.
Cyclists seem to think that they are above such things, some do anyway. Just like some motorists.

I reckon I see more cyclists going through red lights than motorists (purely anecdotal evidence, of course). I have received a mouthful of abuse from one when I called him out for it - he should have known better - a middle aged bloke with all the right gear - lights, hi-viz, helmet (on his head, although it would be a reasonable description of him).

that goes up to 2016, the article states theres been a 5% rise in the last year. fuck them though, probable deserved in because you saw someone jump a red light.
Interesting conclusion.

In 2017 there were 101 fatalities involving cyclists. That represents a 1% drop compared to 2016. Its also a 9% drop compared to 2010-2014 as well.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...ported-road-casualties-annual-report-2017.pdf (page 7)

Whereabouts is this 5% rise you speak of?

Nearly hit a cyclist a couple of weeks ago.

Riding at dusk, no lights, dark clothing and riding like a bat out of hell.

Lucky I saw him and stopped.

Twat then decided to give me the finger.

Will run the **** down next time. ;)

It’s dissapointing as a cyclist myself as you can pick a set of lights up for as cheap as a tenner that could save your life.
Plenty of places if they have campaigns on will be giving lights and high vis stuff out for free.

I have a set myself for the few times I drag my fat arse out on a ride. Saying that I do stick to cycle paths, and don’t go on the road at all, as a large target, I’d be dead in seconds.

Should just ban cars from the road except on essential journeys only.

That would help make the roads safer for cyclists, lower emissions to slow down the greenhouse effect, and make the fat fucks walk which would help with the spiralling obesity problem and in turn they would eat less which would help solve world hunger.

:cool:

I have that on the news.
I've seen one instance of a cyclist running over a pedestrian on the news and he went to prison. Not exactly carrying on like nothing happened.

Seen many more instances of cyclists being knocked off bikes and ignored by careless drivers. Does that mean all drivers are bad?

I'm not a cyclist. I wouldn't bother cycling on the roads because it's bad enough in a car. Too many people think they own the roads in their car though. As a whole there's not enough respect for other road users of all kinds, never mind pedestrians.

You can blame the surgically attached mobile phone for the majority of that i suspect. Why would walking into a road while looking at your phone be dangerous?
Im not sure how you can legislate for that, maybe introduce Jay walking laws.

I cycle through the centre of york on my commute and its not just phones to blame here, people constantly step into traffic without looking and when you're in the cycle land and there's cars going passed you're doubly vulnerable.

Im not sure how you can legislate for that, maybe introduce Jay walking laws.

I cycle through the centre of york on my commute and its not just phones to blame here, people constantly step into traffic without looking and when you're in the cycle land and there's cars going passed you're doubly vulnerable.
York centre wasnt really built for sharing

Should just ban cars from the road except on essential journeys only.

That would help make the roads safer for cyclists, lower emissions to slow down the greenhouse effect, and make the fat fucks walk which would help with the spiralling obesity problem and in turn they would eat less which would help solve world hunger.

:cool:
Reported

Highway Code to promote 'Dutch reach' to protect cyclists

Also being mooted that cyclists will get priority over cars at junctions.

Interesting to see that pedestrian fatalities rose 5% in 2017. As both a cyclist and a driver that's easy to see why - idiots walking straight out gawping at their phones or oblivious to the outside world because of headphones, or of course the presumption that bicycle or car has a stopping distance of zero.

Get them on the f***ing path

Back