Happy Rabbie Burns Day

Had a burger to celebrate. It's what Robbie would've wanted. Not a fan of haggis, haven't had a clootie dumpling in about 30 years and stopped drinking Irn Bru as a bairn. I'm a disgrace to my heritage. Oh aye and I can't even smell whisky without feeling sick.
To be honest, I've tried a million different whisky and I just can't. The Peaty ones from the islands especially yeah. I can just about manage a Glengoyne or Aberfeldy
She'll learn. Possibly the hard hangover way 🤢
Not a chance, busy eating Cheesy chips now.

Last edited:
To be honest, I've tried a million different whisky and I just can't. The Peaty ones from the islands especially yeah. I can just about manage a Glengoyne or Aberfeldy
I think my trauma stems from the hot toddy my mam made me when I was younger. Was probably made with some paint stripper whisky. Or clearic :lol:

Oh that will be a lovely night. Raise both glasses of whisky to yer Nana mind
Shackleton whisky is really White Horse in disguise with Lagavulin malt in the blend. Nana was a Methodist teetotaller from the Cumbrian village of Midgeholme on the Northumberland border but would have a glass of sherry on auld year’s night!

Shackleton whisky is really White Horse in disguise with Lagavulin malt in the blend. Nana was a Methodist teetotaller from the Cumbrian village of Midgeholme on the Northumberland border but would have a glass of sherry on auld year’s night!
Oh so she was from way up north then, or one of the Islands?

Knew an old couple from Uist who used to travel back up to celebrate the old new year.

Not a big Whisky drinker but can remember types of Whisky that seem to have bitten the dust ? :-

Long John (name on an old Ninian Park stand)
Buchanan's
Dewar's
White & Mackay's

Nowadays, the malt whiskys seem to be more popular ?

Merry as hell. On vodka tho cos (take away my I am Scottish badge) I actually don't like whisky
Oh, a plastic jock. Bet you don't wear a kilt & sporran either :lol: So what do you have on your brekkie cereal then if you don't like Whisky?
Cumbria is in England. Or am I missing something.
Cumbria was part of Scotland until about a thousand years ago so there's probably still stragglers going back (like when they used to come over for football matches).

Last edited:
Cumbria is in England. Or am I missing something.
Ooooh is there a Uist in Cumbria too? Definately an island group I in Scotland. Technically there is a North Uist and a south Uist. They were from South Uist
Oh, a plastic jock. Bet you don't wear a kilt & sporran either :lol: So what do you have on your brekkie cereal then if you don't like Whisky?
Only wear a Sporren on my head when pished and pretending I'm a Billy goat.

Funny enough I eat porridge for breakkie (got my I am Scottish badge back)

Last edited:
Ooooh is there a Uist in Cumbria too? Definately an island group I in Scotland. Technically there is a North Uist and a south Uist. They were from South Uist

Only wear a Sporren on my head when pished and pretending I'm a Billy goat.

Funny enough I eat porridge for breakkie (got my I am Scottish badge back)
I don’t think so, but I can’t actually see any mention of Uist in his posts. I’m confused.

I don’t think so, but I can’t actually see any mention of Uist in his posts. I’m confused.
He said his Nana raised a glass to the old new year. The old new year is celebrated on 12th January in the far north of Scotland and the Islands, so I asked if she was from up north cos I knew an old couple from Uist who went up every year to celebrate old new year.

Then you pointed out there was a Uist in Cumbria too.

I think that's the story so far.

Back