Hiding price rises by cutting quantities

I give you Kleenex.

100 tissues in a box a few years ago. Then they trimmed the size of the box, supposedly to help the environment. A little later they cut the contents to 80. Now there are 72 per box.

So, a 28% cut. Inflation is back up but things like this won’t be included or even noticed. It also explains why we keep running out.

Any others?
A pint!, you always had oversized glasses and so always got a full pint, now you can lose 10% in some pubs with size of the head.

Was thinking more of proper beers rather than lager like

Theres more proper beers around due to craft beer being in vogue, but they also cost a lot more. The main brands are in the main weaker than they used to be. Even special brew is down to 8% from 9%
Then theres carling which is being advertised at 4% but actually 3.7%

Loads ,beer can sizes,bottle sizes
Bottles of Coke ,used to be 2ltr bottles,now its 1.5 and 1.25 ltrs as well
4 Choc bar packs,seem a bargain but they're 60% of the size
Asda rollback the Vimto still from £1 to £1.50 :lol:
To be fair when I was a lad you could only dream of a 2 litre bottle.1.5 was living the dream.

I remember Rolo/Nestle getting caught out on a bit of a lie, or massaging of the truth, a few years ago. They had a campaign about how they were adding an extra Rolo to the tube, out of the goodness of their hearts, to give to someone you love. A family came forward and said that they'd had a tradition for years where on a certain day every week, they got a tube of Rolos and everyone in the house had one - there weren't any leftovers. A couple of months before the campaign, the family noticed that they were suddenly starting to be one Rolo short. They weren't adding a free one at all - they were just putting back the one they'd just taken out :evil:

Bulmers, down from pint bottles to 500ml last year. When we pointed out to the supplier that the price hadn't gone down we were telt that apparently it was what the public wanted, like most continental lagers that come in 500ml bottles.

One for the oldies: how does the big old tins of sweets compare with wages?

I didn't get a lot of sweets as a bairn (cue violins!) so getting the massive tin of Roses at Christmas was a huge event. I was curious as a tin of sweets these days is less than an hours wage at minimum wage, so how did the bigger tin compare to the average salary in the 70's and 80's?

One for the oldies: how does the big old tins of sweets compare with wages?

I didn't get a lot of sweets as a bairn (cue violins!) so getting the massive tin of Roses at Christmas was a huge event. I was curious as a tin of sweets these days is less than an hours wage at minimum wage, so how did the bigger tin compare to the average salary in the 70's and 80's?
When you're a bairn wages mean nowt, I never got tubs I got a selection box .In the secondary school in the 70s the bus to school was 2p, I u walked you get a quarter of a quarter of midget gems ,hope that helps :lol:

When you're a bairn wages mean nowt, I never got tubs I got a selection box .In the secondary school in the 70s the bus to school was 2p, I u walked you get a quarter of a quarter of midget gems ,hope that helps :lol:

4 1/2p for 2oz of sweets in Auchterlonie's on Hylton Road. The generous Jock that he was he used to sell you 4oz for 9p. That was mid/late 70's.

Chocolate bars and biscuits.

I think it will continue, all profiteering and the government will do absolutely nothing to prevent this.

The weight and price are clearly displayed.

WTF could govt do about it ? :lol::lol:

Coke down from 2 litres to 1.75 in a new more convenient bottle......the shitehawks

Then don't buy it if it pisses you off so much :rolleyes:

Poundland KP Nuts down to 170g now.
I'm sure they were 500g at one time:evil:

You can buy either size !!! Large or small !!

Last edited:
The weight and price are clearly displayed.

WTF could govt do about it ? :lol::lol:

Then don't buy it if it pisses you off so much :rolleyes:

You can buy either size !!! Large or small !!
They could encourage companies not to do things. The public as usual are being treat with contempt and imo a government is there to protect the people.

If you enjoy paying more money for a lesser product then fair enough.

I dont

They could encourage companies not to do things. The public as usual are being treat with contempt and imo a government is there to protect the people.

If you enjoy paying more money for a lesser product then fair enough.

I dont

It's not though is it? It's a smaller product for the same price. The alternative is keeping the same size but the price would keep going up due to inflation - and then everyone would complain about that...

People are fat because they over-eat and are under-active compared to previous generations, not because of what they eat (or what the food contains.) Nobody gave a toss about sugar when we all had active jobs, and they lived longer than we do.

The invention of the desk job started it, the increase in portion sizes put the final nail in the coffin. It's unbelievable how much food is served for one person when you eat out, nobody needs that much food in one sitting.
Very true!

Back