Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike J

Winger
Right it's time for me to get off my arse and sort my health, weight, lifestyle out. I'm 6ft, 39 and 17 1/2 stone (I know) what is the best starting point? I know I need to cut down on the booze, eat more healthily, but not sure where to start with the excersie.

In the past I have gone to the gym and used a personal trainer, but my motivation is on the floor at present, any hints, tips, reading material etc would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers in advance

I'm no expert but I can tell you how I've lost 1 1/2 stone and counting...

I watched my calories, only had 1700 a day to start off with (I'm much smaller and lighter than you tho so you don't want to go that low), i swapped coffee at work for a litre of water (still had a cuppa on my break and dinner tho), and I went running (started off with 2 mile which i struggled with but now i can go anywhere between 6 and 10 and I'm doing the GNR).

Currently I don't watch my calories and basically eat what I want within reason. Ive only had 1 take away in 3 months but still have chocolate and pop. I go running at least 4 times a week, sometimes 5 or 6 and I feel so good. I know it sounds harsh but just get off your arse, get your trainers on and get running. In a months time you will feel so much better...

I'm quite early in my diet / lifestyle change and so far i've lost 8lbs in 5 weeks.

I'm using a tool call MyFitnessPal and recording what i eat & all the exercise i do and it sets me goals.

Same as King i'm smaller and lighter then you, so you will need more just to get through the day.

I can eat upto 1800 calories a day without any additional exercise at all. So to do this:

I skip break fast, just have black coffee
I have 700 calories for lunch (thats allot TBH, i was stuffed off 430 yesterday)
I have a snack @ 4pm which is normally a bag of Quavers and a piece of fruit
I have my evening meal which I normally aim for 900-1000 calories.

I walk at least 2 miles a day with the dogs (in addition to the mile i used to do) which is around a 150 cal bonus.

I run every night, at least 3 miles which is about 290-330 depending on my route. I'm adding some sprinting in next week aswell.

I use these bonus calories on a couple pints on the weekend. :cool:

I'm quite early in my diet / lifestyle change and so far i've lost 8lbs in 5 weeks.

I'm using a tool call MyFitnessPal and recording what i eat & all the exercise i do and it sets me goals.

Same as King i'm smaller and lighter then you, so you will need more just to get through the day.

I can eat upto 1800 calories a day without any additional exercise at all. So to do this:

I have 700 calories for lunch (thats allot TBH, i was stuffed off 430 yesterday)

I walk at least 2 miles a day with the dogs (in addition to the mile i used to do) which is around a 150 cal bonus.

I run every night, at least 3 miles which is about 290-330 depending on my route. I'm adding some sprinting in next week aswell.

never used owt like this but ive just downloaded it......its brilliant! you can even scan barcodes! I am very impressed. Although it says I should be on 1750 calories a day......

that is losing 2lb a week, but still!

:eek: thats abit excessive like. :lol: can't believe you've never heard of MFP - it's absolutely class and I owe my weight loss to it thus far. Although i'm becoming very OCD with my food.

:eek: thats abit excessive like. :lol: can't believe you've never heard of MFP - it's absolutely class and I owe my weight loss to it thus far. Although i'm becoming very OCD with my food.
its always a danger, makes me eat more cause i'm constantly thinking of food. 1750 is losing 2 lb a week and no exercise. Damn my sedentary job! I'll be going over my calories today but reigning it back in with a run.

cracking tool

never used owt like this but ive just downloaded it......its brilliant! you can even scan barcodes! I am very impressed. Although it says I should be on 1750 calories a day......

I use it and I'm only allowed 1200 calories a day

its always a danger, makes me eat more cause i'm constantly thinking of food. 1750 is losing 2 lb a week and no exercise. Damn my sedentary job! I'll be going over my calories today but reigning it back in with a run.

i was in the Metro Center last night and I treat my self to a Burger King cos i've been good. I was at the front of the queue for ages asking what calories were in what :lol:

oh, took me 20 minutes to pick out my lunch aswell. :mad:

Logon or register to see this image

i'm also at a desk all day, i work from a home office so there is very little walking. All my weight came when i stopped smoking 2 years ago, 2 stone in 6 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look at JEFit Ross, I've been using it and trying other people routines which are easy to download and sync to your iphone/android handset. Best one i've came across by a country mile.

http://jefit.com/

My fitness pal definetly works if you stick at it.
I've lost 1 stone 2 Ibs in 4 weeks and my goal is 1400 cals a day, i go to gym and run 400 cals off every day except sunday like, and very rarely eat as much as 1400 cals, and i'm 6 ft and now 13 stone 13 Ibs, was just over 15 stone a month ago.
Going to start cutting now, lose 2 Ibs a week whilst toning for a few weeks and hope i can see results.

Its a good app for food dietary purposes but quite poor for exercise recording. I have had a look and it only seems to register Cardio based work. Any strength training it does not seem to register anything.

Its a good app for food dietary purposes but quite poor for exercise recording. I have had a look and it only seems to register Cardio based work. Any strength training it does not seem to register anything.
bit of a shitter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back