Heatwave coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

had 1 nest in our garden

Wasp warning as hot weather brings 'worst year ever' for stinging insects

This summer is one of the worst we have had for wasps, pest controllers have said, because of the hot weather. The worst wasp behaviour is yet to come, according to experts, with a warm autumn expected, which will cause a longer lifespan for the stinging creatures.

By that time, the queens will be back in hibernation, so the worker wasps will have no purpose and spend the weeks in desperate search of sugar, invading pub gardens and al fresco dinners.

Natalie Bongay, technical officer at the British Pest Control Association said pest controllers across the country are having to destroy up to 15 wasp nests a day.

winter tan :D

But temperatures will increase next week, with the potential of touching a heatwave in September.

James Madden, Exacta Weather forecaster, predicted autumn temperatures as high as 30C. He said: "There are now some absolutely epic and consistent heatwave projections coming out for the start of autumn.

"There is every chance that Britain could be drenched in prolonged periods of sunshine and very high temperatures.

"It is now with high confidence that we can say that the warmth from the summer will extend into much of September and the start of autumn, so an Indian summer is almost as certain.

winter tan :D

But temperatures will increase next week, with the potential of touching a heatwave in September.

James Madden, Exacta Weather forecaster, predicted autumn temperatures as high as 30C. He said: "There are now some absolutely epic and consistent heatwave projections coming out for the start of autumn.

"There is every chance that Britain could be drenched in prolonged periods of sunshine and very high temperatures.

"It is now with high confidence that we can say that the warmth from the summer will extend into much of September and the start of autumn, so an Indian summer is almost as certain.
GTFI

had 1 nest in our garden

Wasp warning as hot weather brings 'worst year ever' for stinging insects

This summer is one of the worst we have had for wasps, pest controllers have said, because of the hot weather. The worst wasp behaviour is yet to come, according to experts, with a warm autumn expected, which will cause a longer lifespan for the stinging creatures.

By that time, the queens will be back in hibernation, so the worker wasps will have no purpose and spend the weeks in desperate search of sugar, invading pub gardens and al fresco dinners.

Natalie Bongay, technical officer at the British Pest Control Association said pest controllers across the country are having to destroy up to 15 wasp nests a day.

My diy wasp trap worked a treat at the caravan. Cut the bottom of a 2L pop bottle off, and turn it upside down like a funnel, and stick on with tape
300-500ml of full fat pop or cider
Then just leave out somewhere that wont bother you

Left mine for 3 weeks, and had about 50 wasps in it. Cost £2.

My diy wasp trap worked a treat at the caravan. Cut the bottom of a 2L pop bottle off, and turn it upside down like a funnel, and stick on with tape

Can't wait for the new 'wasp infused' cider line to be introduced!

walking dog yesterday & something landed on me arm, bugger stung me straight away. even today if i touch it, its sore.

First Asian hornet sting in British Isles amid fears insect could reach the mainland

An Asian hornet has stung a member of the public for the first time in the British Isles, amid fears the aggressive insect could spread to mainland Britain.

A 69-year-old gardener was rushed to hospital in Jersey after being stung near the eye by the hornet whilst cutting a bush at his local bowls club.

It comes after a French farmer was killed last week by an Asian hornet sting after suffering an anaphylactic shock.

The insects, which are believed to only pose a threat to people with bee sting allergies, originate from south east Asia and first made their way to Jersey from northern France in October last year.

Diane Roberts, a member of the British Beekeeping Association, said that authorities in Jersey have been “completely overwhelmed” with reports of Asian hornet sightings.

walking dog yesterday & something landed on me arm, bugger stung me straight away. even today if i touch it, its sore.

First Asian hornet sting in British Isles amid fears insect could reach the mainland

An Asian hornet has stung a member of the public for the first time in the British Isles, amid fears the aggressive insect could spread to mainland Britain.

A 69-year-old gardener was rushed to hospital in Jersey after being stung near the eye by the hornet whilst cutting a bush at his local bowls club.

It comes after a French farmer was killed last week by an Asian hornet sting after suffering an anaphylactic shock.

The insects, which are believed to only pose a threat to people with bee sting allergies, originate from south east Asia and first made their way to Jersey from northern France in October last year.

Diane Roberts, a member of the British Beekeeping Association, said that authorities in Jersey have been “completely overwhelmed” with reports of Asian hornet sightings.
I saw some massive flying insects over in Portugal this year. God knows what they were, I didn't hang around long enough to find out. No doubt they'll be over here within the next few summer's.

Gorgeous and sunny today, but sadly I think we've seen the last of the major heat this year.

Reactions: PTR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back