Heart wrenching scenes in movies

Lesser known film but the most heart wrenching I've ever seen. Thoroughly crushed me. This scene is the most devastating if you can sit through 7 mins.

The final scenes of “Pay It Forward” - it actually probably the first film had me gasping for breath being choked up with tears.

when the lass with the beard is singing “This is me” in The Greatest Showman - Gets me every time and I’m not even sure why!

The last hour of “Hachi a Dog’s Tale” - probably hits harder than Marley & Me

Avengers: End Game - “On your left” and build up including music to “…Assemble” - ‘cos I’m a soft shite marvel comics nerd :oops:

Last edited:
See I was scrolling through to see if anyone put the bit when Emma Thompson has opened the present. She is in the bedroom listening to her CD and you can actually see her heart breaking before your eyes. Actually right before your eyes. It breaks my heart seeing her sadness. Great acting.
Fantastic actor. Another great heart wrenching scene with her in is the end of Remains Of The Day at the bus shelter.

The end of Life Is Beautiful with Roberto Benigni.

The end of Cinema Paradise when he watches the film reel that Alfredo had kept.

Pretty much the whole of Michael Haneke's Amour, a film about the steady decline of an octogenarian couple after one of them has a stroke. Tough watch for anyone who's had loved ones go through similar.

Toy Story 3 nearly got me, when they are in the furnace. I was with my kids so had to be brave.
I was watching it with my daughter. She turned to me at the end when Andy is giving his toys away and said, "Dad? Are you crying?". I was trying to hide it with coughs and shit but she knew. :lol:
The one that really got me was Beasts of the Southern Wild. [spoilers ahead] It's about a little girl that leaves her Dad after an argument to go and search for the Mother she's never met. She finds the Mother, spends a day with her, then returns home to her Dad. The ending scene of her returning home (video) had me crying like a bairn. She reminds me of my own daughter, especially her stubborness.

Last edited:
The ending of Schindler`s List when survivors and their relatives put stones on Schindler`s grave as a mark of respect. Just the scene and that beautiful, haunting melody played on a violin is just about the most moving scene that I`ve ever seen:

See I was scrolling through to see if anyone put the bit when Emma Thompson has opened the present. She is in the bedroom listening to her CD and you can actually see her heart breaking before your eyes. Actually right before your eyes. It breaks my heart seeing her sadness. Great acting.

I was torn between the two scenes.

The bedroom scene gets me as well for the reasons you mention, then she goes back down and puts a happy attitude on for the children even though she is breaking inside.

Not so much in films because I’m hard as owt but there’s an episode of scrubs with Brendan Fraser in it which sent me, in fact a later episode where one of the nurses dies had me a wreck.

Where cox thinks hes going to jacks birthday party but its actually his funeral. One of the best written episodes of a show

I was torn between the two scenes.

The bedroom scene gets me as well for the reasons you mention, then she goes back down and puts a happy attitude on for the children even though she is breaking inside.
See I am filling up just reading your post.

We are soft buggers aren't we.

Jude. Pretty much all of it. Actually manages to be more depressing than the book its based on, but if you want a particularly difficult few minutes then the "because we are too many" scene is probably the go to. On the plus side before that you do get to see Kate Winslet in the nip so turn off the movie there.

Back