Hiding price rises by cutting quantities

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not though is it? It's a smaller product for the same price. The alternative is keeping the same size but the price would keep going up due to inflation - and then everyone would complain about that...

That's why I thought would be fair to compare the bigger tins with the average hourly wage at the time.

I give you Kleenex.

100 tissues in a box a few years ago. Then they trimmed the size of the box, supposedly to help the environment. A little later they cut the contents to 80. Now there are 72 per box.

So, a 28% cut. Inflation is back up but things like this won’t be included or even noticed. It also explains why we keep running out.

Any others?
Not sure how the government measures this re inflation
If it does it would be about 20%
Mars bars smaller
Toffee crisps don't get me started

That's why I thought would be fair to compare the bigger tins with the average hourly wage at the time.

I couldn't find the data on Quality Street but if you take the Big Mac , it cost 45p in 1974 when the average wage was around £50 - so 0.o9%. Now it costs 3.19 and average weekly wage is c.£550 so 0.58%.

Its axiomatic we are generally better off/things cost less in real terms today then we were then, look at how much stuff is in your house compared to those days, how many people have cars, holidays, Christmas and birthday presents, weddings etc. etc..

Adjusted for inflation the 1974 Big Mac would cost £4.90 today.

Last edited by a moderator:
People are fat because they over-eat and are under-active compared to previous generations, not because of what they eat (or what the food contains.) Nobody gave a toss about sugar when we all had active jobs, and they lived longer than we do.

The invention of the desk job started it, the increase in portion sizes put the final nail in the coffin. It's unbelievable how much food is served for one person when you eat out, nobody needs that much food in one sitting.

True, but people don't go to eat out to get what they require, they go out to enjoy food. A major part of that to most people is finishing a meal feeling sated. This is why I could never get the nouveau cuisine arty-farty pretty plates of food thing. I'd rather have a plate of wonderful panackelty made with say, venison, that a teeny lamb cutlet with a swizzle of some cranberry jus and a couple of runner beans arranged in a nice pattern on my plate.

Masterchef gives me a good giggle mind. Two ounces of seared cod fillet balanced on a slice of sauteed spud with some capers and one CC of radish puree beside it? Bugger off Man!

Toblerones.................I'll say no more on the subject

Mars Bars likewise.

Don't think that one's true mind.

When I was a youngun I seem to remember most decent beers were around the 3.5% - 4.0% range. Seems like the majority are upwards of 4.5% now

The famous Newkie Broon used to be around 6.2%. Now it's 4.7 ffs. No longer a choice for the headbanger. Damn!!

Last edited:
I couldn't find the data on Quality Street but if you take the Big Mac , it cost 45p in 1974 when the average wage was around £50 - so 0.o9%. Now it costs 3.19 and average weekly wage is c.£550 so 0.58%.

Its axiomatic we are generally better off/things cost less in real terms today then we were then, look at how much stuff is in your house compared to those days, how many people have cars, holidays, Christmas and birthday presents, weddings etc. etc..

Adjusted for inflation the 1974 Big Mac would cost £4.90 today.

A match day ticket would cost less than a fiver, a beer less than two quid and your average bus journey 50p if 1974 prices only increased by inflation.

FWIW I think we're only delaying larger inflationary increases. How long before people get fed up with the 3 Rolos in a pack or the one-bite Mars bar?

Anyhow, I know this might sound a bit paranoid but I'm convinced this shrinkflation is spreading to the clothing sector. I'm quite tall and any shirt/t shirt I buy from Next seems to be a centimetre or two shorter each year. It'll not be long before I'm wearing 80's-esque Madonna style crop tops.

A match day ticket would cost less than a fiver, a beer less than two quid and your average bus journey 50p if 1974 prices only increased by inflation.

FWIW I think we're only delaying larger inflationary increases. How long before people get fed up with the 3 Rolos in a pack or the one-bite Mars bar?

Anyhow, I know this might sound a bit paranoid but I'm convinced this shrinkflation is spreading to the clothing sector. I'm quite tall and any shirt/t shirt I buy from Next seems to be a centimetre or two shorter each year. It'll not be long before I'm wearing 80's-esque Madonna style crop tops.

Well at least there is something for us all to look forward to amid the gloom and despondency...

Mwahahaha!!!!! all these small portions and big profits mean my dividend will be huge! Read it and weep paupers, and my Swiss bank account safety deposit box is full of proper full sized nazi gold bars. Merry Christmas peasants

Masterchef gives me a good giggle mind. Two ounces of seared cod fillet balanced on a slice of sauteed spud with some capers and one CC of radish puree beside it? Bugger off Man!

I said this to the missus last night. Masterchef semi final of whatever it was last night, and I genuinely would rather eat a mountain of food from a good chippy than the nouvelle cuisine bollocks the professional chef served up that would be inhaled in about 30 seconds max.

Colman's sauces such as mint, apple, cranberry appear to have halved in size over the past week yet retained the price.

Stella is one that really comes to mind though, as already mentioned.
Used to get 24 x 330ml bottles at 5.2% for a tenna, now it's 12 x 284ml bottles at 4.8% for £12

The one that really does my head in is decreased sugar or sugar tax. I can count on one hand the number of cokes or Pepsi’s I have a year. But because some fat ***** can’t help themselves, whenever I fancy one now I might have to pay more in sugar tax? Fuck off.

Fruit pastilles advertising 40% reduced sugar. Same thing. I rarely have sweets, but when I do now I have to have shit reduced sugar tasting shite because some filth bag can’t control themselves and gets diabetes. Don’t think so buddy. Modern day society is scum and it’s going down the tubes fast.

The one that really does my head in is decreased sugar or sugar tax. I can count on one hand the number of cokes or Pepsi’s I have a year. But because some fat ***** can’t help themselves, whenever I fancy one now I might have to pay more in sugar tax? Fuck off.

Fruit pastilles advertising 40% reduced sugar. Same thing. I rarely have sweets, but when I do now I have to have shit reduced sugar tasting shite because some filth bag can’t control themselves and gets diabetes. Don’t think so buddy. Modern day society is scum and it’s going down the tubes fast.

:lol: Perhaps they should install scales for shoppers at the checkout then if you come up as obese you get hit with the tax but if you are of a svelte, gazelle like form you don't?? ;)Obviously they don't need to do this up the road and can just charge them all, the fat fuckers!!

:lol: Perhaps they should install scales for shoppers at the checkout then if you come up as obese you get hit with the tax but if you are of a svelte, gazelle like form you don't?? ;)Obviously they don't need to do this up the road and can just charge them all, the fat fuckers!!

Imagine trying to walk by a shop though. All the kids will be pestering you to buy them fags and booze, and all the fatties asking you to go and get them sugar tax coke.

On a related note, I’ve noticed Costa, Five Guys and the likes are manipulating / tricking us to buy bigger and spend more.

I was in Five Guys last night (nee pics) and their small chips are called little and are £2.25 where as medium chips are called regular and are about £4.75 so when you ask for a regular chips (which to me is a small portion) you’re actually getting a huge portion at nearly a fiver a pop. I stood my ground and got a refund on the extra.

Costa do it with small/regular etc.

I wasn’t paying but it was the principle.

On a related note, I’ve noticed Costa, Five Guys and the likes are manipulating / tricking us to buy bigger and spend more.

I was in Five Guys last night (nee pics) and their small chips are called little and are £2.25 where as medium chips are called regular and are about £4.75 so when you ask for a regular chips (which to me is a small portion) you’re actually getting a huge portion at nearly a fiver a pop. I stood my ground and got a refund on the extra.

Costa do it with small/regular etc.

I wasn’t paying but it was the principle.

Fiver for chips:eek:

My local chippy, a large portion is £1.50 and the portion is huge. Normally just get the one between the 2 of us as even the smaller portions (£1.20) are too much for me.

If you can count on one hand the amount of times per year you have a Coke, then the sugar tax will cost you pennies over a year.

Give over and stop going on like a tart.

If you can count on one hand the amount of times per year you have a Coke, then the sugar tax will cost you pennies over a year.

Give over and stop going on like a tart.
The actual amount isn’t irrelevant. Why should responsible people pay even a penny more because some people can’t control themselves? I’m not talking about people carrying a few extra pounds - we’ve all been there a few times in our lifetime - but this is people who are just plain f***ing greedy. 18, 19, 20 stone. That’s f***ing mental is that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back