Have you ever used a word or phrase trying to sound ‘cool’ or ‘part of the gang’ that you immediately and/or still regret?

I live behind a pub car park , where the local youth gather.
I park in the pub car park as it is easier to get out on a morning.
I came in late from work , parked up , and had to walk right through them all.

I said “ Wagwan “ to them.
They all looked at me like I was daft.

I park elsewhere now. Dreading mischief night.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not the same but was on the bus one time and bus stopped at Ryhope where I waved at some miniature horse in a field. I was mortified when I realised what I was doing and didn't dare turn round and look to see if anyone had noticed 🫣
That is laugh out loud funny

You have to own situations like that though

A simple turn to someone sat nearby, shrug and mutter "ignorant isn't it ...🙄?" would have done just that

Was just talking to the eldest about MLE (Multicultural London English) tonight. He knew what all the terms were from when he was at uni, stuff like peng, hench, wagwan blue etc and I didn’t have a clue. Suppose I’m officially old :cry:

Was just talking to the eldest about MLE (Multicultural London English) tonight. He knew what all the terms were from when he was at uni, stuff like peng, hench, wagwan blue etc and I didn’t have a clue. Suppose I’m officially old :cry:
Noted

Never take "in" fashion/cultural advice from an old person - a good rule to live by

Sorry, I don’t know how to tag other posters, but, lucky, your post about the miniature horse had me nearly pissing myself laughing, I’m laughing think about it right now. Not in a taking the piss way, but in a ‘been there, done that’ way. Like five-quarter said, I hope you embraced and owned the situation.

There's a few younger people at my place, I regularly reference Nanalan or the word "slay" just to kind of embarrass them haha

Sort of but I wasn't trying to be cool just using a word I always have.
Playing pool I said something was mint and heads snapped round as if I'd said a racial slur.
Apparently they hadn't heard that since school and were most amused.

Not the same but was on the bus one time and bus stopped at Ryhope where I waved at some miniature horse in a field. I was mortified when I realised what I was doing and didn't dare turn round and look to see if anyone had noticed 🫣 .
Waving is a wonderful simple happy act, never be ashamed of waving at another person, human or not!

Next time you walk around town past traffic, wave at the drivers filing past. You'll find probably half of them wave back, and you can cheer and smile at their reciprocation. You've made their day a little better, a little confusing but a little brighter. This works better after a few drinks.

It is also much fun waving at people on adjacent slow moving trains, particularly as your train pulls out at the same time as another in the same direction and the few mph difference means that you can wave at every window seater on the other train for a second or so each. Celebrate silently but energetically if they wave back, and they can't help but smile.

Waving is a wonderful simple happy act, never be ashamed of waving at another person, human or not!

Next time you walk around town past traffic, wave at the drivers filing past. You'll find probably half of them wave back, and you can cheer and smile at their reciprocation. You've made their day a little better, a little confusing but a little brighter. This works better after a few drinks.

It is also much fun waving at people on adjacent slow moving trains, particularly as your train pulls out at the same time as another in the same direction and the few mph difference means that you can wave at every window seater on the other train for a second or so each. Celebrate silently but energetically if they wave back, and they can't help but smile.
Class. but the disappointment when someone doesn't wave back is crushing

Saw someone I know on a slow moving bus the other week. Stopped in the street to wave. Half the bus just stared back at me as it passed very very sloooowllllly

I was livid. Confronted them later like. Couldn't accept "I didn't see you" - the other human beings around you did.

Wave Rejection is a thing

Tiny horses get a free pass. Was probably a donkey anyway. They get offended at being mistaken for horses

Last edited:
Class. but the disappointment when someone doesn't wave back is crushing

Saw someone I know on a slow moving bus the other week. Stopped in the street to wave. Half the bus just stared back at me as it passed very very sloooowllllly

I was livid. Confronted them later like. Couldn't accept "I didn't see you" - the other human beings around you did.

Wave Rejection is a thing

Tiny horses get a free pass. Was probably a donkey anyway. They get offended at being mistaken for horses
Double down. You wave at a bus full of people, you'll get enough waves back they will outweigh the rejection. It does sting when someone you know doesn't wave back mind.

Sorry, I don’t know how to tag other posters, but, lucky, your post about the miniature horse had me nearly pissing myself laughing, I’m laughing think about it right now. Not in a taking the piss way, but in a ‘been there, done that’ way. Like five-quarter said, I hope you embraced and owned the situation.
To tag someone just put @ before their name.

Last edited:
Not the same but was on the bus one time and bus stopped at Ryhope where I waved at some miniature horse in a field. I was mortified when I realised what I was doing and didn't dare turn round and look to see if anyone had noticed 🫣 .
Mate bad news @Five-Quarter reckons you have to go back and chin the miniature horse for dissing your wave or everyone will think you are even more sad

Mate bad news @Five-Quarter reckons you have to go back and chin the miniature horse for dissing your wave or everyone will think you are even more sad
No he said minuture horses (and that's what they would be in Ryhope wouldn't they) get a pass cos they can't wave with their wee hooves.

It is that thing tho where you start waving enthusiastically at someone cos you think you know them. They look at you puzzled, look behind them. Then you realise it wasn't who you thought it was and stop and try to bring your arm down nonchalantly.
No way daddyo! No one wants to be no square. You catch my drift?
Huggy bear. I've missed you.

Back