Heysel Disaster 34 Years Ago Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just said nice of them

Ah right mate, fair dos.

Glad you respect that Liverpool done something good and fair in acknowledging the disaster, and a tribute to the fans who died. I think it's a good gesture, as well as could possibly be asked for, and I mistook your sincerity for sarcasm, so respect to you.

I think its more to do with respect for those who lost their lives.

So people wanted more media coverage in respect to the people who lost their lives?

That's not usual though is it? Like, we don't remember the anniversary of every disaster/mass loss of live, and see it gain significant media coverage?

It's hardly strange that it hasn't been mentioned, similar to how the Zeebrugge sinking isn't marked by an anniversary, or the 7/7 bombings isn't wrote about every year en masse.

Last edited:
Make no mistake, Hillsborough and Heysel were very different incidents, and Liverpool were such a successful club, they played in the biggest and most volatile of atmospheres. Their support was and remains huge.
Heysel came about in part due to an entire culture / climate of hooliganism, anti-English sentiment (and a willingness for English fans to live up to their lousy reputation), and a disregard for fans safety (partly brought about by their own actions).
As with Hillsborough, a combination of events conspired to create a tragedy. Poor segregation, poor stadium selection, poor condition of the stadium AND hooliganism all contributed.

Indeed, Heysel was used to apportion blame for Hillsborough - but they were very different incidents.
The only thing they had in common were - the same set of fans (but that's largely down to the sheer numbers of them and their omnipotence in Europe at that time) and the general lack of regard for safety (by today's standards).

Hooliganism played a part in Heysel - a significant part. Hillsborough not at all.

I keep hearing people trying to claim that it's been overlooked. Er, it was probably the biggest watershed moment in the English game over the last 50 years. The Premier League was created as part of a rebranding of English football in response to the fall out and European ban. I don't think it's been forgotten about.

I keep hearing people trying to claim that it's been overlooked. Er, it was probably the biggest watershed moment in the English game over the last 50 years. The Premier League was created as part of a rebranding of English football in response to the fall out and European ban. I don't think it's been forgotten about.

They never really took responsibility for it

I disagree

Heysel stadium disaster: ‘I saw the rows of bodies piled high’ | Football | The Guardian

Done difficult stuff to read from a journo there

Shameful really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back