Halloween decorations

"For the bairns....."
Give them a f***ing narky
Was just telling my youngest the other day that there was none of this Halloween malarkey when I was a kid. We had hollowed out turnips (an arduous affair I tell you) and the only thing they sold in our local shop was a witches hat :D Don’t think I saw a pumpkin in a supermarket until the nineties.

Last edited:
we've become totally consumerist, driven by the commericial sector of course.

in asda they had a massive cardboard halloween train full of 2 litre bottles of coke of all things, there was also halloween themed capri-sun if you can believe that

we, as the rampant consumers of all things just go along with it all

'Bairns' are mad for it tbf.

I quite like the fact they are desensitised to stuff that would've scared the shit out of me when I was little.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a canny house as you head through Ford Estate; just North of the Round Robin. Quite tasteful decorations although a bit too many of them.

It doesn't bother me: brings a splash of colour and light as the dark nights draw in.

The bairns do love it. The missus keeps spending money on the f***ing tat every year. This year, seeing as we already have loads of it from last year and the years before that, she was struggling to spend more money bought Halloween cushion covers. So now two weeks out from the event I have to sit on the couch with bat cushion covers.
I'm more than happy for xmas decorations to go up two weeks before but not Halloween. Bollocks to it.

The bairns do love it. The missus keeps spending money on the f***ing tat every year. This year, seeing as we already have loads of it from last year and the years before that, she was struggling to spend more money bought Halloween cushion covers. So now two weeks out from the event I have to sit on the couch with bat cushion covers.
I'm more than happy for xmas decorations to go up two weeks before but not Halloween. Bollocks to it.
Halloween cushion covers ffs :lol:

It's an unwritten rule here that bairns only knock on houses with some kind of decoration displayed to show that they want people to call. I've got a string of pumpkin fairy lights and a garland thing that I put up on the actual day so bairns know I've got sweets to dish out. And of course a carved turnip 😁

Why do so many people feel the need to decorate their homes with this tat 2 or 3 weeks before the event?
Not to sure about 2-3 weeks, but when I was growing up in the 80s in the NE our street and the ones around had several houses with a fair few decorations up for a week or so and plenty of houses had Halloween parties that were kitted out with homemade skeletons on the walls and other scary craft work from the ceilings etc (by that I mean hundreds of spiders made from black pipe cleaners on string).
Halloween cushion covers - class. Ill be taking delivery of “velvet” decorative pumpkins at some point this week. Proper posh and also right sophisticated.

Last edited:
Not to sure about 2-3 weeks, but when I was growing up in the 80s in the NE our street and the ones around had several houses with a fair few decorations up for a week or so and plenty of houses had Halloween parties that were kitted out with homemade skeletons on the walls and other scary craft work from the ceilings etc (by that I mean hundreds of spiders made from black pipe cleaners on string).

Halloween cushion covers - class. Ill be taking delivery of “velvet” decorative pumpkins at some point this week. Proper posh and also right sophisticated.
Can't recall much of that in the 80s myself. Might have been a neighbourhood thing around your way.

Back