Heysel Disaster 34 Years Ago Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember watching it on tele, bizarrely especially now that the game still went ahead after a long delay

Yes, and the game itself was understandably a pointless sham. Loads of people dead, Liverpool players obviously not wanting to compete. I suppose the authorities were scared things would get even worse if they cancelled the game, but it seems incredible now that a game of football was played as bodies were lying in rubble yards away.

My condolences for all those who died, and all those who loved them. A horrible night, unbelievable scenes that you can't 'unsee'.

Me too, just. I remember thinking (and i was about 9 at the time) what the hell are they doing playing this game still.
Wasn't it a case of just being a slightly better option than abandoning it and having all the fans leaving together while the emergency services were still dealing with the immediate aftermath? I think it would also give things a chance to cool down too.

It wasn't really one a kind though - that sort of hooliganism was happening often, only that time, it finally exposed a weakness in the concrete - (poor maintenance).
But it didn't fix much... only a few years later Hillsborough exposed yet another weakness in safety (one that had illustrated before and had nothing done about it).

I can see what you're saying in terms of 'on off' - but in other ways, it really wasn't. Sooner or later, hundreds of fans charging hundreds of other fans is going to end in deaths. It not a supporting wall collapsing, then trampling, or crushing etc...

Yes, and the game itself was understandably a pointless sham. Loads of people dead, Liverpool players obviously not wanting to compete. I suppose the authorities were scared things would get even worse if they cancelled the game, but it seems incredible now that a game of football was played as bodies were lying in rubble yards away.

My condolences for all those who died, and all those who loved them. A horrible night, unbelievable scenes that you can't 'unsee'.

Juve reaction in years after so bad too, it sounds like as they hadn’t ever won it before they didn’t want to devalue their win as such

Reading some of thr stories is horrific, fair enough policing not great and it shouldn’t have been played there but thr behavior of those Liverpool hooligans is shameful

The detective in charge of getting the hooligans was from liv and was there, he said Belgium didn’t wanna prosecute and he thinks nobody served a sentence

Also said it was unfortunate no agreement existed between uk and Italy as they would have nailed them

It wasn't really one a kind though - that sort of hooliganism was happening often, only that time, it finally exposed a weakness in the concrete - (poor maintenance).
But it didn't fix much... only a few years later Hillsborough exposed yet another weakness in safety (one that had illustrated before and had nothing done about it).

I can see what you're saying in terms of 'on off' - but in other ways, it really wasn't. Sooner or later, hundreds of fans charging hundreds of other fans is going to end in deaths. It not a supporting wall collapsing, then trampling, or crushing etc...

You’re wrong

The collapse of the wall saved lives

It released pressure a lot more people would have died through thr crush

You can say it would have happened eventually but it happened here and those Liverpool fans are responsible and should have gone to jail for a long time

Last edited:
Juve reaction in years after so bad too, it sounds like as they hadn’t ever won it before they didn’t want to devalue their win as such

Reading some of thr stories is horrific, fair enough policing not great and it shouldn’t have been played there but thr behavior of those Liverpool hooligans is shameful

The detective in charge of getting the hooligans was from liv and was there, he said Belgium didn’t wanna prosecute and he thinks nobody served a sentence

Also said it was unfortunate no agreement existed between uk and Italy as they would have nailed them

You’re wrong

The collapse of the wall saved lives

It released pressure a lot more people would have died

I'm not wrong.
Nobody knows what would or would not have happened otherwise... but besides which part of my post do you believe is wrong? I said sooner or later, when hundreds of hooligans rush at others, sooner or later, deaths will occur - and that's precisely what did happen.

I'm not wrong.
Nobody knows what would or would not have happened otherwise... but besides which part of my post do you believe is wrong? I said sooner or later, when hundreds of hooligans rush at others, sooner or later, deaths will occur - and that's precisely what did happen.

The wall collapsing bit, it’s true that’s what came out from inquiries would have been a bigger crush with more people sadly dead

Anyway I read that before but don’t think it’s best to get into it too much

Awful like it just angers me people got away with it

Last edited:
The wall collapsing bit, it’s true that’s what came out from inquiries would have been a bigger crush with more people sadly dead
I'll repeat, which bit of the wall collapsing bit is wrong - the wall collapsed. I never said anything about what might have happened had it not collapsed. That's speculation, but since I didn't mention it at all, which part is wrong?

I might be wrong but wasn’t Ian rush playing for Juventus too?
Bizarre how things come back to you, pretty sure it was on bbc1. I must have been 10 at the time

I might be wrong but wasn’t Ian rush playing for Juventus too?
Bizarre how things come back to you, pretty sure it was on bbc1. I must have been 10 at the time
I'm sure he joined them a couple of years later.

You can find the BBC coverage on YouTube. It starts with studio based Jimmy Hill having a light hearted bit of banter with Wogan whose chat show preceded. I think he would have known there'd been some trouble, but not deaths at that stage.

He then says "And now we go over to our commentator in Brussels, John Motson". And of course it was Barry Davies, who would probably have felt like throttling him in normal circumstances.

Last edited:
I remember at the time certain sections of Liverpool fans were saying the riot/charge at the Juventus fans was the work of other English hooligans who were present at the game..in particular Chelsea.

People who use Heysel as a way of having a dig at hillsborough are as bad as those responsible at Heysel and those responsible at Hillsborough. Utter scum
Quite right although I haven't seen or heard anyone having a dig at Hillsborough on here. Whether people like it or not, Heysel had a huge impact on English football and the consequences were huge. I thought it would get some coverage in the sports news.

People who saw the disaster unfold at the time may remember the video of the Juventus fan on the pitch firing a pistol into the Liverpool fans on the terraces as the tragedy was happening. It turned out the gun was in fact a starting pistol and he was firing blanks into the crowd and although the shooter was caught he was never prosecuted. He became a bit of a hero back home among football fans but try finding that video now, you wont, it seems to have disappeared from history like it never happened. Anything to do with his father being a multi millionaire? Who knows but you wont find it apart from a couple of still photos from it that exist. What happened was disgusting but it wasn't just the Liverpool fans that rioted that day.

Quite right although I haven't seen or heard anyone having a dig at Hillsborough on here. Whether people like it or not, Heysel had a huge impact on English football and the consequences were huge. I thought it would get some coverage in the sports news.

Why would it - not like 34 is a significant anniversary. I understand this will mean something to those closer to it and needs to be remembered by us all but not every year.

....but it wasn't just the Liverpool fans that rioted that day.

I think you'll find that the Juve fans started causing bother AFTER they'd heard reports of their compatriots dying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back